Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Model 41 factory barrel mods.

Hello: I decided to start a new one to show what can be done to a factory Smith and Wesson model 41 barrel. I started with a factory 5.5" barrel and cut the rear sight tang off. I then flat topped the barrel removing the front sight and rib. I then drilled and tapped the two holes for the C-More mounting screws. I then shot it to see what else it needs right now. I dicided it needed a thumb gaurd so I modified a Go Guns *thumb rest [generic]* since I like the way they feel. I have not shot it yet with the *thumb rest [generic]* but will this weekend at the Ruger Rimfire practice match. Here are some pics of the progress so far. Thanks, Eric

post-9254-012251600 1303181051_thumb.jpg

post-9254-002912600 1303181094_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aircooled6racer

Hello: I decided to start a new one to show what can be done to a factory Smith and Wesson model 41 barrel. I started with a factory 5.5" barrel and cut the rear sight tang off. I then flat topped the barrel removing the front sight and rib. I then drilled and tapped the two holes for the C-More mounting screws. I then shot it to see what else it needs right now. I dicided it needed a thumb gaurd so I modified a Go Guns *thumb rest [generic]* since I like the way they feel. I have not shot it yet with the *thumb rest [generic]* but will this weekend at the Ruger Rimfire practice match. Here are some pics of the progress so far. Thanks, Eric

This is the exact mods I had done to my factory M41 barrels before I designed the Bully Barrel. Cool thumb guard! I have incorporated one into the design of my barrel. Who makes it?

Hello: I will be trimming down the barrel but won't know by how much till I shoot it some. The thumb rest is by Go Guns that I cut down to fit the barrel. I am also trying to figure out what kind of slide cuts I want to do that will make it look cool as my kids say :roflol: Thanks, Eric

Hello: Well I had some time on Easter Sunday to work on the slide a little. I tri-topped the barrel, did 4 dinoseur cuts, two slot cuts and a teardrop cut. I think it turned out pretty nice so far. I need to clean up the machine marks and shoot it some more. Here are the pics. Thanks, Eric

post-9254-065422100 1303782444_thumb.jpg

post-9254-026991100 1303782461_thumb.jpg

post-9254-066993000 1303782499_thumb.jpg

Hello: Well I had some time on Easter Sunday to work on the slide a little. I tri-topped the barrel, did 4 dinoseur cuts, two slot cuts and a teardrop cut. I think it turned out pretty nice so far. I need to clean up the machine marks and shoot it some more. Here are the pics. Thanks, Eric

Any idea what it weighs now?

I sitll have a Model 41 that, many years ago, Derek Martin (Accuracy Speaks) sleeved the barrel with a piece of a .22 caliber Anshutz rifle barrel. It's the most accurate pistol I've ever owned. With Eley ammo it will shoot 10 shot groups into 1" at 50 yards, all day long.

be

Hello: I did weight it before I flat topped it and cut the tang off. I have not weighted it now since it may not be finished yet :surprise: I am going to shoot it this week to see how it does and then decide on whether more weight needs to come off and where it needs to come off. Brian that is a very cool idea :cheers: This barrel so far shoots great at 25 yards and CCI SV ammo. Thanks, Eric

• 3 months later...

Hello: I have done one more mod to lighten the slide on the factory barrel. I bored a hole in the front of the barrel to lighten it. It now eights the same as the Bully barrel I have. Here are some pics of it now. I have a friend with a factory 5" barrel I will look at next week to see how the factory lightened it. Thanks, Eric

post-9254-0-33034900-1313202171_thumb.jp

post-9254-0-20442600-1313202184_thumb.jp

post-9254-0-52880700-1313202198_thumb.jp

Hello: I have done one more mod to lighten the slide on the factory barrel. I bored a hole in the front of the barrel to lighten it. It now eights the same as the Bully barrel I have. Here are some pics of it now. I have a friend with a factory 5" barrel I will look at next week to see how the factory lightened it. Thanks, Eric

You know that since you drilled 2 holes that correspond to the C-More mount holes that my 90 degree C-More mount can now be fitted to your gun

• 1 month later...

Hello: Just an update on the barrel. I loaned it out to a friend Rod Current so he could shoot the Nabraska Ruger Rimfire match with it. I wanted him to let me know how it shoots now that it is lighter. I have not heard back from him yet but noticed that he came 2nd at the match. I have a feeling I won't be seeing that barrel anymore :roflol: Congrats to Rod and 1st senior and 2nd overall :cheers: Now to get my barrel back :surprise: Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Can't post a larger pic from here, but my profile pic is my Model 41. I always wanted one in stainless, but I asked Roy Jinks once why Smith didn't make one, he said "we can't keep up with making 'em blued, if we made one in stainless, we'ed never catch up". So I did the next best thing, sent mine off for Hard Chrome and custom work on the 7" barrel. The filled in the sight notch, but kept the length. Removed the front sight and then re-created the fine lines out the length of the barrel. Looks beautiful, and my 7" barrel will also shoot into 1" at 50yards with Wolf or Armscor ammo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Here is a shot of what I did to mine. Milled the top down, cut 1/2" off barrel and diagonal slots. In this pick the C more is just sitting on it. It is actually mounted further back. It is also blued now. Matt of CCC did the machine work.

post-8415-0-24678600-1338504389_thumb.jp

Edited by mwx40x40

Here is a shot of what I did to mine. Milled the top down, cut 1/2" off barrel and diagonal slots. In this pick the C more is just sitting on it. It is actually mounted further back. It is also blued now. Matt of CCC did the machine work.

That looks great! Do you have any special plans on mounting the C-more?

I've been thinking of doing something very similar only difference is I was thinking about using a 7" cut down to 5.5" to save even more weight. I was looking for someone local to do the machine work but haven't been able to find anyone yet. Do you have contact info for CCC? If you don't mind me asking what was the charge for the milling?