Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Load Data

Alan Meek

What's your major 9mm load with N105 powder?

I do not use N105, it is a real pain in the ass to load (even worse than 3N38) but if you wanna try, for example: Federal 205 or Winchester SR primer, N105 8.0 grains, 124gr MG CMJ loaded to 1.17". It is probably too light around PF 150-155 out of 5", but better start safely ;)

Edited by Hannu

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your major 9mm load with N105 powder?

I do not use N105, it is a real pain in the ass to load (even worse than 3N38) but if you wanna try, for example: Federal 205 or Winchester SR primer, N105 8.0 grains, 124gr MG CMJ loaded to 1.17". It is probably too light around PF 150-155 out of 5", but better start safely ;)

AA#7 @10gr w/125gr bullet set 1.17+ should perform a lot like N105 and its not bad to load, I ran that for a while till I found out Silhouette worked a lot better. It was in a 4.13" shorty so a 5" should come in a couple tenths less for PF. Used SPP and the pressure isn't bad but the corners of the primers will be starting to un-round.

I tried N350 never made it to major and didn't like the looks of things or the feel, but it does well in 38SC. 3N37 on the other hand made major easily let you know it in your palm and heated the gun up nice and hot, again 3N37 not bad in 38SC just melts the gun like titegroup.

Newbie Open shooter here and I have a concern about the C.O.L. for 9 major ammo and would like to ask the forum for advise/help.

Been reading this thread for months now getting all info on recipes, seems that the common C.O.L. for this load is around 1.160 to 1.175. I have loaded some test ammo with COL 1.165, using .355 124gr MG JHP and mixed fired brass. When I did the barrel plunk test the bullet seems to be resting on the rifling and the base of the case is not flush with the barrel hood. Short chamber? Barrel is a standard Schuemann Hybridcomp. I cycled the test ammo on my gun and 2 out of 5 rounds will not feed. I was advised to use CMJ instead of JHP.

Now I made some dummy ammo using 1.145 -1.150 and they passed the plunk test and feeds fine. I will not get a chance to shoot the gun til this weekend to actually fire and test the loaded ammo. I'm thinking of loading different ammo using this COL and with reduced powder to minimize pressure but am worried I will not meet required PF. Powder I have on hand are Sil, Auto-Comp, HS-6 and 3n37.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated...

seems that the common C.O.L. for this load is around 1.160 to 1.175. I have loaded some test ammo with COL 1.165, using .355 124gr MG JHP and mixed fired brass. When I did the barrel plunk test the bullet seems to be resting on the rifling and the base of the case is not flush with the barrel hood. Now I made some dummy ammo using 1.145 -1.150 and they passed the plunk test and feeds fine. I'm thinking of loading different ammo using this COL and with reduced powder to minimize pressure but am worried I will not meet required PF. Powder I have on hand are Sil, Auto-Comp, HS-6 and 3n37.

Not sure about other powders, but if you use the standard load

of Winchester Auto Comp (somewhere around 7.0 grains) that will

be fine at 1.145" - I personally load it out to 1.165" for my

STI TruBor, but someone I shoot with usually loads his to

1.145" and has no problem with it-

The pressure and velocity are the same as at 1.165".

7.0 gr WAC leaves a lot of room in the case, and shortening

the OAL doesn't affect compression.

But, not sure about the other powders.

Good luck.

Jack

NC - That looks zakley like my gun with the Bedel only mine has a #3 hole in the barrel. Nowithstanding the hole, the Bedel comp and mine is a TI, likes right at 174-175pf. That barrel comp combo in mine is 38S I was loading 10.2gr of AA#7 and hated the gun then I tried 10.5gr and it flattened out and softened up but the hole put the icing on the cake. Don't blow yourself up but try your 3n38 a little hotter see if it helps.

Thanks for the tip ... I can try up to about 9.1 - 9.2g I think. Primers still looked fine at 8.9g but I'll work back up slowly.

Aaron

Any updates on your hotter 3n38 loads and the comparison w/ N350?

Thanks.

Watch out with N350 and 3N37... So many slides have been cracked with those powders and high pressures they create :(

I would only use Vihtavuori 3N38 or N105 for 9mm Major.

I have been using N350 for about 4-5k rounds. My brass shows NO signs of high pressures. Interesting...

I'am waiting to Ncboiler!!!

I actually haven't done anything else with the N350 since my initial testing. I loaded up 200 rounds with HS-6 and shot those today. I think the HS-6 had a little less dot movement than the 3N38 <_< I probably need to load some more of those and shoot it again in match conditions. I'm not sure when I'll get back to the N350 at this point :ph34r:

I am going to chrono my left over HS-6 loads to see what the PF comes out to.

Edited by ncboiler

Newbie Open shooter here and I have a concern about the C.O.L. for 9 major ammo and would like to ask the forum for advise/help.

Been reading this thread for months now getting all info on recipes, seems that the common C.O.L. for this load is around 1.160 to 1.175. I have loaded some test ammo with COL 1.165, using .355 124gr MG JHP and mixed fired brass. When I did the barrel plunk test the bullet seems to be resting on the rifling and the base of the case is not flush with the barrel hood. Short chamber? Barrel is a standard Schuemann Hybridcomp. I cycled the test ammo on my gun and 2 out of 5 rounds will not feed. I was advised to use CMJ instead of JHP.

Now I made some dummy ammo using 1.145 -1.150 and they passed the plunk test and feeds fine. I will not get a chance to shoot the gun til this weekend to actually fire and test the loaded ammo. I'm thinking of loading different ammo using this COL and with reduced powder to minimize pressure but am worried I will not meet required PF. Powder I have on hand are Sil, Auto-Comp, HS-6 and 3n37.

Schuemann 9 barrels are short chambered according to the listings on the web site. You need a smith to throat the barrel to allow longer OAL. The longer OAL will reduce pressure.

Here is the info from the last loads I tested.

All strings were 10 shots. Indoors with a CED M2 and infrared screens

8.7g VV 3N38

124g Montana Gold CMJ

OAL 1.175"

Mixed brass

Tula small rifle primers

High: 1391

Low: 1360

E.S.: 31

Ave: 1376.8

SD: 10.1

PF: 170

8.8g VV 3N38

124g Montana Gold CMJ

OAL 1.175"

Mixed brass

Tula small rifle primers

High: 1391

Low: 1375

E.S.: 16

Ave: 1384.5

SD: 5.7

PF: 171

8.9g VV 3N38

124g Montana Gold CMJ

OAL 1.175"

Mixed brass

Tula small rifle primers

High: 1410

Low: 1378

E.S.: 32

Ave: 1395.1

SD: 8.2

PF: 172

Ncboiler, thanks for the infos for 3n38, I am just looking for some alternative powders, if you have time, can you post some pics of 8.5gr for 3n38.or maybe can you just describe the difference between 8.5gr. and 8.7,( powder/ brass capacity) I am shooting for IPSC, so 165PF is what Im looking for. thanks again

Ncboiler, thanks for the infos for 3n38, I am just looking for some alternative powders, if you have time, can you post some pics of 8.5gr for 3n38.or maybe can you just describe the difference between 8.5gr. and 8.7,( powder/ brass capacity) I am shooting for IPSC, so 165PF is what Im looking for. thanks again

Here is picture at 8.7g of VV 3N38. There is 0.100" space between the powder and the top of the case.

3N38.jpg

I ran some 3N38 on Sunday

STI Match Master 4.15 barrel

Hornady 125gr HAP bullet

Starline case

9.2 gr got me a PF of 166 to 168

9.3 gr put me a PF of 171 to 172.8

The recoil is alot nicer than Auto Comp & my cases are not bulged as much

It was cold & raining

Schuemann 9 barrels are short chambered according to the listings on the web site. You need a smith to throat the barrel to allow longer OAL. The longer OAL will reduce pressure.

Thanks Fullrace, this is what the 2 local gunsmiths at the range was suggesting when I shot the gun this weekend. Found some CMJ and was able to load them up to 1.175 with no feeding issues. Will look into getting this done to the barrel after I depleted my CMJ supply.

Yep it's packed pretty good. Theres about an .80 of an inch from the powder to the top of the case. My OAL varies between 1.169 to 1.173. If I go to fast I get some powder splash from a Dillon 650 so slow is good.

Edited by cjk2011

just came back from the range, where i chrono'd some loads this evening.

gun: custom sti, 5 inch sti bull barrel, 3 port titanium comp

used load: 6.7 grn vv n350, oal 29.4 mm, cbc casing, fed 200spm, limit-z 124 grn fmj bullet.

shot 10 rounds

hi: 1360

lo: 1277

av: 1318

es: 83

sd: 26

PF: 163.4

load 2: 6.7 / 6.8 n350, the rest same as above

shot 10 rounds

hi: 1384

lo: 1283

av: 1338

es: 101

sd: 35

PF: 165,9

used chrono, comp elektronics pro chrono digital, put in a box with own lighting unit in it.

i also shot 5 rounds with 6.6 grn of n350, and that was about 160.7 PF

Yep it's packed pretty good. Theres about an .80 of an inch from the powder to the top of the case. My OAL varies between 1.169 to 1.173. If I go to fast I get some powder splash from a Dillon 650 so slow is good.

I had issues with OAL with 10gr of Accurate #7, no matter how far I screwed the bullet settng die they still came out 1.175 or longer. I figured the powder was pushing them back out before they got to the crimp station.

...a 19mm case is only 0.74 inches long.....

Ncboiler, Still no testing with N350/3N38?

...a 19mm case is only 0.74 inches long.....

Good eye .080 from the top. Bad info causes Bad Accidents. I'm Sorry.

Ncboiler, Still no testing with N350/3N38?

I'm set with 3N38 at 8.7g, however I am going to set up the chrono on Friday to test some more to get ready for the OH match. 3N38 gives me straight up and down dot movement so it's very predictable. Just a pretty full case which requires a little care when loading.

At the same time, I have about 30 rounds of HS-6 to run over the chrono. I shot these loads at a local match and really liked the dot tracking. If they are 170-172 PF I might just used HS-6 this year.

Might put the N350 on the shelf for a while.