Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

April

benos

For me shooting is everything...

...dominating the inert metal to have it behave like I command it to do... :)

...and nothing...

...discovering I'm no good master... :(

Shooting brings relaxation and peace...

...when I use my body and mind to absorb the recoil energy of my gun... B)

...along with a deep stress feeling...

...when I invariably discover I haven't carried on what I had planned to do... <_<

Shooting is fire and ice colliding...

...when under the competition pressure you're boiling up but can find that remote spot in your mind to free yourself from all expectations! ;)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Essence of Shooting,

which is "invisible" and beyond intellectual understanding.

This essence always expresses itself in a tangible form that can be apprehended by the senses.

Phenomena are changeable, but pervading all such phenomena is a constant reality known as "GM"

Interesting question and very difficult to form the answer in words but it would be something like:

Shooting is a lens which projects my inner state onto the objective world for me to see and polish

or more prosaically

Shooting is a really cool way of transforming money into bang and flash :P

Reading through these replies, the shooting community (as represented on the BE forums) is far closer to the ideal of the philosopher than to the bunch of "kill 'em all" gun-toters that some of the masses would expect B)

Kevin

Shooting is one of my hobbies that commands the most mental and physical focus, yet allows me to only think about shooting. It is an abject exercise in exceeding my self-imposed mental and physical limitations. The lightbulb lit for me this past weekend, and I shot the best stage I ever have in 2 years of shooting USPSA. Its time to revisit Brian's book, as I think I've "got it" now.

Personally, I love the combination of a gorgeous, tricked out, gun painstakingly tuned to the Nth degree and an ammo bag filled with meticulously assembled ammo.

The essence of shooting is when absolutely every detail matters.

I don't think shooting has an essence, really. Asking what the essence of shooting is is like asking what the essence of writing is. What is the crucial component of writing? Putting pen to paper? Shooting means different things to different people at different times. It can be no more than a pure emotionless utility harvesting dinner or as much as a vehicle for personal self-understanding or even therapy. In one moment it can serve to help you focus, or serve to distract you the next. Shooting can liberate or oppress. If anything can be said about shooting's essence, it has to be it's malleability. It can be everything, or nothing. War and peace and everything in between.

- Gabe

I hope this comes out right. I'm not a wordsmith and I find this difficult to describe.

For me, the essence has been the journey to find the way to balance and harness the things I love about the sport with results. I love the Adrenalin, excitement, speed, Adrenalin, pressure, competition, Adrenalin. Did I mention Adrenalin?

All the things I love interfere with what I love. Results.