Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas Shrugged - The Movie

Been dying to get a ticket, but not within 200 miles of me yet. Been following the reviews, and it appears if you like the book, you will like/love the movie.

I will go as soon as it shows near me.

Randy

Checked Rotten Tomato-movie is mostly getting terrible reviews. Apparently was done on a "cheap" budget and shows it according to reviews. I haven't seen it yet but as a fan of the book will see it regardless of the reviews. For those who have read the book there aren't any spoilers-everyone knows how it ends. For those who haven't read the book nothing really happens in Part 1.

Edited by The_Vigilante

• 2 weeks later...

We saw it yesterday.

It's very good, faithful to the ideas in the book, excellent cinematography and CGI. with excellent dialogue and acting.

You will recognize many of the actors.

Considering the limited budget, it did not suffer.

Forget the reviews, go see it.

If you are an appreciator of Ayn Rands work, you will like it.

I think she would have, too.

Here's hoping the rest of the movie gets made.

Edited by g.willikers

I saw it, I cringed at the previews before the movie, I know Ms. Rand would not have approved. The movie itself was like reading the book, the first 1/3 was boring but necessary to set up the ending. I will go see the sequels, I want the smokes.

I saw it in a small theater located next to a well known private liberal arts college. The place was jammed on a Friday afternoon matinee.

Young people, middle aged people, old looking college professor looking types all in attendance.

I thought the movie was done pretty nicely, did not know about a slim movie budget.

Hope parts 2 and 3 are produced.

Seen it and thought it was well done following the book. The message was more important than the low budget it had to work with since it has taken nearly 40 years to get produced. Looking forward to the next installments.

We saw it yesterday.

It's very good, faithful to the ideas in the book, excellent cinematography and CGI. with excellent dialogue and acting.

You will recognize many of the actors.

Considering the limited budget, it did not suffer.

Forget the reviews, go see it.

If you are an appreciator of Ayn Rands work, you will like it.

I think she would have, too.

Here's hoping the rest of the movie gets made.

+1

I saw it the day after it opened. I thought it was great. Really captured the spirit of the book. I'll be major disappointed if parts 2 & 3 aren't made.

It's one of those books for which it would be a nightmare project to do a screen play. It seems lately though, there are writers that do fairly well. Beats having to go to the movie theater with a sleeping bag and a Coleman cooler full of sandwiches! They may block it from the theaters here in Boulder County. Antithetical to the ends of the County Commissars! Can't take the risk of anyone waking up!

Went to it last Saturday. I really liked it. If you liked the book, you will like the movie. My wife had not read the book and she loved the movie. I think to get even close to the level of details of the book, Part 1 would have had to be 3-4 hours alone. As a result, some parts are left out, and the audience either fills in with info either from the book or guessing.

I would recommend it to anyone. It is a timeless story about good vs evil brought to logical conclusions.

Randy

• 4 months later...

DVD is available for pre-order as of Sept 2. Not sure if they are going to continue the series. According to IMDB it had a budget of 15M and only made 5. Hopefully the DVD sales will add to that, and I would expect they would. That said, www.atlasshruggedpart2.com says Part 2 is going to be released in Fall 2012. We'll see. I'm still waiting on Supertroopers 2.

Too bad they couldn't figure out a way to do all 3 at once and release them as they did with lord of the rings. Like most others it wasnt released local to me.

The politics of Hollywood really sabotaged this movie and yet we have "Somebody that we don't need to talk about on the SHOOTING forum" considered a honest man. Go figure.

I saw it the day it came out. A *huge* fan of the book, I found the movie extremely disappointing. The liberty taken with Dagny (crying and falling to the ground when she saw Wyatt's land burning) bordered on disgraceful.

• 1 month later...

Watched DVD last night. The story is there, if you read the book. A little disappointed in the flat acting, things seemed disjointed and many scenes were lost without the book for background/reference. The wife gave up and went to bed. The last word she uttered was, BORING.

Of course I'll watch the next 2, if they ever get completed.

I have found that movie recreations of books I love are an utter fail. When i lived on the Island of St John USVI, I dragged all of my friends to watch The Prince of Tides as it is one of my favorite books. It was shockingly bad. The fact that we had to go to the neighboring Island of St. Thomas to watch it made it all the worse as we had to catch a ferry ride over, catch a cab to the movie theater, and of course we missed the ferry back and had to spend the night in St. Thomas. Although the rest of the night was and is still a blur, I cannot forget the utter disappointment in the movie when compared to the book.

Haven't seen the movie yet. The traiers were pretty interesting. A remember this book being discussed quite q bit in the early days of the BE.forum. It would be a very large undertaking to do the book justice in a movie, in my opinion.

Present-day Hollywood is no Galts Gulch.

It's interesting to see just how well Ms. Rand presaged current events.