Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Load Data

Alan Meek

ramshot silhouette, 7.5 grains zero 125 jhp at 1.160 oal federal 205 primers

1440 fps from my 5 inch gun

backed down to 7.3 grains to get an average of 1384 fps

load shoots GREAT and is alot cleaner than HS6 and the dot seems to track a bit better.

to me this load feels about like 7625 but w/o flattening the primers near as much and being mucho easier to load.

harmon

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harmon,

How does your major 9 load with Silhouette compare to Power Pistol? I am curious because you mentioned that Silhouette is similar to 7625. I still remember using 7625 in my older 38 Supercomp racegun and I really felt it was flat and easy to shoot. In fact, I liked it better than N350.

I just started shooting major nine and I am using HS-6 and I like it. However, I am always open to trying new things that will help me to better track the dot. I also find HS-6 to be a little dirty but I am not getting malfunctions so it is good for me at this point.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Hs6 is good powder, Silhouette feels slightly better and is slightly cleaner but in retrospect, i dont know if its any "better" than HS6

compared to power pistol, its not as clean, its almost as loud and makes a touch more pressure.

I think it would be a better Hybrid gun powder than one with just a comp.

buy a pound and give it a try... i would start about 7 grains.

Harmon

Here is some load data for ya!

5.5" Kart barrel w/ 4 port comp, no holes

115 Hornady XTP

8.2 HS-6

1.183" C.O.L

Winchester WSR

2 strings shot, one (12 rounds) at dusk, one (12 rounds) at noon.

Dusk Avg. 1479

Noon Avg. 1482

Hope this helps!

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

switched components because of cheapness.

Once fired brass

cheap-ass winchester small rifle primers.

7.1 grains ramshot silhouette

124 grain precision delta 9mm fmj

1.165 oal

avg velocity 1365 fps..shoots pretty soft, touch more flippy than the higher PF old load though..but its certainly something i can deal with.

harmon

How are the black bullets performing? any leading problems? comp crud? etc etc.

Precision Delta != Precision Bullet ;) The PDs are FMJs...

FWIW - if you bulk buy w/ some buddies, you can get HAPs for around $50/K.... although that may have gone up, now, since the last time I bought bullets, but.... The PDs are $50/K delivered, as well.

next bullets i buy are probably gonna be plated berrys or west coast...in great big quanity

they have shot great in my open gun without the lead in the comp that a FMJ gives and cheaper than JHP.

Harmon

tim,

how do those hs6 115 grain ammo feel?

have you shot any 124s to compare?

Im shooting a 5 inch gun w/o ports, and ive got another 9mm getting rebuilt with a 5.5 inch 4 port barrel...Im thinking hs6 and 115 grain bullets might be the ticket for that gun.

Harmon

Harmon, The 124's fell a little softer, but the gun doesnt track as well as the 115's. The 115's feel like a steel load compared to my friends short (4.5" with 4 blow holes) gun. That gun was so violent, it was very hard to shoot. He shot mine and said WTF!! so I think he's going back to a standard 5.5" gun soon. I shot a 38 super using 115's and my 9mm still feel better. I am thinking I might raise it up .2 grains to see if the comp works any better. The comp on the gun is a Doug Jones Titainium 4 port with two saw cuts at an angle on each side of the front of it.

I sand bagged the gun today just to see what kind of accuracy was at 100 yards, and to my suprise it was 2.125"! Thats why I love Kart barrels!

I have changed over to HS-6.

Works the comp better in my Bedell shorty with holes than Silhouette does. Softer in the hand with less pressure than sil. and not as much in your face blast & fire as 3N37.

I have not seen the cleaning issues some have mentioned with HS-6. It is as clean or cleaner than Silhouette or Power pistol in my gun. 125 Zero JHP @ 1.16" at 8.2gr. with no lens hazing. Running a short gun with ports and spacers takes a little more powder/pressure this may make HS-6 burn clean.

Tried to get 115's to major with Silhouette and ran into pressure problems at 165PF. Havnt tried with HS-6 yet, like the feel of 125's. Not to mention HS-6 is cheap, safe and available.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay guys I'm gettinig into 9MM Major and really appreciate the education here. I'm leaning towards 124gr HP bullets and HS6 powder. My question is has anyone used Universal Clays to make major in 9MM?

On thte burn charts it's very close but slightly faster than HS6. I use Universal Clays in Limited for .40S&W and just thinking staying with one powder might be nice.

Is it worth expiermenting with 115gr bullets? One of the charts in this thread has data for both bullet weights. Rumor has it 115gr is harder on the gun, fact or fiction?

Again thanks guys for the info here it saved me tons of time.

• 5 weeks later...

Just chrono'd some rounds through my new-to-me Dawson mini stroker 2 9mm with no poppleholes.

R-P once fired brass

125 gr 9mm Zero JHP

1.170 OAL

WSR primers

SP2 powder

20 rounds through the chrono for each weight

8.7 gr: 166.8 pf w/ no pressure signs

8.9 gr: 168.2 pf w/ no pressure signs

9.1 gr: 172.3 pf w/ no pressure signs

9.3 gr: 177.8 pf w/ slight primer cratering

I also tested True Blue and 3n38. I'll add that information this coming weekend. For now, SP2 was the winner by a noticeable margin. It shot flat and very, very soft. If I didn't have the chrono, I wouldn't have guessed that they were major loads.

Edited by al503

Well I answered some of my own questions such as Universal Calys not working for major.

Nobody picked up on the 115 grainers for 9mm Major so I'm guessing 125's are the way to go.

My expierence so far:

STI 4 ports in comp

125gr JHP Zero bullets

Mixed brass 1.180"OAL

8.1gr HS6

1,347fps

168.4 pf

As always work up your loads carefully as all guns are different especially Open blasters!

I run 115's in both my 38Supercomp and 9mm guns.

It just depends how you like your guns to recoil.

I have always found the 124/125 grain loads to be softer recoiling.... while the 115's tend to be more violent but faster & flatter shooting, which I prefer. There are tons of variables such as gun weight, power burn rate, barrel length, comp configuration, springs, etc. But the basic idea stands.

115g MG CMJ

8.9g HS-6

1.175 oal

Fed SR

Mixed Brass

169pf

I've been shooting this load almost a year and can't find anything that I like better. Fast pairs are closer together than the 124's and it shoots flatter. The powder is dense enough that it's easy to load. If you have HS-6 on hand there's no reason not to try it. A shorty might need another tenth or two.

115g MG CMJ

8.9g HS-6

1.175 oal

Fed SR

Mixed Brass

169pf

I've been shooting this load almost a year and can't find anything that I like better. Fast pairs are closer together than the 124's and it shoots flatter. The powder is dense enough that it's easy to load. If you have HS-6 on hand there's no reason not to try it. A shorty might need another tenth or two.

Wow 8.9gr HS6 man that's alot of powder. I do like how it meters. I'm running a full size gun. Why run a small rifle primer? I've been using a Federal sm pistol primer in all my reloads. I'm intrigued with the 115gr bullet. Is the 115gr MG CMJ a hollow point? What recoil system do you run in your gun? Any shock buff?

I'm going to try it out.

I ran up to 8.9 grains of HS6 while working up my major 9 load. At 1.135" OAL I got 1424 fps average from a Remington 124 JHP. No pressure signs, or excessive primer flow and I was using Federal SP100's! It was a compressed load at that OAL (Glock mag thing) and I had to add a touch more crimp to keep the rounds from self lengthening on me ;-)

The gun would run all day on this load if I wanted to use it. I use 8.6 of HS6 for about 1380 fps at this point, same OAL.

The 115's I use are all hollow points. I think having the cavity in front puts more weight into the rear of the bullet where it spins from the rifling. I have found HP's to be more accurate in my guns.

Rifle primers seem to be able to take higher pressure. Not sure if that's a wives tale or not, but they have never failed me. Federals detonate on a lighter hammer strike. So for me, Federal Small Rifles have always been a successful part of the formula. Never needed to change.

I run a shorty 9mm, or a full length 38super, both using a 10lb recoil spring. I use shock buffs. Don;t recall the brand, but they are pretty soft and somewhat opaque.

Hope this helps. Have fun experimenting.

Wow 8.9gr HS6 man that's alot of powder. I do like how it meters. I'm running a full size gun. Why run a small rifle primer? I've been using a Federal sm pistol primer in all my reloads. I'm intrigued with the 115gr bullet. Is the 115gr MG CMJ a hollow point? What recoil system do you run in your gun? Any shock buff?

Rifle primers are supposed to be able to handle higher pressures. If you work up the loads with SP primers and they look fine then carry on. The MG CMJ looks like a FMJ except that the base is covered so that none of the lead is exposed. The exposed lead will burn and build up in the comp. I'm shooting a 5" gun with a 5.4" bull barrel and a 4 port comp and no barrel holes. It has a standard guide rod with a 9# spring and one shock buff. The Montana Gold CMJ's are the longest bullet profile that I could find. You need the length to get as much bullet in the case for crimping. The bullets that are slightly shorter leave very little for the case to hold on to.

I'm going to try it out.

Rage on!!

When I started developing loads for my 9 Major I wanted to see how many different powders were out there that could make major.

The process I followed was to find the load that would make major and then shoot that load in a couple of matches.

I purposely planned on using HS-6 as one of the final powders that I would try based on the success USPSA shooters had already discovered years ago using WW-540/HS-6 in the 38 Super. I had like the super load so much that when I was shooting my open .40 I used 540.

I have settled on HS-6 as my preferred powder for Major 9. But in the event that I can not get any HS-6 I have the data to use other powders in a pinch.

My current 9 major load

8.4 grains HS-6

Hornady 124gr FMJ-Encapsulated

W-W Small Pistol Primers

Once-fired Federal Cartridge brass, nickel preferred fro Major mathes

OAL 1.160

Caspian Hi-Cap 4.5" Bar-Sto barrell no ports

Alan

Edited by Alan Meek

My current 9 major load

8.4 grains HS-6

Hornady 124gr FMJ-Encapsulated

W-W Small Pistol Primers

Once-fired Federal Cartridge brass, nickel preferred fro Major mathes

OAL 1.160

That's pretty much my load. I use 8.3 gr HS6 but I have a 5.5" barrel no ports.

Its's just good to know since we are squadded together next week ;).

Edited by GTOSHootr