Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Load Data

Alan Meek

I guess the next step is in finding something very close in burn rate to the SP2. Any of you more distinguished gentleman that use to shoot SP2 know of anything like it?

Have not use SP2 but seeing some references that Ramshots True Blue might be close.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone tried Accurate #5 for 9mm Major ? I got couple cans cheap and would now like to give it a try :)

Responding myself :)

Brass new Starline, primer WSPM, bullet MG 124gr CMJ loaded to 1.17", AA #5 8,4 gr = PF 170 from STI Trubor 4.25" (without hybrid holes).

Oh, whoops. Think I confused you with the overseas guy (from Finland, IIRC, which your username appears it could be, also; I was on my iPhone when I posted earlier so didn't see/look for your location) that posted a pic of his Steelmaster with S2 comp, Double Alpha C-more mount, Swensons, left-side slideracker, ICE magwell, and custom-painted red grip.

Oh, whoops. Think I confused you with the overseas guy (from Finland, IIRC, which your username appears it could be, also; I was on my iPhone when I posted earlier so didn't see/look for your location) that posted a pic of his Steelmaster with S2 comp, Double Alpha C-more mount, Swensons, left-side slideracker, ICE magwell, and custom-painted red grip.

Er, Cape magwell.

kguns

Don't shoot the messenger but there is no substitute for SP2. I shot somewhere around 18 lbs of it before they stopped importing and my remaining stash of 7 lbs will definitely be in my match ammo for any tournaments I go to - till that runs out.

True Blue, Silhouette, Power Pistol, and probably a half-dozen i'm forgetting are not in the same league. Not nearly as nice as SP2 at the same power factor. Shoot SP2 with all nickel cases and you'll be cussing the minute you shoot anything else at the same PF.

The only thing that is close in shooting performance, but not in bulk density, is 3n38 powder. SP2 and 3n38 will both stay under SAAMI limits AND shoot soft AND show less flip than just about all the powders out there, my opinion. I've tried a bunch with completely equal power factors.

3n38 has less flip but a little more rocket effect versus SP2 - most noticeable if you shoot around a barricade or shoot one-handed. It is very forgiving of compression which is a good thing because most Major loads require compressing it. It can be used in 9major and even with 115 jhp's - that was my last and best Major load for my 9major glock before i sold it. Does require a lot of OAL checking, for sure. HTH

kguns

Don't shoot the messenger but there is no substitute for SP2. I shot somewhere around 18 lbs of it before they stopped importing and my remaining stash of 7 lbs will definitely be in my match ammo for any tournaments I go to - till that runs out.

True Blue, Silhouette, Power Pistol, and probably a half-dozen i'm forgetting are not in the same league. Not nearly as nice as SP2 at the same power factor. Shoot SP2 with all nickel cases and you'll be cussing the minute you shoot anything else at the same PF.

The only thing that is close in shooting performance, but not in bulk density, is 3n38 powder. SP2 and 3n38 will both stay under SAAMI limits AND shoot soft AND show less flip than just about all the powders out there, my opinion. I've tried a bunch with completely equal power factors.

3n38 has less flip but a little more rocket effect versus SP2 - most noticeable if you shoot around a barricade or shoot one-handed. It is very forgiving of compression which is a good thing because most Major loads require compressing it. It can be used in 9major and even with 115 jhp's - that was my last and best Major load for my 9major glock before i sold it. Does require a lot of OAL checking, for sure. HTH

I don't think I can get enough 3N38 in the case to make major in her 4.25" bbl and 124 MG CMJ's, how much does it take?

Maybe this one? - http://generalcartridge.net/Documents/Major9.xls

Sorry that it's 5 years old & doesn't have my Major load for 3n38 with 115's (somewhere north of nine grains). It does have quite a few loads for 4.25" barrels.

Not a popular answer but for short cartridge and short barrel you WILL find an HS6 load that works well and doesn't give pressure problems. It's a proven combo from the earliest days of Leatham and Voight trying 9x21 loads with Winchester 540, twenty years ago.

Countless posts about how "dirty" HS6/W540 is but it is THE powder that works, regardless of the SAAMI data. I buy it in 8lb kegs.

Personally I would stay away from 3n37 and the reason is heat. Lots of heat. Clean brass comes out, squeeky clean barrel, and you need oven mitts after less than 100 round of Major.

I just tried some 3N38 in a 9x19 case. It's just below the rim at 9.0gr, no way I could get a bullet on top of it without compressing the crap out of it. That rules out 3N38. :(

I see Dan recommends 9.3gr of 3N38 in the shorty. Might give that a try. Thanks for all the help guys! :cheers:

I run 9.4 of 3N38 with a 124 grain bullet and it works just fine in a commander length gun.

Edited by BrianATL

I just tried some 3N38 in a 9x19 case. It's just below the rim at 9.0gr, no way I could get a bullet on top of it without compressing the crap out of it. That rules out 3N38. sad.gif

Kgunz11 - The quest for the perfect load for a shorty major nine is a long one. I have found some nice dirty loads that spill powder all over the loader, but I don't want to spend all my time cleaning the primer punch. 115gr hasn't panned out so my next quest is going to be trying some 121gr loads.

As XRE always says it a system, and if you can't get what you want from the powder then you have to change something else in the system.

N105 is probalby the perfect powder for a Open gun however they need to make it so it will fit in a major 9. Chunky dirty spilling compressed AA#7 is the closest I have found and with a 124 MTG RN 10gr is 172pf at 1.180. Primers are a little flat but it shoots nice, I may just bite the bullet buy some rifle primers and keep cleaning the primer punch. Next best AutoComp just a little more dot movement.

Bevan Grams runs 3N38 in 9 major and I think he said there was .0050 of case above the powder and he pushed the bullet to a depth of .0100. Now that isn't much to crimp to.

3n38 in 9x19 does require a careful loading process. There are tricks to holding the powder in the case such as push against the shell plate or one of the shells as they come around and snap into position. Goal is to soften out that snap. Some presses you can visually confirm the powder charge and seat a bullet on top, all before it comes around & snaps into the ball detent position.

Not a big fan of HS7. It has all the dirty/sticky problems of SP2 such as gumming up the powder bar, without any of the redeeming qualities of SP2. Had much better results with HS6. Might be on this thread already but HS6 with a 115 is softer and flatter than HS6 and a 124 at identical power factors in the four guns I've tried that - 2 supers and 2 9majors.

I got just about the same power factor from 121's and 124's - almost interchangeable with the same powder charge. Can't notice any difference in shooting them either. I was hoping to split the difference between 124's and 115's but with Zero bullets, they don't.

Edited by eric nielsen

This is a photo of 9.3gr of 3N38 in a 9x19 case. It's pretty full.

I have been loading 3n38 for the past year, spillage is a bit of a pita but shoots pretty well with moderate pressure signs. If you want a more reasonably filled case try silhouette or AA#7.

Btw n350 and n340 aren't much less as far as case fillage goes.

Took 10 case loaded with 3N38 and seated a 124gr MG CMJ on there. With the AutoComp powder the COAL is 1.168". By doing nothing but changing the powder to 3N38 the COAL is now 1.180". Evidently the fuller powder of the case is preventing too much compression and limiting the COAL. I'll shoot these 10 through the chrono to verify PF. If the feel is good I'll load some more, but it would have to be REAL good!

Yeah Bobby the spread sheet is old but my 9mm major load I used to use was from that. I used Hs6 for major.

Alan sent me the spread sheet and it has a lot of info on it. I also referenced several burn rate charts and they all have the powders in different order accordingly so no 2 burn rate charts are the same. :rolleyes:

I contacted Hodgdon and told them I'd buy a metric butt load of SP2 if they could get more in country. Tried the same with Kaltron (importer of Viht powders) and they told me the import licenses are pretty hard to get and had to have each product specifically listed on the license.

Grafs told me if I could find someone with the import license they would "match my metric butt ton" purchase because they'd love to have some too for resale.