Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ever try a sub compact?

JerryShoots

My carry guns run too. It's to do with wear and breaking things without knowing until the CLICK. Game guns get a lot more wear. I don't do IDPA in my suits and I don't do gun games with my carry guns.

Smallest thing I shot IDPA with was a G19, I believe, which didn't seem to affect me too much from using my normal 17.

In the spirit of pocket/subcompact guns, we have a local gentleman here who has started up a new sport/game specifically to focus on the little guns. It's the Pocket Carry Competition Association and it's just getting off the ground, but it's great fun. Folks out there shooting all kinds of snubby revolvers, LCP's, you name it. Of course everyone is shooting a mouse gun so it's not a disadvantage to have one.

Edited by toddje

My wife has a full sized 9mm and shoots it well. When she decided to get a G26 I was a bit concerned because of the "everybody knows" disadvantage of a short sight radius. She just beats the heck out of the targets with it. I was surprised. I have a 21SF I shoot lots and run it well. I drew a Certificate for a gun from the RO pool at last years GSSF match and I'm amazed at the accuracy and friendliness of the G30 I got as a carry gun. I have placed above my usual average in several matches since I began running it regularly. I have yet another pal that competes exclusivly now with his G26 in production and a recently acquired G29 (10mm!!) in L10 and places well consistently. There are several Police Officers I'm pals with that use these as off duty guns and carry them on duty as backup guns and I've regularly heard them say how much better they shoot the Sub's than the full sized guns they qualify with. I've even seen the aforementioned G26, G29 pal shoot the G26 at 75 yards and hit 9 out of 10 on the first shot on full sized poppers and put them down. So I have to say that generally, if you do your job, the darn things are VERY accurate and fun to run in a match. If you have the compulsion to "win" there may be disadvantages but if you just want to shoot well and have fun.....Yee Ha!! I think it's very smart to compete with your carry gun!

I used my XDsub the first time I joined the IDPA because it says in the webpage and from what I understand it's better to use your concealed carry gun which is right. IDPA supposedly act as a real life cenarios practice for you and your gun. But I noticed most of the members are geared up for like other practical shooting competition. Now I use 1911 goldcup. :unsure::(

I shot the Florida State Championship with a S&W 669 and old Illinois State Police Don Hume holster.

The only weird thing about it is that it has a magazine disconnector so I carried an inert magazine for the Unload and Show Clear.

• 2 weeks later...

This is supposed to be game to hone your shooting skills with your CCW gun....right? In my opinion anything else is just gaming.

I shoot a Glock 26, IWB holster, factory ammo and shirt to cover. Do well with it.

Peace

My carry gun is a G19, so it runs just fine in match, although i a G17rtf2 is my match gun.

I will probably get a 26 in the near future, and Ill run it every now and then in a local match.

My Dad shoots his Kahr PM9 every few months.

Edited by shootaglock89

I started shooting a G26, IWB holster, factory ammo and shirt to cover. I did well with it. Then I figured out the game and bought a G34, Comp-Tac, handloaded ammo and a 5.11 vest to cover. :roflol: I'll occasionally shoot my G19, but only when we have an IDPA "Defensive Carry Match". Wait...aren't they all supposed to be... :blink:

Haven't tried this game yet, but have shot my Kimber Ultra Cary 45 in several USPSA matches and did better with it than my full sized 1911. This was before I replaced the sights on the Norinco with something that I could actually see :blink:

What is funny is that my normal carry holster is a shortened Blackhawk Serpa that I use because of nerve damage that won't let me use any of the IWB holsters that I have tried.

With luck this year, I will make it down to Gridley for one of their IDPA shoots.