Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cost vs accuracy ratio - .223 bullets

Pro2AInPA

When selecting .223 bullets, is anything as good or better than the Hornady 55gr FMJBT when looked at from a cost vs. accuracy ratio standpoint? I can't make any major matches this year, and the max distance for rifle at the 3 gun matches around here is 200 yards. Barrel is a stainless 1:8" twist.

I've gotten acceptable 200 yard accuracy from Federal XM193, but since I already have a bunch of .223 brass prepped, I think I can save a little bit of money by handloading my rifle ammo for the rest of the season.

I get the exact same accuracy with the Winchester 55 FMJs.. they used to be a lot cheaper, not so much now. Some people don't have luck with them.

The other to look at would be Montana Gold 55s. Depending on how many you buy and shipping, they're about the cheapest way to go.

I use all these out to 300.. no problem

Hornady 55gr FMJ are the way to go for 55gr's. Great out to 200, and will still work at 300 if its not to windy. I have tryed winchester and remington 55's and they are not as accurate as the Hornady's. My best accuracy load comes from Seirra 77gr at 2.250" with r-15 powder.

I really like the Hornady 55 gr. V-Max bullets but at 200 and less they are not that much more accurate than the Montana Gold 55 gr. bullets out of 3 rifles I tested for accuracy with several different factory rounds and handloads. Get a case of MGB 55's and shoot!

I've not shot the Hornadys, but have shot a couple thousand MG's and they have worked very well for me in three different rifles under a variety of conditions.

This is just one man's opinion but... Accuracy is a relative term when it comes to practical rifle. If you were talking bench rest shooting where 1/2 moa accuracy was required, that would be a different story. But for practical rifle, 1 moa or even 2 moa will keep your shots on target at 200 yds, so anything that shoots consistently is going to be "accurate".

Which powder are you guys pushing these with? I'm thinking Benchmark.

H335

+1 on 335, gives me ~2" groups @200 out of both my 18" JP and 20" WOA.

The difference in wind drift at 200y between a 69gr SMK @2850 and a Hornady 55gr @3050 is about 0.12"/mph, so even with a 10 mph full cross wind you're only looking at ~1.2" extra drift (5.2 vs 4.0).

• 2 weeks later...

I like Accurate 2230 still for 55 gr bullets. I found a deal on remington bullets and they are plenty accurate for the price. 2230 meters nice and you can do a shake test to make sure the rounds have powder in them.

I get exceptional accuracy out of Hornady 55 gr spire points with cannelure, they are cheap and accurate. I am loading them with 25.0 gr AA2460 with a Winchester primer, shot out of an AR-15 with a 24" bull barrel 1/8 twist. I buy them in bulk, along with primers and powder, they really do a good job on prairie dogs and coyotes.

BTW, these are loaded on a Dillon RL550 I've had since 1985, and I'm using Dillon dies!

group-1-25-07small.jpg

Edited by g56

• 2 weeks later...

I've run Montana Gold 55 Gr FMJ against Hornady FMJ both using 23.5 - 25.7 grains of H335. The Montana Golds were more accurate for me, consistently outperforming the Hornady's by 1/2" or more @100 yards out of 4 of my rifles over multiple 10-shot groups. 2" 10-round averages over 10 groups with a mix of SS (2) and CL (2) barrels for MG. They're only a fraction of a cent more expensive than Hornady, so that's what I'm using now for short range blasting ammo.

Edited by mizer67