Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Load Data

Alan Meek

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much does the data roll over for Major 9mm in a Glock say 17 or 34? I know the limits on OAL are there, so how much over spec are you guys seating your bullets?

I'd like to run 115's or 124's. If I have to go higher, it might not be worth it.

Rich

Rich, depending on bullet ogive and which mag basepad extensions you use, you may have to hold OAL at, or under 1.150ish. I need to run my OAL at 1.135" to get 100% function from rounds that push into the basepads I use (Taylor Freelance).

My load data is 8.6 of WW540 (HS6) under a .355" diameter 124gr JHP. I get 1460+ from this in a ported 6" Barsto bbl that slugs out at .355" diameter.

The big thing to remember when looking at other folks major 9 data is to take their bbl diameter and bullet diameter into account and not just assume that charge weight and OAL are the final arbiters of safe pressure. A .356" diameter bullet in a .355" diameter bbl is trouble waiting to happen if you duplicate the load data from someone running .355's in a .355" bbl.

Loading ammo for the open nationals...

8.0 grains HS6, 124 MG JHP at 1.150

federal 205 primers

winchester brass.

my chrono was pissed at me today...i guess because i couldnt get accurate readings on my loads.. fired 100 rounds and the few results i got were over 1400 fps... so im feeling like im not gonna go minor at the nationals.

8.6 grains? jeez, that seems like alot! or it would be alot in my gun..

• 2 weeks later...

8.0 grains and a federal 205 gave me 179.8 power factor at the nationals...

i wasnt going minor...too bad my gun was plagued with a worn out mainspring that wouldnt set off rifle primers 100 percent of the time....and an extractor that was out of adjustment giving me "mystery jams" when i needed speed the most.

picked up some VV powder 3n37 at the nationals.. 7.5 grains at 1.150 with a 124 MG JHP and a WSR primer shoots 1380 fps for a 171 power factor..right where i want it and SO MUCH CLEANER than HS6.

• 3 months later...

Here are the results of my 1st attempt at loading for 9mm major:

Speer once-fired brass, 125gr(124.5 actually)jhp zero, WSP primer, 8.2gr HS-6, and 1.160" COL.

It was 30degrees and cloudy when I chrono'ed the loads through my Schuemann commander barrel w/ 3 hybrd holes. I got an Avg Vel of 1258fps for a lowly 156 pf. Any suggestions on how many tenths to bump it up to get another 100 fps? <_<

It was 30degrees and cloudy when I chrono'ed the loads through my Schuemann commander barrel w/ 3 hybrd holes. I got an Avg Vel of 1258fps for a lowly 156 pf. Any suggestions on how many tenths to bump it up to get another 100 fps? <_<

Depends on your gun, but in my shorty with ports I need 8.6gr. to get 170PF in the cooler temperatures lately. Same components, except oal is 1.155". Last summer 8.4gr. got me there.

Edit: actually, I'm using WSR primers.

Edited by AustinMike

Thanks Mike, I was thinking of giving 8.5gr a try. I'll post my results in a few days...

HS6 worked well in mine too, I have 2 ports in my "shorty" I was able to make 170 PF with 8.5gr, Same kind of thing ... DEPENDING on Temp. In cold temps ( 30 degrees qualifies :)) I had to go to 8.6 too

Carl

Just got back from the range...

Same load data with an 8.6gr powder charge gave me an avg velocity of 1320fps for about a 164pf. It looks like I'm going to have to go up to 8.8gr to get to where I want to be. If I were using WSR instead of WSP it might make a difference as well. There are no pressure signs with the pistol primers so I'll stick with them til I need to buy more, then I'll switch to rifle primers.

I'll report back later with my new data.

Edited by Turtle

I finally mangaged to get out and do some testing. It was indoors, temp around 65, and TERRIBLE light conditions. Only about half the shots registered, only posting data where I was able to get a solid string of shots to record.

Gun is 5.4" KKM bull barrel with Bedell TI comp, no extra holes in the barrel or comp.

Loads were all at 1.195", bullet was Zero 115 JHP, cases were all WCC, primers were all Federal Small Pistol Magnums.

HS-6, 9.0 grains averaged 1521 with an ES of 17, 174.9 PF.

4756, (I just HAD to try :rolleyes: ) 8.2 grains is a FULL case, made 1420, ES of 20, 163.3 PF. With a drop tube or double compression I think it could be done and it shot really soft......

3n-37, 8.8 grains averaged 1490 with an ES of 20, 171.3 PF.

9.0 grains averaged 1537 with an ES of 15, 176.7 PF.

Power Pistol, 7.6 grains averaged 1430 with an ES of 20, 164.2 PF.

Longshot, 7.8 grains averaged 1460 with an ES of 9, 167.9 PF.

8.0 averaged 1475, ES of 15, 169.1 PF.

Silhouette, 8.0 grains averaged 1410 with an ES of 12, 162.2 PF.

8.2 averaged 1447 with an ES of 17, 166.4 PF.

8.4 averaged 1485 with an ES of 12, 170.7 PF.

I had NO pressure signs at all with any of the loads above, primers were all still well rounded and no flow at all.

Next round of testing will be further work on Power Pistol, and 124 JHP work with all these powders and maybe a few more. I am brand new to open shooting so take the following with a couple pounds of salt. I do know that for me HS-6 had the least dot rise but the most lateral dot movement. Longshot has a nice vertical track and easily stays in the lens as does Silhouette. Power Pistol was nice but more vertical dot travel, I think upwards of 170 that it will flatten out nicely. 3N37 is LOUD and HOT, puts a tremendous amount of heat in the gun but a nice vertical dot track that easily stays in the lens. The 177 PF load has very little dot rise at all, almost as little as the 175 PF load of HS-6 but a much more vertical dot track.

3n37 is still in the measure, so that will be what I load for the upcoming match, and the decision really is that simple for me. Hopefully before the spring I will have been able to work a few more powders and bullets to gather some data. Being new to open I will probably just pick a load and shoot it for a while before getting too caught up in the 'best load .....

• 1 month later...
I'll report back later with my new data.

It was a bit cold today (about 25 degrees), but you've got to shoot when you get the chance right? I got some decent results from the latest load: 124gr MG jhp, 8.7gr HS-6, CCI small rifle, 1.160" col. The AVG VEL was 1365 fps and the ES was 30 fps. It shot about an inch group offhand at about 12 yards (don't ask...) which I'm happy with. I'll have to check the load again when the weather warms up just to see what it looks like.

I had failure to extract problems with HS-6 (8.8grns) this past weekend, I loaded the way to short and it caused problems. I just loaded up some 125 JHP zeros using 9.3 grns of 3n38 and an oal of 1.160. Going to the range on thur to try them out ( Man the case is freakin full @ 9.3 grns)

Did you hear that from Hodgdon direct, or just from a dealer that wants to explain away why he ain't stockin' it and sell you something he does stock?

I got the info from the dealer. He told me 6 and 7 were going. He also told me he could get any amount I wanted at this point.