Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do Dillons have so many problems?

Little bit of a vent post.

I've had it with this 650, I've got so many damn problems with this pos.

1.) Primer pick up tubes are always getting jammed

2.) Indexing rings break.

3.) Primer punch seems to constantly need attention to get seated correctly.

4.) Primers jamming in feed tube.

5.) Primers being jammed in side ways.

6.) Cases not aways feeding

etc

It seems every time I correct a problem something else comes up. I'm to the point where buying two more rcbs chargemasters and ditching the dillon seems like the way to go.

UGH

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you sent it in for us to look at yet?

Your problems could be inter-related. What primers are you using? Have you cleaned the interior of the magazine tubes and the primer seating punch/bushing assembly? Is the interior of the ring indexer greased?

Have you sent it in for us to look at yet?

Your problems could be inter-related. What primers are you using? Have you cleaned the interior of the magazine tubes and the primer seating punch/bushing assembly? Is the interior of the ring indexer greased?

Haven't sent it back yet. If I'm paying shipping its gone for good.

Using Wolf and Federal Large Rifle Primers

Seems I end up cleaning them alot, and yes the ring indexer is greased.

I re greased everything after the plastic indexer broke in half.

Are you sure you've followed the setup instructions correctly? Are you aware that your press comes with a life time warranty and you could ship it Dillon and ask them to fix it?

Are you sure you've followed the setup instructions correctly? Are you aware that your press comes with a life time warranty and you could ship it Dillon and ask them to fix it?

Yes its setup correctly, and yes I've already used the warranty after 20 rounds because the index plastic broke in half.

where is the bidding at right now? $450? I'll give you $475.

I love my 650. It's so smooth and reliable.

Why not just give the guys at Dillon a call and let them try and talk you through it .

What I don't get is...if I've set it up correctly why does it work fine for so many rounds and then go to hell.

About the only useful piece of advice I've gotten off another forum so far is to pull off the primer disk and debur it. And hopefully that will fix my primers from being crushed in sideways etc.

I have had better luck with Lee Dies, first stage sizer primer punch just works better. Suggest you run a small patch through the primer pick up tubes. I have used a piece of paper towel to clear any trash that might be in a new tube. Try another brand of primer. Winchester works Great in my machine.

Just set up a new to me machine Monday and it is outstanding. I could not be more pleased but it takes just a little tweaking. Cases wouldn't fall so I moved the case feeder just a little and it's dropping them every time.

Check and see if the machine is level. I had to put a fender washer under one corner of the strong mount on mine.

Got a question call Dillon, there's no body better to deal with. They want you to be happy with their product.

Be sure and ask for someone that has setup and loaded on a 650.

Worst case it might have to go back but you have a good machine once it's tuned you'll really enjoy it.

Honestly I wish I could give you some advice other than I feel your pain. We bought a 650 and it was really a royal PITA so we "downgraded" to a 550 and have never been happier. Broke that round plastic indexing wheel thing twice plus I had two catastrophic KB's in the primer system. That was enough for me...

Honestly I wish I could give you some advice other than I feel your pain. We bought a 650 and it was really a royal PITA so we "downgraded" to a 550 and have never been happier. Broke that round plastic indexing wheel thing twice plus I had two catastrophic KB's in the primer system. That was enough for me...

Ya I'm surprised with all the crushed primers it hasn't kabooomed yet.

but, really, pack it up and send it back to Dillion to go thru it. The only problems I have had was not making sure all the bolts were tightened. I have crushed a few casings because somehow I crushed the piece that the bullet slides in from the tube to station 1. Bent it to hell, I replaced it and have not had any other problems.

Otherwise lets get the bidding going..

What it up to now? :sight:

where do you live? maybe someone else that has one lives close enough they can come over and take a look at it.

I would hate to see you get rid of it. A buddy of mine has a Hornady Lock and Load, Thats one that i dont like.

Lets see if we cant get it fixed.

Has it sold yet, I can place it next to my 650 and 550.

It might be sold soon at the rate its going. Just gotta get rid of the case feeder also.

It would be worth the price of the freight to send it back to Dillon. So many people are happy with them. I loaded 500 rounds last night of 40 S&W in about 1 hour. I was thinking during that time how simple some of the things were but at the same time so ingenius. Like the round buttons the keep the cases where they need to be. It rolls them right back in at every station. Or the tips on the primer tubes... Mine works like a Rolex keeps time. Toward the end of the session the handle would not go up enough to seat a primer...I was like what the heck...it took me a minute to figure out the full bin was flexing the chute so the slide for cases was hitting it. There is no need to be so frustrated with something that has a warranty and that others are so happy with. Good luck with it.

Might be the Federal primers. One of the local club shooters cant use Federal primers in his 650 cause they flip over or something. I had some teething troubles with my 550 when I first got it. I was about ready to light it on fire or shoot it with my 870 :angry:. After research and some calls to the Dillon tech line all is pretty much good. If I could do it over again I would have gone straight to the 650 though. Sounds like maybe an adjustment problem. The Dillon tech line should be able to help get everything squared away.