Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production class legal pistol modifications?

Ok, I understand you can basically do anything to the pistol internally, you can decorate your pistol any way you want as long as it does not give a competitive advantage, you can change your grips as long as they are the same dimentionally, and you can griptape in specified areas. Am I missing anything?

It isn't really ANYTHING internally, you can't change the geometry of certain parts (like moving the pivot points of a glock trigger) or removing any safeties, etc

7 or 8 pages out of the rule book condensed into one sentence. Do you work for "Clifnotes"?

lol

And I haven't even shot a match yet!

My intro class/shoot is the 22nd. It's good to know the rules, so I read the whole rule book once or twice. It proved to be a tough read, flipping back and forth between the appendicies and the written word. So, I just wanted to be sure I had my p's and q's right before I started messing up my new pistol. I guess I had it nailed!

Thanks!

String,

Welcome to the sport! It definitely is addictive..

My advice/ experience after introducing the sport to a lot of friends.

1. Take the class...

2. Don't mod anything yet.. That's the beauty and simplicity of Production division, shoot it stock.

3. Shoot 10 matches...

4. After skills and experience build, then you will get a feel of the gun and if necessary, consider mods that will fall within the aforementioned rulebook based on production division.

If you really have the itch for modifying your pistol (after some time in the sport) Look into Limited and Open divisions.

Otherwise, IMHO spend the "mod $$$" towards ammunition, practice time and match fees.

Not that I'm telling you what to do, :blush: You will make your better decisions after some experience.

Many of my friends started like this, even after asking guidance from me:

1 Shoot G17 Production

2 then mod the G17 for better trigger

3. Really mod the G17 for Open

4. Hated the reliability of Open G17

5. Learned more about the sport

6. Bought SP01 for production

7. Bought Custom built 2011 for Open

8. Put G17 in safe

9. Sell G17

LOL

I've been shooting since the 90's. My only modification is me (shooter). Ok, I changed sights and hammer spring on my 92FS production pistol. :P On the extreme end, I also shoot Open for that "Mod factor"

Hope it helps, I just hate to see the vicious cycle....

I pick up a couple CZ85 Combats in the morning. One for me one for my 61yo Father. CZcustoms already did the trigger. I have enough brass, powder, and bullets for at least this summer. Waiting for one rcbs shell plate. I just want to try my hand at airbrushing a pistol and perhaps switch to the CZ75 (thinner) rubber grips. Only time will tell;) I was just trying to figure out if I can do anything else besides paint?

Well, at least you have read the book! You are miles ahead already. Just prepare to defend any mods you may do, it there is any question. I would take it slowly too.

That is great that you are doing this with your dad! :cheers:

WG

Well, at least you have read the book! You are miles ahead already. Just prepare to defend any mods you may do, it there is any question. I would take it slowly too.

That is great that you are doing this with your dad! :cheers:

WG

thanks!

Nothing beats that relationship! I started as a 17 yr old with my dad, best time ever.

This may become your lifelong passion

Pop started me early. I remember shooting his 38 when I was about 6 and his 44 when 10. Lots of rifle stuff starting around 5yo. We started a biz together a couple years ago and he is making time restriction excuses against USPSA already. But then he wants to take 2 weeks for Spring Turkey? He's not even excited, or he is hiding it well. Anyway, picking up pistols from FFL at 10am! i just got off the phone with him and I should've just shot myself in the foot.

If you hadn't bought the CZs, my advice would have been this:

Toss some Sevigny sights, a 13lb spring, and a 3.5lb connector into the G17. Slap some grip tape on it.

Spend your $300-500 worth of "mod money" on a Dillon 550 or 650. And leave the gun virtually stock for at least six months.