Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

April

benos

I was sorting through my closet a while ago and came across a couple super-cool jerseys from the '99 World Shoot in the Philippines. As you may or may not know, after the match, it's customary for team members (from different countries) to trade their team shirts. I have one from Italy and one from New Zealand. The New Zealand shirt is super high quality - looks like a pro soccer jersey, and the Italian one is, well, very Italian. The Italia shirt is Large, and although the NZ shirt's tag says medium, it looks more like XL to me.

I was thinking it would be fun to give them away... so here's the idea:

In one paragraph or less, summarize the essence of shooting. That's really about all I want to say.

I'll pick three winners, send the two shirts to two and one of my new T's to the other. Then I thought it might be fun/beneficial to start a thread on the board with the three winning posts.

So have at it all!

;)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The essence of shooting, for me, is freedom. Freedom from conscious thought. Freedom from excess movement. Freedom from distraction - physical, visual, and mental. Freedom of choice, pick your division or how you solve a stage. Freedom from the boss. Freedom from traffic. Freedom from taxes (match fees are a "necessary evil" :D ) And freedom from thugs, burglars, and opressive governments. And it's fun too.

The essence of shooting for me is a reflection of our lives. Endlessly striving for perfection that can never occur, stretching our imaginations, breaking boundries, and the endless journey of self evalutaion and discovery. Disiplining ourselves so that when our characters are tested we can rise above the moment and react and respond in a way to make us great.

Ramming your head against a brick wall...time-after-time...until you break thru the wall...only to find that you could have simply walked around the wall (or hopped over it...or, you didn't need to get to the other side of that wall after all).

Essence of shooting......

Essence,,,,,hmmm,,,,,Essence,,,,what is "essence",,,,it is what makes up something.

Easy, the shooters. For me it is all about the people. In the end no matter how much I enjoy shooting, it boils down to the people. Regardless of how I perform, or even what I learn, if it weren't for the people I wouldn't come back, week after week,,,,after week.

Without people, it isn't as fun. Without people the matches don't run, the shooters don't learn, well,,,,you get the picture, the sport doesn't exist..

So, since the essence is what make up something......people!

H4444

A true knowledge of self allows the emotions to remain isolated from the action, instead of competing with it for our attention. In this regard, self-confidence means only that we are confident in the current knowledge we have of our selves. This knowledge is ever changing. Each new problem of each new day leads to another level of understanding of what it means to be our selves. The true essence of shooting is continual self-discovery. And the self is ever changing. The greatest detour to avoid is the ever-present lust to reach a conclusion.

shooting :

Opposing forces

Stillness & motion

Isolation & Cameradery

Thought & not thinking at all

Living in the present & planning for the future

Complicated questions & simple answers

Obsessing about the details & not caring about the result

WANTING in the strong hand & keeping the weakhand empty :D

Travis F.

I know I ain't no wordsmith, but hey, just my .o2

Shooting, while fundamentally mechanical, is an inner peace at which one reaches his or her true focus in life when taken with a big glass of calm. Shooting is the calm within the chaos that can only be reached when all senses are given a clear path unhindered by thought and reason. Shooting is. :blink:

Shooting is trying to obtain and experiencing perfection.

Shooting is fun.

Shooting is friends.

Shooting is an outlet.

Shooting is challenging.

Shooting is part of my person.

Shooting is expensive.

For me shooting is finding sanctuary in chaos.

A bunch of mini explosions seeking a truth.

I hear a subtle song when I let it play.

Sometimes it feels like the entrie range has transcended, there is no time or place :wub:

Shooting is something that you have to really want to do. You can't inherit it from your dad or rich uncle. It really doesn't matter if you are pretty or ugly, or where you went to school. The guy that can beat Leatham always gets there through working to be there.

For me its the stress...

I stress over the sight picture, the impending recoil, the concern for the shot that will either hit or miss, all the worries in my life that have built up to thinking I may fail, the trigger pull, breathing, and then.....

THE RELEASE....a huge BANG!!!

and as I relax again I realize with each pull of the trigger that the essence of my performance is based on emptying my mind, relaxing, and letting go of ALL my fears in life...

Shooting is one of the few ties I have to a father I lost when I was 13. His love of the sport has kept him in my mind, and passing on his lessons to my children have kept him "real" in their hearts.