9mm Major Load Data

Alan Meek

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried a new load Sunday.....

125gr with Power Pistol. I liked it a lot better than the true blue. Cleaner, less dot wiggle and less pressure problems. I am shooting a 9 major shorty btw. Not sure how it would do with a super, but in the shorty it was great. My load was 7.5, mave need to bump it a few tenths.

i like power pistol in the 9mm, its still loud, and flashy, but not as loud as longshot.

I think i used seven grains of power pistol and a 125 grain master blaster coated bullet to make 163 pf in my glock 34...

If i remember correctly, the primers looked the same as factory loads..

i backed off the charge a bit and it made a good production load at 140 pf.

Tried a new load Sunday.....

125gr with Power Pistol. I liked it a lot better than the true blue. Cleaner, less dot wiggle and less pressure problems. I am shooting a 9 major shorty btw. Not sure how it would do with a super, but in the shorty it was great. My load was 7.5, mave need to bump it a few tenths.

Paul - is that a compressed load? Thanks.

4756 is WAY too bulky to make major. I tried it last year, and even with a basically FULL case, it only made 160ish.

Paul-

Tell us more about Power Pistol. Is it dense like SP2 / TrueBlue? Does it work the comp like slower powders? (It is faster than 7625)

No way 4756 would work....tried some 7625, still to bulky.

Power pistol reminds me of winchester wst or the likes. It is not as dense as true blue or SP2. I'd love to try some sp 2. 7.5 fills about 3/4 of the case, so yes it is slightly compressed. But easy to reload without making a mess. I load on a 550b and don't waste any time at it. * grs of true blue was ok, but I noticed some pressure problems. It was starting to shave the primer, a long firing pin helped fix that but.....

There was a noticible reduction it dot wobble and a more defined vertical track with the power pistol. Looking at several powder burn rate charts it is right above HS6, so it is slower than n340, 7625. I actually liked the hs6 when trying it a few years ago, it was just soo dirty. The best price I have seen was $49.50 for a 4lbs keg. It seems to burn cleaner than True Blue although it does leave a pinkish swab on the c-more. I guess it from how the powder is burning.

Well today was my turn with True Blue. This is a very dense powder! and this is GooD! Worked up to maj. no real signs of pressure.

Liked the way it shot, seemed to track well life is good! then I realized what I did not like :angry: and that is all the pressure back in my face ( 3n-38 does it to )

I guess Ill just go back to sp2 till I find something better.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm scared to try sp2, I may like it and then what??

Tried some 3n37, felt pretty good. But again high dollar and hard to get.

Still like the Power Pistol best. I'm up to 8.1~8.2 at 168 pf. Compressed load but no pressure signs. (do not start at this load, start lower and chrono and work up load slowly).

Next I want to try some Silhouette. It's pretty close in burn rate to PP and n340. Ramshots website claim that it is one of the few powders you can make major with in 38 super. It seems the shorties like the faster side of powders, where the supers I have owned liked the middle end. I keep you updated when I try the Silhouette.

I'd like to find one of the Ramshot powders that I'll be happy with as a local shooter stocks it and gets a good price on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Alan, It was a pleasure actually meeting you last night. Thanks for the handful of loads. I got a chance to shoot them today in the 9 gun, and I really should have shot it last night.

Anyhow to enlighten I am shooting 115 gr jhps on top of about 12 grains of wc818 which is a military powder making about 172 powerfactor. This load is flat but has ALOT of concusion with it.

Alan(major 9 caspian) handed me some of the true blue loads to try out. The interesting thing is they had no more muzzle rise and allowed the same speed shooting but. They had considerably less concusion and were also considerably softer on the hand.

Thanks again now I am going to have to switch back to 124's and do some experimenting.

• 3 weeks later...

9mm Major for Dummies:

At the risk of sounding like a total village deppe (thats idiot to most). Can someone describe 9mm major, is it new, is it the same dimension overall as 9x19 with beefier brass. I own an STI Edge in 9x19. Though I shoot mainly production in minor with my Para 18.9 LDA with my favorite recipe which is: Hornady 147 grain RN with 3.3 grains of TG running at about 127-130 PF. Is 9mm major better/worse/cheaper/more expensive that other 9mm/.38 calibers loaded to major. Was it recently ruled acceptable by USPSA ???.

Someone explain if your feeling sympathetic.

9mm Major for Dummies:

At the risk of sounding like a total village deppe (thats idiot to most). Can someone describe 9mm major, is it new, is it the same dimension overall as 9x19 with beefier brass. I own an STI Edge in 9x19. Though I shoot mainly production in minor with my Para 18.9 LDA with my favorite recipe which is: Hornady 147 grain RN with 3.3 grains of TG running at about 127-130 PF. Is 9mm major better/worse/cheaper/more expensive that other 9mm/.38 calibers loaded to major. Was it recently ruled acceptable by USPSA ???.

Someone explain if your feeling sympathetic.

Jon,

9x19 major has been USPSA legal for years --- for open division only. There used to be a minimum OAL length of 1.250 but that went away a few years ago. A lot of people are trying 9x19 major now --- brass cost is a major advantage. Some other people have a concern over brass from those open guns being picked up by brass scroungers, reloaded and the possibility of a case head separation with a case that's been reloaded to major a few times and is then fired out of a gun with less than ideal case support --- read Glock.

OTOH, 9x19 major (at the shorter OAL) has made the Glock (and others) a viable major 9 platform.....

While the data does not directly corelate to load data for 38 Super and the 38 rimless variants there has been at least a few individuals that used this information to work up loads for their 38 Super. Normally the 9x19 restriction is in case volume and the OAL. In practice the difference in load data has been ~1.0 grains +/-. If anyone decides to use this information to work loads up for a 38 Super I would strongly suggest caution and work up slowly. The loads that I am currently using (8.1g True Blue, 124g MG-CMJ) have been shot in a few different guns, these loads have not show any issues to be of any concern.

Alan

I found longshot in the super to require about half a grain more than what the 9 takes. I will warn you that the pressure in longshot rises quickly once you go over 8gr or so. Work up very quickly. Its a very pleasant(flat) round to shoot but I really had to fine tune the load.

As for other info have not messed with it in the super. I miss 540

Just looking for more success stories in 9mm major with no pressure signs. Currently, I am shooting a 4.75 in govt slide with Dawson #2 comp. I have done searches and I was hoping to find some fresh info/data. I shot a match today with 7.7 gr of TrueBlue (1.144 oal 125grHP) and was seeing some pressure signs. Any help would be appreciated.