Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do Dillons have so many problems?

Ample evidence that the problem is being caused by the operator, multiple instances of advice to call for first hand real time customer service to correct the issue, direct manufacturer support of the product and personal offers of help, continued refusal to follow good advice = poor quality inanimate object :wacko:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just call and get the advice? Why sell a great press for a loss when Dillon can help you get it up and running with you over the phone OR if you do not get good help over the phone they will ship it back to the factory and fix it for you. It's a lot harder to ask for that service if you don't have a history of calling with problems on the machine. After months and months of issues with my Hornady LnL I finally had enough and they gave me all my money back despite having bought it from a distributor not from the factory. Companies like DILLON and Hornady want Happy Customers. They don't want you to have bad feelings about their products. Give them a chance. It might take several calls to figure things out but in the end I am sure they will make it right.

Why not just call and get the advice? Why sell a great press for a loss when Dillon can help you get it up and running with you over the phone OR if you do not get good help over the phone they will ship it back to the factory and fix it for you. It's a lot harder to ask for that service if you don't have a history of calling with problems on the machine. After months and months of issues with my Hornady LnL I finally had enough and they gave me all my money back despite having bought it from a distributor not from the factory. Companies like DILLON and Hornady want Happy Customers. They don't want you to have bad feelings about their products. Give them a chance. It might take several calls to figure things out but in the end I am sure they will make it right.

I have called them on every issue so far. And probably will on this one also, but its annoying when people on here blamed the wolf primers as the culprit because they are "crap". I switch to Fed 210m's and its the same issue with them getting jammed crushed in the primer tray.

I find that every problem I have ever had with a reloading press, Dillon or otherwise, always came back to the hull or brass.

New brass or true once fired hulls always work great. Nasty scrounged range brass or hulls of questionable source usually cause strange or unexplained issues that just don't happen with new.

poison,

I can tell you that I have more problems with Wolf primers that all others combined. And once I've used all I have, there will be no more Wolf for me, I don't care if they ARE half the price. They fire just fine but they don't feed through the press worth a crap. Had the same problem with my Hornady LNL AP. Also if you read dillon's post, he said they have seen issues with 210's also, just not as often as Wolf. I sold my Hornady and bought a 650. I couldn't be happier. Change that cam block, the primer arm and get some Winchester or CCI primers and your issue will vanish.

I loaded over 10K wolf spp & srp on my Dillon 1050 without issue.

Feds gave me fits on one machine but not the other.

Winchesters always work. Always.

Before giving up, try new brass or at least brass that was new when it was fired through your gun the first time.

And get a box of Winchester primers.

I loaded over 10K wolf spp & srp on my Dillon 1050 without issue.

Feds gave me fits on one machine but not the other.

Winchesters always work. Always.

Before giving up, try new brass or at least brass that was new when it was fired through your gun the first time.

And get a box of Winchester primers.

I'm going to try polishing the disk and area the disk it sits on tonight. And probably debur the holes on the primer disk always.

Its done it on lapua, winchester, and rem brass.

I have called them on every issue so far. And probably will on this one also, but its annoying when people on here blamed the wolf primers as the culprit because they are "crap". I switch to Fed 210m's and its the same issue with them getting jammed crushed in the primer tray.

I read the entire thread and you really don't seem to have done much to try and fix the problem. Never said you called Dillon for advice (just parts). In fact stated you wanted to get help on the forum rather through Dillon. So your going to get different reaction from people when that's what it "seems" you have done (very little). Not saying you haven't tried anything. It just seems that way from reading the thread. I still don't really understand what your problems are and what you have tried to do to fix them. If you could better explain that you might get some better advice. If it's been that bad you should ask Dillon to send you a shipping label and get them to look at it. Asking nicely gets things done in my experience. If you hit a "no" work your way up the chain of command and keep asking nicely explaining everything you have done to fix it to no avail. Consider PM'ing Mogolan and see if he will help you out. Honestly, right now you just seem like a complainer not willing to take advice. Not saying that is what you are but when you read the thread you don't seem receptive to help and don't explain things well enough to even get good advice. Good luck. It's a great press, you just are running into a lemon or a setup problem of some sort.

Edited by 98sr20ve

Poison123,

E-mail or message me your address, then box up the machine, and I will have FedEx pick it up and bring it to us. We'll go through it and get everything back to proper function, then ship it back. Please detach and keep the handle, locator buttons, case feed post and clear plastic feed tube, spent primer cup and low primer alarm. For shipping purposes please detach the powder measure, but do include it.

While you may prefer to read about solutions online, our experience is that phoning us while you're in front of the machine and being our eyes is the best way to easily resolve most issues with a machine. YMMV. :ph34r:

I just saw this. You should take him up on this offer.

I would send it to Dillon, and let them tune it up. Dillon makes great gear. I have had much more trouble from a Hornady LnL than I have had out of Dillon. I finally got the Hornady fixed, but it took awhile, many phone calls to Hornady, many posts and suggestions on this and other forums. If you get frustrated, you lose your patients and it makes it worse. Complicated problems call for more patients. Sometimes, you just gotta let go, and let someone else look at it. Good Luck.

I'll try to offer some constructive advice here. It's possible these problems could be corrected by Dillon or others on here if they actually had the press in their hands and could duplicate the issues you are having. As a 2nd choice is it possible for you to make /post a video of the press in operation so those that know better than I can review and offer some constructive advice on how to correct the problems. Obviuosly this could mean there are press issues or operator / set up issues that could be corrected by others who may have had the similar problems.

Obviuosly this could mean there are press issues or operator / set up issues that could be corrected by others who may have had the similar problems.

That is exactly right. I never rule out operator error when I am troubleshooting my machines, even if I tried everything I could think of to eliminate possible operator error. Sometimes it's a combination of both operator and mechanical error. I've never been able to solve any problems when I am angry. I used to just walk away for a while. I now realize that I wasn't really angry at the machine. I was angry with myself for not being able to figure out the problem. This made it even harder to troubleshoot. I don't get angry anymore, because I finally learned that it doesn't help matters to get angry. If I can't figure it out with the help from Tech Support, this forum, friends, and other forums, I will make arraingements to send it back to the manufacturer to be repaired or replaced. Even if I have to pay for the shipping and service. You don't even have to pay for anything with the No B.S. Warranty. I read in this thread that Dillon will pay for the shipping charges as well. I would jump on that. Good luck.

Edited by roadapple

Little bit of a vent post.

I've had it with this 650, I've got so many damn problems with this pos.

1.) Primer pick up tubes are always getting jammed

2.) Indexing rings break.

3.) Primer punch seems to constantly need attention to get seated correctly.

4.) Primers jamming in feed tube.

5.) Primers being jammed in side ways.

6.) Cases not aways feeding

etc

It seems every time I correct a problem something else comes up. I'm to the point where buying two more rcbs chargemasters and ditching the dillon seems like the way to go.

UGH

Sounds like operator error. With my 550 I had some issues when I first got it only to find out I did not have certain things set up properly. Call a Dillon rep and let them help you trouble shoot it.

Pat