Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rem 1100 Tac4 Daves Easyloader adjustment help

3gunnut

Hi

Had a gumsmith install a Daves Metalwork Easyloader gate on a Remington 1100 Tac4. When I first got it back the bolt would not stay open on last shot ever. Same Gunsmith adjusted it again but now it seems worse ... once in a while bolt will still not stay open on last shot - but worse the bolt will stay open on (what seems like) the next to last shot - the last shell cant seem to "trigger" the bolt closed. So the bolt stays open with a live round in the carrier.

Is this normal with the Daves Easyloader product? I mean do they ever run perfect: open bolt after last shot and bolt closed on a live shell 100% of the time???

My situation seem unique since I am getting BOTH closed bolt after last shat AND open bolt with shells still in gun. Can this be made to work correctly or am I stuck with this as is? I am guessing this is an adjustment issue???

Who are the 1100 guru gunsmiths out there who can get this thing to work right for me? Are there any other products other than Daves Easyloader I should look at in the future for ease of loading 1100's for three gun while staying in tactical class. Thanks

Edited by 3gunnut

Gun ran 100% with ALL ammo prior to adding easyload gate ... I was able to mix and match ammo too - Wallyworld Federal, Rem Gun Club - this 1100 didnt care at all. I miss the good old days with this gun :)

Edited by 3gunnut

Is the easyloader full length. I had to cut the easyloader. I cut 1/4" to 3/8" off of the length. At full length, the mass of the easyloader would cause the bolt to close on empty. Once cut, it worked better. I have installed 2, they are a PITA. I wont do it again.

The root cause depends on what the gunsmith did to "fix" the first problem. As a general rule of thumb, installing an EZ Loader is a monumental PITA, takes a lot of trial-and-error fitting and thus time, and so is probably not a very profitable activity for a gunsmith unless he has done a bunch of them and thus knows all the tricks. If this is the first one installed by your gunsmith, he probably did not do an optimal job. This is why I prefer to install my own.

With the above said, the "locking open" problem could be caused by a couple of things:

1) Weak magazine spring. This is a known issue with the 1100/11-87 and has nothing to do with the EZ Loader. If the mag spring is weak, then the last few shells may not be ejected from the magazine tube with enough force to release the carrier. Try installing a Wolff extra power magazine spring and see if it fixes the problem.

2) Incorrectly adjusted "springy finger". I don't know what Remington actually calls this part, but it is a bent piece of metal on the carrier - see the photo below. This finger holds the carrier latch (labeled "carrier release" in the photo) back once it has been hit by the base of the next shell... if it is incorrectly adjusted (such as by your gunsmith bending it accidentally or on purpose) then the gun may indeed lock open with a shell on the carrier.

11-87CarrierReleaseOperationannotat.jpg

Check both these aspects, then come back and let us know if you still have a problem.

By the way, I also found the most reliable way to stop premature bolt closure is to shorten the EZ Loader - the Dremel is your friend :roflol:

Lastly, I predict your next problem will be a broken roll pin on your EZ Loader - this is a common problem. You can fix this by using a solid pin, or by inserting a snug-fitting piece of music wire inside the roll pin before installing it. I went the music wire route and have not had a roll pin break since.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I mailed my trigger group off to Dave at DMW and he installed the Easyloader for me for a very reasonable price with a fast turnaround time. I mentioned that I would probably shorten it and he did it for me gratis. It works great.

I believe he is the guru you seek.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Weak magazine spring. This is a known issue with the 1100/11-87 and has nothing to do with the EZ Loader. If the mag spring is weak, then the last few shells may not be ejected from the magazine tube with enough force to release the carrier. Try installing a Wolff extra power magazine spring and see if it fixes the problem.

I've had issues for years with an 1100 that I don't play with much, and I'm pretty sure this is the issue. I just play with shotguns infrequently enough that I've never gotten around to doing anything about it.

The gun runs perfectly with Wallyworld blasting ammo, or reduced power buck / slugs. But chokes up every time when I shoot "full powered" ammo, locking the bolt back with one on the carrier. It makes sense that this would be caused by a weak spring. Heavy recoil = not enough spring tension to throw the next shell into the carrier release tab.

I don't see any 1100 magazine spring on Wolff's website. Help me out here, where should I be looking? And what length spring do I want for a 10-round mag tube?

I just finished installing two EZ loaders. One on a CM and another on a Tac 4. Both are working well. Just shortened the one on my CM.

I used a sewing needle to strengthen the roll pin.

I've tested only with light value pack loads. Need to run some HOT stuff to be sure she's 100%.

Really wasn't that bad to install, but I do all my own gun work.

yeah, it can go easy or bad. I have installed 2, one was a breeze the other was a major PITA. Best thing is to be patient and take off small bits at a time. Also, it is good advice to have extra roll pins. I found extras at TSC for a couple of bucks.

• 5 years later...

Old posts, not sure if anyone is still available to offer assistance?

I installed DMW easy lifter, it wasn't hard.

Issues u am encountering, it seems to lock back on empty. Loaded and manually cycling exposes these issues.

1) a shell will pop half out of the mag tube locking up the action.
2) I've installed a shorter mag tube and spring it still happens.
3) I've installed a plus 9 tube and it's spring it still happens, I've trimmed 4 inches off the spring, it seems slightly better. Though still not correct.
4)Some rounds in a manual cycling seem to not loft up to the breech and hamg up the action.
5) This issue has always been present, some times the bolt is hard to open when the gun has been fired, you'll have to pull real hard to cycle and clear the spent case.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is a Premium Slug Gun, the ports were slightly drilled out to cycle low brass and cheap wally rounds, in practice it's 100% reliable yet in a match it acts up.

Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, blampman007 said:

Old posts, not sure if anyone is still available to offer assistance?

I installed DMW easy lifter, it wasn't hard.

Issues u am encountering, it seems to lock back on empty. Loaded and manually cycling exposes these issues.

1) a shell will pop half out of the mag tube locking up the action.
2) I've installed a shorter mag tube and spring it still happens.
3) I've installed a plus 9 tube and it's spring it still happens, I've trimmed 4 inches off the spring, it seems slightly better. Though still not correct.
4)Some rounds in a manual cycling seem to not loft up to the breech and hamg up the action.
5) This issue has always been present, some times the bolt is hard to open when the gun has been fired, you'll have to pull real hard to cycle and clear the spent case.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is a Premium Slug Gun, the ports were slightly drilled out to cycle low brass and cheap wally rounds, in practice it's 100% reliable yet in a match it acts up.

Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Maybe some help here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_1/305257_INSTALL--Dave-s-Metal-Works-Easyloader---Remington-1100-12ga--56k-BEWARE--.html