Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which guns?

Pete Rindal

CDP - A 1911 in .45ACP w/ some nice tuning

ESP - a 1911 in 38 super - tuned up as well

SSR - I'd use a S&W 625 (45 ACP)

And SSP - Sig Sauer P226. Unless the new SA XD is legal - their pretty reliable guns as well.

That's what I'd use.

JB

(Edited by j1b at 8:35 pm on Feb. 11, 2002)

Fast word of warning: As of October 2002, Revolver barrel length will be restricted to four inches.  Choose carefully --- and if the only purpose is IDPA stay away from five inch 625s.  For CDP I agree with Jack.  For ESP I'd pick a 1911 in 9 mm --- power factor is only 125 and ammo is cheaper.  For SSP I'd recommend some time of 9 mm Glock, preferably the 34 or 17.

There are lots choices in all the classes, but some are better than others.

I use a 1911 in .45 for CDP, as does nearly anyone in this class as it is obviously the best choice. Chances are nothing will EVER be better. All other choices are second best but that does not mean you can't shoot them well. I know acouple guys shooting Glock .45's in CDP, but the 1911 is just so damn easy to shoot well. If you want a .45, and that is all you are allowed in CDP, the 1911's are king. What load to shoot is the big deal, not which gun type to shoot it out of.

For ESP you are faced with the choice of caliber more than gun type. You can shoot many different guns in this class but it is dominated by 1911's in .40, .38 Super or 9x19. I generally use 9x19 as it is the cheapest to feed, generally very accurate even with factory stock barrels and availability of ammo is never an issue. You can sometimes buy loaded 9 ammo so cheap that the only reason to load isto get a better load than the factories offer. I have been using the PMC 115 JHP load and find it extremely accurate, light in recoil and quiet. It is also inexpensive. Otherwise the .38 super is just as good. Its just the ammo thing favoring the 9.

For ssp you can shoot just about anything and becompetitive as the real advantage of the esp and cdp guns are the short light trigger pulls of the 1911 design. I will be using the new XD myself and am becoming more and more impressed with it the more I shoot it, but you would expect the corporate answer wouldn't you? Well the XD is that good, and time will show just how good it is, but my favorite pre XD has been the S&W 5906. You get the best trigger of any of the DA guns. Great Trigger cocking and great single action. Just have to become accustomed to the change. If you can afford one from the Performance center you will not be dissapointed.

In the revolver class I use a Model 19 or 586 with Safariland speed loaders. Seems like everyone has forgotten about those, but truth is they can be loaded as fast as full moon clips, and you can shoot much lighter loads out of a .38 Special than you ever will in a .45. The guns are much smaller and better handling, are easier to shoot well, and kick less.  

Hey Rob, will you be shooting an XD in SSP at the Az IDPA state championships or a 1911 .45, or horror of horrors, that sweet 9mm 1911?  

Having placed 2d in that match, I'd like to know before I sign up :-)  I think you ought to be showing off that new XD myself!

(Edited by kellyn at 7:27 pm on Feb. 14, 2002)

Quote: from TGO on 9:20 pm on Feb. 14, 2002

Well the XD is that good, and time will show just how good it is, but my favorite pre XD has been the S&W 5906. You get the best trigger of any of the DA guns. Great Trigger cocking and great single action. Just have to become accustomed to the change. If you can afford one from the Performance center you will not be dissapointed.

I got one and love it.  A tack driver that has never jammed.  If Smith made production guns like this they still own the LE market.  I only wish I had it in a five inch slide.

• 3 weeks later...

i think the current best setup for SSP is the beretta elite 2, in my area its THE gun, rob haught of team beretta, 2 other master shooters, and then me shoot a beretta not to mention a few others ( i am currently SSP) haven't lost expert class in so long i am dieing to have another classifier!

i shoot a worked up colt 38 super in ESP, wish it was a 9mm,

Kimber classic custom with wilson slip onmag well in CDP

S&W 610 4" converted to DAO, lots of other workdone on it, for SSR.

think the 45 has a tad bit of speed advantage in reloading for the revolvers.

CDP - 1911 in .45 ACP

ESP - 1911 in 9mm or Glock 17 or 34 9mm with Heinie sights, plastic or aluminum magwell, and steel guiderod (It can be tough to get a G34 to fit in the box with a magwell, but I've seen it done.)

SSR - 4" barrel S&W 625 in .45 ACP with full moon clips

SSP - Glock 17 or 34 9mm with Heinie sights, no magwell, and stock guide rod

At least 5 magazines for autos and 10 moon clips for revolver.

Don't forget a good belt and quality holster/ammo carriers.  I like the Wilderness Equipment 1 1/2" 5-stitch Instructors belt and Blade-Tech or Comp-Tac holsters/carriers.

CDP- wide body 1911 in 45acp

ESP- Any single action wide body in 9mm (S&W Performance center, Para, S_I or EAA witness)

SSP- Hi-cap 9mm DA (Glock34, Beretta elite or Para LDA)

SSR- Any full moon clip fed revolvers (S&W 625 or 610 loaded with 40S&W's)

If you noticed all of these guns are very quick to reload.

If you look at who's been winning most matches its usually the person with one of these types of guns and I believe its not only that they can shoot well its that their reloads are faster than everyone elses. Its this time saving that appears to be giving them the edge.

The 9mm is the caliber of choice because it recoils allmost as light as some of the compensated guns shooting major power factor. DA pistols really aren't at a disadvantage compared to the SA's because most targets that your first shot breaks on are at very close range, then the gun next shots are SA except for the Glock which has a very light trigger pull to begin with.

I'm still trying to figure out if light weight frames (plastic, aluminum etc..) vs the heavier guns allows you to draw and move from target to target quicker?

Now that S&W Performance center is selling an 8 shot 627 in 38 super I'm hoping they will be making a 6 shot one with a 4" barrel soon. That should be the hot ticket in SSR.

i think a para LDA single stack would be nice, but slower on the reload, would need a beveled mag well factory standard.... even though it is technically NOT a true DA gun. i think it would kick butt in that division.

those para mags are a killer to do a tac load with, high fumble factor in my hands.

• 4 weeks later...