Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle Brake on a .22lr Rifle?

jkrispies

I'm doing research to "build" a Ruger 10/22. I'm seeing all kinds of barrels with cool looking muzzle brakes... but does it do anything more than look cool??? A brake reduces muzzle jump by using gas pressure to manhandle the barrel via directional ports, but how much pressure does a a .22lr have to offer? Ultimately I'm hoping to teach my daughter how to shoot with this gun, so I'm figuring the increased perceived noise caused by adding a brake will negate any benefits to decreased muzzle flip and/or recoil from that tiny bullet.

Anyway, the real question: does a .22lr generate enough gas to gain benefit from a brake? Anybody studied it?

I have one of these on my 10/22: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13875/Product/RUGER_reg__10_22_reg__STABILIZATION_MODULE

It adds a bit to the wow factor, and is SOMEWHAT more accurate, but my gun was already shooting 1 ragged hole at 25 yards without it. It definitely makes it easier to put them all in a fingernail, but with enough attention (and skill) it can be done without.

One downside is on my scope (1x-4x) I can just barely see the top of the break when i'm at 1x-1.5x power.

As far as noise, it's not that much louder. .22's aren't that loud to begin with IMO, and with a good set of hearing protection are nothing more than a sharp pop.

As far as decreased muzzle flip, I can understand in competition guns, but unless she's shooting rapid fire, there won't be much of a muzzle flip if she's shooting supported, and the followup shot takes longer to realign the scope/irons than to control the recoil.

My first gun was a .22, as I'm sure was many other people's, and I didn't think the recoil was that bad. How old is she? Has she shot BB gun/air soft to get the feel of or mechanics of shooting?

You could try it without and see if she can handle it without. The good thing about that muzzle brake is it comes off easily, and if not used on a gun, makes for one unique (albeit expensive) keychain! :devil:

good luck!

LOL-- well, maybe it'll be as much for daddy as daughter! She's only three, but the way I do these builds, I'll spend six months researching, and then sneak in one part every other month so the wife doesn't really know how much money I'll have invested in the thing by the time it's done! When it's finally built, sighted in, and tuned to my satisfaction, she'll be old enough for me to teach her the fundamentals and then grow into rocking it however she pleases, if at all. My approach to this one is a little different than usual because I normally don't put any care into looks, but I know she'll want it to be pretty and a little girly, so I'm already rocking a pink stock.

Back to the subject of the brake, I'm not worried about her fast firing it... but daddy would sure like to run it through a Steel Challenge course as fast as I can!!! Still, I haven't found anything to convince me to invest in one just yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of what looks like a brake on a .22 is actually a tuner. They can be adjusted fore and aft to "tune" the barrel vibrations to seek smallest group under different conditions and for different loads. I don't mess with them, but know a few people who do. They are capable of amazing things, but also require a working knowledge of other dark arts............. them people is different :bow:

Hello: I am not sure how much the brake helps on a Ruger 10/22. I can tell you for steel matches make everything light as possible. We use a Tactical solutions barrels(no comp) and C-Mores. We also have stocks that fit each of us. The kids stock is a cut down factory one that fits them. A good trigger also helps alot. I am testing a 22 pistol right now. One barrel setup has a comp and the other does not. They seem almost the same for muzzle flip. I need more testing time on those. Thanks, Eric

The comp I used to have on my .22 doesn't do much but act as a muzzle weight. I could tell more of a difference if I used CCI stingers, though. On a rifle, there should be less pressure to work it.

They'll fill with lead and carbon, which is nearly impossible to get out. I'd skip the brake.

Also, you may as well just admit you want the gun for yourself and get her a pink cricket.

The comp I used to have on my .22 doesn't do much but act as a muzzle weight. I could tell more of a difference if I used CCI stingers, though. On a rifle, there should be less pressure to work it.

They'll fill with lead and carbon, which is nearly impossible to get out. I'd skip the brake.

Also, you may as well just admit you want the gun for yourself and get her a pink cricket.

Muzzle brakes are usually only recomended for jacketed bullets. They will actually shear off the back of a lead bullet, not as bad with plated but still noticable. That being said and being a machinist, I make custom brakes for all my rifles and pistols. Cannot beat the WOW factor. As long as they are cleaned after each match I have not had any issues on my .22lr's.

I have a volquartzen carbon barrel with a removable muzzle brake. Since my 10/22 is only 4lbs, the brake makes a huge difference. Night and day difference!

Shoots good too!

Stringcheese, shall I assume that you've tried it with both the brake on, as well as off, and you notice a difference in flip? It seems like that would be a pretty definitive "side-by-side" test. I ask because I do intend to install a lightweight barrel.

I have a volquartzen carbon barrel with a removable muzzle brake. Since my 10/22 is only 4lbs, the brake makes a huge difference. Night and day difference!

Shoots good too!

Stringcheese, shall I assume that you've tried it with both the brake on, as well as off, and you notice a difference in flip? It seems like that would be a pretty definitive "side-by-side" test. I ask because I do intend to install a lightweight barrel.

I have absolutely done a side by side comparison. There is a VERY noticable difference.

I'll chime in. I got a Sig 522 to teach my son to shoot, and for me to shoot local "Tac Rifle" matches. There's a .22 division for guys like me that don't want to spend the cash on a real rifle with center fire ammo.

I put the $35 Nordic comp on it and the dot doesn't move. Normally with a .22, there's a little bit of muzzle rise with each shot. Not anymore.

SigNordic.jpg

Edited by splashdown

A few things to consider: First, the added weight of the comp may disrupt the barrel harmonics. Second, the added weight on the muzzle may be what is reducing muzzle rise or "flip".

I have a Savage .22 with a medium barrel and it was shooting all over the place and was slightly jumpy. I made a barrel weight (think comp minus the porting) and brought the harmonics in tune. The secondary bonus was a minor decrease in muzzle rise. If you are buying a premade harmonic balancer I suggest that you get an adjustable unit. I made 4-5 different weights before I found the right one for my rifle.

Splashdown, cool looking comp!!! Is that the standard AR-15 comp or one made for .22lr?

I found a thread here on BE Forums where a guy said he was testing it a few years ago. Originally designed for .22LR but seemed to work well for .223.

Mine is the Black Oxide, but since it's not as black as the barrel, I wish I would've just ordered the stainless.

There's 2 chambers. The first with three holes on top. The second has the large hole side to side with a single hole on top.

I ordered it from Cactus Tactical.

http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/ar15-c-412_478.html

I can see a comp making a difference on a really light gun, I could tell a difference when I used stingers too. Stingers made pistol shoot noticeably flatter with the comp, and vise versa without it. They do work.

I just don't think being obligated to clean the thing is worth the gain on the average .22. I shoot bricks of ammo through my SC pistol without cleaning it, almost as much through my rifles.

Also, most of the new shooters I've brought to the range were much more scared of the noise and percussion than the recoil.

Comps do look super cool though! Splashdown's just looks right!