Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do Dillons have so many problems?

Are you locking the shell plate bolt into position with the set screw in the side of the ram shaft? I have seen a lot of people break the plastic shell plate cam ramp because they don't lock the shell plate bolt into place with the set screw and it tightens down as the shell plate rotates.

Find a local shooter that owns a 650 and have them setup your press for you.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only people local is the shop I bought it from....and ya...I wouldn't want those retards on my property.

Everyone else runs Hornady at this point.

You know, some of your comments show quite a bit of disrespect for everyone who disagrees with you, you might wish to look at why you are so angry at people when a machine doesn't work.

Also .. who is everyone else? I'm only asking because I suspect 90% of the people on this board use a Dillon and they sure load a lot of rounds.

Everyone else I know local to me.

So ya I'm angry. One gets tired of constant problems....the machine runs smooth for awhile, and then its right back to having problems where nothing was changed.

The answer of calling dillon for support is nice and all. But I'd rather see the information posted on the web where if someone has the same problem down the road they can hopefully Google it, instead of having to call a support line.

you could always call the reps.. have them trouble shoot the press real time while your in front of it..

and then come back and share your finding and solutions (we aren't going anywhere :D) for people to find in the future if the same problem arises.

i take no offense in your frustration, while i have never felt this way about my 650 i have felt like this about other products. give the reps a call, if that doesn't work sell the press and get the Hornady... i agree that a important selling point on a press is the number of trusted shooters in your area that have experience with that same press and can come over to your hose to help you if needed. in my area every one has the 650, so that definitely influenced my decision.

Anyway if you didn't buy directly from Dillon or from B&E's there's a chance that your local shop might have configured you press for the initial caliber you purchased it for.. so they could have failed to replaced all the proper parts (for example living the large primer punch vs switching it for a small primer punch) or not switching the entire primer assembly from large primer to small primers (or having the wrong primer tube).

this would explain why your press is so problematic vs one that comes pre-configured for your initial caliber straight from Dillon.

Anyway I'm sorry your having this issues.. if you were here in so cal i would have already ditch work to go take a look at your press :(

believe me the problems you are having are not common to the 650 which is why i think most people here are encouraging you to contact the manufacturer.

either way i hope you get your issues resolved by either dillon, or by Hornady. keep us posted.

cheers,

Los.

Poison123,

E-mail or message me your address, then box up the machine, and I will have FedEx pick it up and bring it to us. We'll go through it and get everything back to proper function, then ship it back. Please detach and keep the handle, locator buttons, case feed post and clear plastic feed tube, spent primer cup and low primer alarm. For shipping purposes please detach the powder measure, but do include it.

While you may prefer to read about solutions online, our experience is that phoning us while you're in front of the machine and being our eyes is the best way to easily resolve most issues with a machine. YMMV. :ph34r:

Are you locking the shell plate bolt into position with the set screw in the side of the ram shaft? I have seen a lot of people break the plastic shell plate cam ramp because they don't lock the shell plate bolt into place with the set screw and it tightens down as the shell plate rotates.

Find a local shooter that owns a 650 and have them setup your press for you.

Yup...thats probably how I broke the first indexer.....learned my lesson on that one.

BTW, looking at the primer cam I suspect the disc was locked up by an out of round primer, and the handle forced. Do you recall it requiring significant additional pressure to pull the handle down?

Poison123,

E-mail or message me your address, then box up the machine, and I will have FedEx pick it up and bring it to us. We'll go through it and get everything back to proper function, then ship it back. Please detach and keep the handle, locator buttons, case feed post and clear plastic feed tube, spent primer cup and low primer alarm. For shipping purposes please detach the powder measure, but do include it.

While you may prefer to read about solutions online, our experience is that phoning us while you're in front of the machine and being our eyes is the best way to easily resolve most issues with a machine. YMMV. :ph34r:

Thanks,

Before I go down that road, check the pictures I just posted into the thread and see if you think thats my problem. Looks like the corner that moves the primer arm is shaved down to where its not fully engaging the arm now. If you agree I want to try that part before I send it in to you guys.

And I apologize to everyone. I let my angry on this get ahead of me since I was loading ammo for a class this weekend for both me and a friend.

BTW, looking at the primer cam I suspect the disc was locked up by an out of round primer, and the handle forced. Do you recall it requiring significant additional pressure to pull the handle down?

Yup. That would be the point where I lost my temper. The primer cam is the only thing that appears to be broken, the primer arm looks just like it did previously when the press was cycling.

Manually push the primer index arm to advance the primer disc, and see if it goes far enough over. If it does, then replacing the cam will correct that. If not, then the primer index arm also needs replacement. If the index arm is okay, then you can file the bevel at bit, and shim out the block from behind so you can continue to load now. Use cardboard behind the cam block to shim it out. Then call us so we can get the parts mailed out tomorrow.

And I apologize to everyone. I let my angry on this get ahead of me since I was loading ammo for a class this weekend for both me and a friend.

Thats perfectly understandable. :)

But don't give up hope. Dillon has some of the best tech support guys on the phone, and when they say they will ship a new part out to you, you will have it in a matter of only a couple of days.

Dillon really is wonderful to work with on the phone. Plus they have the easiest phone number to remember ..... 800-223-4570

:cheers:

Manually push the primer index arm to advance the primer disc, and see if it goes far enough over. If it does, then replacing the cam will correct that. If not, then the primer index arm also needs replacement. If the index arm is okay, then you can file the bevel at bit, and shim out the block from behind so you can continue to load now. Use cardboard behind the cam block to shim it out. Then call us so we can get the parts mailed out tomorrow.

Ya still looks like the arm pushes the plate all the way but it still snaps back. Not entirely sure if thats because of the way I'm pressing it or not.

I was having a problem like yours, it turned out that the two screws that hold the platform on had loosened up just a tad, that through everything out of whack, hard to index, primers not centering on hole, cases not engaging in slots deep enough.

After getting it tightened up, I was able to cycle the handle as fast as i possibly could, sizing some 223 brass, not a problem

First off, I really like Dillon!

I had an issue with a Dillon product and called them. I sent them a picture and posted it to YouTube. Did the same with a video, posted it to YouTube and sent them the link.

Talked with Dillon staff on the phone while we all watched the video. New parts were in the mail that day.

Talk about great customer service.

I don't have any issues with my 650. But even if I did I know that Dillon stands behind their product and is willing to go to whatever lengths needed to solve the issue. The evidence is shown here daily by their presence on this forum. If anyone has congenital issues with their Dillon equipment its usually not due to a failure of Dillon supporting their product but instead the customer not willing to work the issue. If I had as many issues as this customer and Dillon said "I will have FedEx come by and pick it up so we can get it fixed" I would have that thing boxed up and ready to head out with a smile knowing that my purchase is in good hands. I don't understand why some people refuse to be helped and then whine about it not working right??? :ph34r:

One the phone with dillon for less than 2 mins and the parts are out.

Thanks.

So, what was it exactly? I would kind of like to know.

If you follow the thread, the OP admitted to forcing the handle at some point instead of looking for the issue (most likely a bad primer)which in turn damaged the primer cam in the picture. Expectedly the primer feed experienced continued malfuntions following the parts damage.

All in all a fairly common occurrence if you add up new user, new machine, time pressure, and a lack of RTFM.

Have you sent it in for us to look at yet?

Your problems could be inter-related. What primers are you using? Have you cleaned the interior of the magazine tubes and the primer seating punch/bushing assembly? Is the interior of the ring indexer greased?

Haven't sent it back yet. If I'm paying shipping its gone for good.

Using Wolf and Federal Large Rifle Primers

Seems I end up cleaning them alot, and yes the ring indexer is greased.

I re greased everything after the plastic indexer broke in half.

Seems to me it is more of an operator issue. I've never had a problem with my 650 unless I screwed up like overtightening the shell plate and breaking the indexer. Only issue with feeding primers is when I get WCC or other crimped brass in my mix. My press is over 10 years old and I load about 2K rounds a week on it.

• 4 weeks later...

So ya I'm angry. One gets tired of constant problems....the machine runs smooth for awhile, and then its right back to having problems where nothing was changed.

The answer of calling dillon for support is nice and all. But I'd rather see the information posted on the web where if someone has the same problem down the road they can hopefully Google it, instead of having to call a support line.

You are your own worst enemy at this point. Get on the phone to Dillon when you have a good amount of time to go over the machine. IF that doesn't solve the problem then ask for a call ticket to be sent to you and get the machine back to Dillon. You personally don't know how to fix it. Get help from a real expert and stop making yourself upset trying to do this all yourself.

Nevermind just gonna get rid of it.

Let me know how much you're selling it for. I'd love to buy a "broken 650" for a good price. Was going to get a 550B but if you've got a deal on a 650 I might do that instead.