Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rem 700 5r

Doug H.

I never owned a bolt gun before, but I've been reading this forum area for a while and I got a nice refund from Uncle Sam so I went and bought a Remington 700 SS 5r, set it in an AICS 2.0 stock, installed a Timney straight trigger set at 1.5 lbs and put a Nightforce 3.5-15 F1 scope with Burris Fastfire dot on the side. I had Bill from Higher Capacity mod a 5 round AI mag to hold 20 rounds. I took it out for the first time yesterday and shot 60 rounds out of it. After about 40 rounds I tried shooting some groups at 200 yards with different ammo. All the groups were under 2 inches but it really seemed to like Black Hills 168 HPBT match ammo. My best 5 shot group is below, 3 of the shots went .3" center to center and the whole group was about 1.25" CTC. I was using one of those 1" black dots from a Shoot and See target to aim at. Now I need to find somewhere with more distance so I can see what it really will do.

Doug

post-8887-039755800 1303268623_thumb.jpg

post-8887-072155500 1303268630_thumb.jpg

Nice, recently I have been cheeting on my pistol and been shooting my 700. I have been getting simular results out of my SPS. My best is around a 1" at 200 yards with hand loads.

I also opted for the timney flat trigger and like it.

post-25415-056374800 1303271953_thumb.jp

Edited by GuyC

Nice, recently I have been cheeting on my pistol and been shooting my 700. I have been getting simular results out of my SPS. My best is around a 1" at 100 yards with hand loads.

Looks like a Surefire comp, how do you like it? I have one of JPs large tactical comps being put on today. Thought it was a good idea to shoot it before the comp install to see if there was any change.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

Nice, recently I have been cheeting on my pistol and been shooting my 700. I have been getting simular results out of my SPS. My best is around a 1" at 100 yards with hand loads.

Looks like a Surefire comp, how do you like it? I have one of JPs large tactical comps being put on today. Thought it was a good idea to shoot it before the comp install to see if there was any change.

Doug

It is effective. It came with this barreled action, but I would buy one now that I have used it.

I have two 5Rs, one in the factory stock the other in an ACIS 1.5, Both have Nightforce Scopes 3.5-15 and 5.5-22. I am also getting excellent sub MOA results with 168s and Varget. Will be swapping factory stock for JE Allen stock. I have the Allen stock on my M1A and really like it. The factory stock is fine as far as accuracy but it starts to beat on you after a while.

5R, slightly tuned up by a local riflesmith/champion benchrest shooter. 45.5g Varget and 168SMK's give me sub moa. i've got a Manners T2A stock just sitting here from a build i've not gotten around to, and i'm seriously thinking up mating up the two...

My best 5 shot group is below, 3 of the shots went .3" center to center and the whole group was about 1.25" CTC.

That rifle should be capable of 1/2 moa groups and you seem to be confirming that. I have read that some "experts" shoot 5 shot groups and measure the three closest shots and record that as the rifle group. The whole 5 shot group is recorded as the shooters group.

That rifle should love 168 SMK's and the Black Hills ammo should be perfect. If you have not already tried it, the Federal Gold Match 168's should also do well.

Edited by Graham Smith