Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shield Thumb Safeties

G34 CORDY

Iam just about to recieve my first 2011 Limited gun a STI Edge in .40 and have a question about safeties. Does anyone like or use the shield thumb safety or are you guys just using the regular type? I would think the shielded type would be better so your thumb dont hit the slide during recoil but I could be wrong. Thanks

I think there are a fair amount of people running the swenson safeties but they seem to be in short supply. Supposedly their patent was supposed to habve run out a couple years ago but to my knowledge, nobody makes a similar safety other then swenson which run about $100 and like I said before they seem to be in short supply.

I can't shoot a 1911/2011 without shields on the safeties. I tried Swensons but ended up breaking 2 sets. Now I have my gunsmith custom make shields and put them on my safeties. He has put them on my SS Trojan, all my limited guns and even made some for my Caspian high cap .40. Let me know if you are interested and I will post some pictures. His web site is jimjoycecustom.com

Hello: They work pretty well on a open pistol with a racker. On a limited pistol I think they get in the way when you try to rack the slide from the back. If you rack the slide from the front you will be fine. I don't have a problem with my thumb hitting the slide so I prefer not to use them. I have actually gone back to single sided thumb safeties since they don't break or work lose over time :cheers: Not sure if this helps or not :unsure: Thanks, Eric

way back in the day I used a Pachmayr Thumb Shield. It replaced the plunger housing between the Safety and slide release. Super easy install, and wasnt too ugly to look at either. Pachmayr has discontinued production but they can still be found. have to just look hard for them.

I use a high thumb ride but my thumb always sat on the safety. Only until recently have I ever had an extended safety and only because the 1911 I just bought came with it already on it. I always thought the standard safety was big enough. I did not, adn still do not, like ambi extended safeties. I didnt want anything bigger to either catch on some clothing and be swiped off or my thumb get too greedy during the draw and swipe it off. However, I am getting really used to it now and find that the extended safety is nice...although a coupe of times i found that I had taken the safety off and my thumb was riding it before I knew that I had performed the swipe.

If you grip the pistol right, you mroe than likely won't rub your thumb, but I guess that's a matter of grip and also hand size. If you have meaty hands and fingers, you might tend to hit the slide. Not sure though.

GONZO!!!

Edited by Singlestack
To remove advertisement

• 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I sent them an email a while back asking the same thing. I thought their captured pin system ambi safety with a integral thumb shield would be a huge hit. They said they had no plans to produce such a part. Too bad because the captured pin system would be a big plus. I am surprised someone else has not produced such a part. Maybe someday.