Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Load Data

Alan Meek

I've tried 4 different primers - WSR, FSR, FSP, and CCI-SR. For the same powder and bullet, the lowest deviation was ALWAYS with the CCI. However they don't get as high a velocity as Federal, so don't be surprised.

Update on the hollow-base 115 fmj bullets: In my gun, they are starting to hit the last baffle of my comp, where the 124 JHP Zero does not. So, even though they are super-accurate and work the comp well, you may want to be careful because bullets & baffles don't mix well.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with a 5.5 inch open gun with two 3/16 holes, a shooting buddy makes major with 7625 easy.

6.9 will get him 166.7

7.0 gets 170ish

7.2 gets 179

MG JHP (124 grains)at 1.17, WSR primer

mixed range brass.

it was consistent, accurate and clean, but i felt it had an excessive amount of recoil compared to his SP2 loads.

i think the best shooting 9 load was with HS6

however, if you like the way your super feels with 7625, you will probably like it in the 9 too.

Naturally with Area 3 a few days away, my original load of 7.3 Longshot with the Star 124 fmj starts giving erratic readings. Same load I had been using and didn't change a thing but somehow it lost velocity. I tried changing the OAL and powder charge but couldn't get back the original velocities. I can't figure it out. It has been hot and humid here the past few days but I would hope that isn't the reason for a 30-40 fps drop in velocity. Because it's gonna be more of the same in Lenexa this weekend.

I had a can of HS6 so I tried it. No problem making major at all in my gun. It is a bit dirtier than Longshot but it runs fine.

So right now I am at 7.8 HS-6 loaded to OAL of 1.175. Star 124 fmj bullets, mixed brass, WSR primers. Ave velocity is 1378 which is where I need to be.

It seems to be a bit snappier than the Longshot but the dot still stays in the lens and tracks up and down with very little side to side.

I will check them for accuracy tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from chrono-ing my 3n37 loads. BOLNATS this weekend.

1.165" oal w/ zero 125 gr. jhp

7.7 grains 3n37 (averaged over ten drops to be sure)

average velocity 1400 fps.

It was making like a 175pf!!!

Do I just have a fast barrel? Or am I closer to a kaboom than everyone else that's using this load?

Hell IPSC open pf is only 160, I'm going out tomorrow and try some loaded at 7.5gr.

DP- I had my 3N37 load chrono'd at Summer Blast and A8. Both came out 169Pf. I was happy with the consistancy of the loads at the two matches. I'll probably drop back to 7.7g and test some more. I averaged 10 powder throws and checked one charge every time I added primers.

7.8g 3N37

124g MG CMJ

Fed SR primers

PMC Brass

1.175" Oal

Have you tried going a little longer yet?

nothing like waiting to the last minute, I am leaving for the BOLNATS tomorrow, but I loaded about 15 at 7.4 and will chrono them today at lunch.

As an aside I shot yesterday evening, heading into dark. It's winter here so it's DARK by 1830. Anyway, the fireballs coming out of the top got brighter and brighter. Wooof. 9mm H.E. for sure.

The good news is that the thin air in La Paz actually lets things run faster, so if I make about 162 here, I'l be 165 there no prob. Keep your fingers crossed, I don't know who they have lurking up there and I want the third leg of my "Bolivian Grand Slam". B) OK, so I made that up to sound important, :unsure: but Istill want to win. :D

I'll report back on the chrono this afternoon.

From the Area 3 Chrono:

Para 5"

STI TRUbore S2

9 Major

7.8 HS6

Mixed brass

124 gr Star FMJ

1.175 OAL

Velocity

1364 AVE FPS

170.5 PF

------------------

I also found out that the problems I was having with the velocities of the Longshot loads mentioned previously were due to ambient light messing with the chrono readings. Once I corrected the variances in light on the skyscreens, the readings straightened out and went back to normal. Whew!!!

So my earlier load of 7.4 Longshot @ 1.170 with the 124 Star are fine after all and run about 171 PF.

I shot some of the Longshot and HS6 loads side by side and really can't tell a difference other than the HS6 might be a tad smokier. No difference in POI or accuracy.

Craig

reporting back from the lunch chrono:

7.7 load still made 176pf, average of 1408fps, and a SD of only 8. That's good, isn't it? Where's Blackbird?

Anyway the 7.4 load makes 169pf, so I rushed home and loaded some At 7.1 and we'll see after work.

reporting back from the lunch chrono:

7.7 load still made 176pf, average of 1408fps, and a SD of only 8. That's good, isn't it?  Where's Blackbird?

Anyway the 7.4 load makes 169pf, so I rushed home and loaded some At 7.1 and we'll see after work.

It's always a good feeling to know you can back a charge off even more and still make major than having to keep adding to it.

Craig

• 3 months later...

I bought a pound of HS-7 last week for testing. It's super dense and loads easily. 10 grains had tons of room left for the bullets.

HS-7*****1.175" oal*****Fed 205 primers****MG 115 CMJ****Mixed Brass******

10.0g

Ave Vel=1452

ES=52

SD=17

Ave PF=167.2

10.2g

Ave Vel=1475

ES=33

SD=10

Ave PF=169.6

Edited by .40AET

I bought a pound of HS-7 last week for testing. It's super dense and loads easily. 10 grains had tons of room left for the bullets.

HS-7*****1.175" oal*****Fed 205 primers****MG 115 CMJ****Mixed Brass******

10.0g

Ave Vel=1452

ES=52

SD=17

Ave PF=167.2

10.2g

Ave Vel=1475

ES=33

SD=10

Ave PF=169.6

thats smokin!

how did them federal primers look as far as pressure? how dirty?

whem my 9 gets back from Tripp, im gonna buy a pound of longshot, HS6, and HS7

i have Power Pistol, and IMR 7625 in my current powder cache right now.

At the next big match i shoot im gonna get some VV N350 and 3N38, and 3N37 to try..though i dont think i will use them due to cost and its difficult to get in my area.

the test ammo im sending to Tripp with the gun is loaded with SP2...its a shame you cant get more of that stuff :(

Yup. I LIKE HS7. Too bad they discontinued it.

And you got this information where?

http://www.hodgdon.com/smokeless/shotpist.php

I called Hodgdon. Heard it was discontinued. Called them and they confirmed that it

was indeed discontinued, but they still had a "years supply" on hand. The guy I talked to

said it was being replaced by Longshot. This was in June or July of this year.

Loved the reaction I got when I told him my load was 9.5 gr HS7 under a 124 gr in 9x19.

L----O-----N-----G moment of silence, followed by Ummm-that's a bit over max!

my 2cents on HS7 .. it worked, but was VERY dirty, and I had some inverse Temp sensitivity issues. HS6 worked better for me, but was kind of dirty too,

I guess I'm lucky, I have a stockpile of SP2, so until that runs out I currently use that.

(I'm running a Hardy Mongoose, with 2 popple holes in case you are wondering)

I wish that True Blue did not have the pressure spike that some have noticed, it gave me the most consistant results of anything I've tried so far.

Carl

how did them federal primers look as far as pressure?

Primers were good. I'd go higher if I needed. I tried True Blue with the 115's and the primers were smashed too hard to go any further and I couldn't make major.

It seemed pretty clean. A lot better than the HS-6 or Silhouette. I was considering it for a backup powder in case 3N37 became unavailable again. The HS-7 hit a little harder and was louder than the 3N37, but I think that I could get used to it if I needed to.

There doesn't seem to be any further reason to get interested in the powder if they have made the decision to discontinue it. :angry:

I wonder what he would have said to 10.2????????

Edited by .40AET