Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Minor open gun, failed to extract, twice

CiDirkona

The other day at my local steel match, I had two incidents where my 9mm open glock (131pf loads) failed to extract the spent case. The slide would go all the way back and cause a double feed, but the previous case was only half way out of the chamber.

It was a fairly off day, so there is a chance I limp wristed it both times (still working on a major load, almost there) -- but is there something else I should be looking for?

On a semi-related note, is there ejector or extractor tuning I should be doing on a gun like this?

Thanks in advance!

Limp wristing shouldn't cause the extractor to release the case that early....it might get stuck, but should never leave it any distance in the chamber.

I would check the sharp edge/shoulder on your extractor and make sure that little right-angle isn't filled in with goop and see if that helps. Sometimes, it's not fully locking into place on the extractor groove on the case because it's so gummed up.

Another possibility is that half (or more) of the extractor has sheared off. (the part that locks into the extractor groove on the case). This happened to my dad and we didn't realize what happened until we took a closer look. Sure enough, the lip on the extractor was barely there. It either wasn't extracting at all or extracting it part way just as you describe.

Let us know what it ends up being!

Thanks! I'll pull the extractor out and look at it.

I also had to replace my extractor plunger spring a while back after mine decided to up and GTFO when taking the slide plate off, so hopefully it isn't getting weak or anything, but i'll check that too.

I also had to replace my extractor plunger spring a while back after mine decided to up and GTFO when taking the slide plate off, so hopefully it isn't getting weak or anything, but i'll check that too.

I would double check that you put the plunger & spring assy back in correctly. The metal plunger should touch the extractor, not the plastic spring loaded bearing.

+1 on checking your extractor.

They can and will chip if you drop the slide in a chambered round. They are made out of MIM (metal injection molding) very brittle and weak.

Been there, done that.

:cheers:

Edited by cdrissel

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

It looked like I hadn't cleaned the extractor EVER. There was a very healthy layer of cooked on boolit lube and carbon build up thoroughly coating it -- enough that it had to be scraped clean with a toothpick. I also swapped out the 9mm bearing for the 40sw bearing for a slightly tighter grip.

Additionally, I had the wrong spring in the gun. Shooting minor loads with a major spring in... Oops.