Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is your real mag life?

KeithY

What sort of life span (in cycles per mag) are you getting? I know it varies depending upon drop damage, force used upon insertion, etc. But considering all those factors, how many cycles do you actally get on average before re-tuning or replacing your magazines? The only response I've gotten is "years," but those same individuals experience good spells and bad with their mags. So there seems to be some "sweet spot" for mag longevity??? I used the search function but could not find an answer.

Thank you!

I've never replaced any of my magazines. I replace springs every few years or when I think about it. I don't think it is possible to wear one out, even if you are dropping it in the dirt quite often.

From testing AR15 magazines until destruction, I'm pretty confident that under normal use and care, SVI/STI magazine bodies will last for many decades.

I replace springs after a year or two.

Edited by DyNo!

I have some Wilsons that are 9 years old and still function well. I replace all the springs and followers every Spring.

I believe in 12 years of competitive shooting I have had to "pitch" one single stack mag.

I dropped it nose down on a concrete floor then stepped on it.

I guess that is cruel and un-usual treatment :rolleyes:

My #1 mag has been loaded and started with at every match and practice session I've shot for the last 3 years. I figure the guns have about 40k rounds through them... so that mag MUST have better than 3/4 of that round count based on how I practice. Never changed a thing, never had a failure of any sort.

SV tube, bolen spring and follower. I finally replaced the spring and follower this year because I felt guilty. It made absolutely no difference in capacity or feeding to go to a new spring.

In 15 years of gun ownership I have decommissioned exactly 3 magazines. A 10rd CZ 75 mag which was limited via some cuts in the mag and those thin areas cracked, a 15rd CZ mag that was my number one mag for about 5years and which I've stepped on enough to bend its feed lips, An AR mag with a cracked feeding lip, though it was used when I got it.

Every other mag (including my Chip single 8 and 10 rounders) keep working with the occasional spring replacement, and that only happens when they start running funny.

Hello: I have some Wilson 47D's that have 1000's of rounds through them and they still work with the original springs and followers. I do clean the mags after each use so I think that may help. I have a mag that was stepped on and has a gouge in it but it still works fine. If you take care of the mags they will take care of you :cheers: Thanks, Eric

I have some Wilsons that are 9 years old and still function well. I replace all the springs and followers every Spring.

I believe in 12 years of competitive shooting I have had to "pitch" one single stack mag.

I dropped it nose down on a concrete floor then stepped on it.

I guess that is cruel and un-usual treatment :rolleyes:

Yup, won't hurt it. As part of testing a steel AR magazine, I spiked it as hard as I could - fully loaded, feedlips down, onto a concrete surface, ran over it with a car, shot it (shot it WITH a gun not IN a gun), and it still worked.

If a thin AR15 magazine is that robust, a thick SVI magazine will last as long as it hasn't corroded out of spec.

Edited by DyNo!

I use five 10 round Tripp Cobra mags (approx. 40k rounds) & ten 9 round Shooting Star Mags approx. 50K rounds. In seven years and 90K+ rounds I have not had a problem with any of my mags and have yet to change any springs or followers. Have changed a few base pads due to dropping abuse. I do rotate the mags for every shoot so that the mags basically get the same approximate use. I do clean my mags often.