Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light strikes with major loads only

latech15

They make rifle primers harder for a reason and you are making your pistol loads hotter than the SSP primers you are using are designed for, thus the failures you are seeing. I could be wrong, but I've seen it enough that I'd laying a few $'s down just by looking at the photos you posted. Like I stated above, they aren't igniting because it appears the flash hole is clogged.

What's wrong with CCI SPP? I used rifle primers with my old gun, but if this one wouldn't set off SPP, I doubt that it would set off harder ones.

They make rifle primers harder for a reason and you are making your pistol loads hotter than the SSP primers you are using are designed for, thus the failures you are seeing. I could be wrong, but I've seen it enough that I'd laying a few $'s down just by looking at the photos you posted. Like I stated above, they aren't igniting because it appears the flash hole is clogged.

You are lighting off the SPP primers. As stated above the ones that don't go off are because there 1/2 grain of shaved/melted primer cup between the NEXT primer and the firing pin.

That's what Loves2Shoot is saying.

Edited by Powder Finger

Ok, that makes sense. When I was shooting the major loads, and 5 out of the ten wouldn't go off, it was typically the last five. That evidence would hold true with the problem being that there were primer particles in the firing pin hole. I never cleaned out that hole though, before loading the minor stuff and having it go off like clockwork. Also it doesn't explain why the " shooting a pencil out of the barrel" trick would only just barely get the pencil out of the barrel even after cleaning the firing pin hole/channel.

Maybe it is just better at this point if you guys confirm my plan. I will install the xl firing pin and new 17lb mainspring and start using rifle primers. Those three things should take care of the problem completely, correct?

I will install the xl firing pin and new 17lb mainspring and start using rifle primers. Those three things should take care of the problem completely, correct?

Those are the standard things I would suggest as far as how the gun and ammo should be set up.

If you dry fired the gun (ie dropping the hammer) that could have cleared the debris, the pencil test isn't always accurate if you've hit it once already. I use aluminum rod the appropriate diameter and face it off once it has been hit once.

I will install the xl firing pin and new 17lb mainspring and start using rifle primers. Those three things should take care of the problem completely, correct?

Those are the standard things I would suggest as far as how the gun and ammo should be set up.

If you dry fired the gun (ie dropping the hammer) that could have cleared the debris, the pencil test isn't always accurate if you've hit it once already. I use aluminum rod the appropriate diameter and face it off once it has been hit once.

Not true, everytime I did it it hit a ceiling fan or something else that got the wife unit wound up about. :)

Edited by Powder Finger

I have a separate detached building which houses an office, sleeping quarters, full bath, and kitchen with refrigerator usually full of beer, oh yeah, and all my gun and reloading gear. I have either a place to do all my gun testing or a place to stay when she runs me out of the house.

Oh, and you have to remember that some of us don't have metal lathes at our disposal. Pencils are all some of us have!

CCI Small pistol primers

Autocomp

6.7 grains

169 pf

124 gr mg's

1.170 OAL

I'm using 7.0 gr WAC with 124 MG JHP at 1.165"

to get up to 169 pf with my TruBor.

6.7 gr doesn't sound like an over load to me.

Are you sure about the OAL and the powder weight?

Jack

Yep. Tried plenty of combinations. 7.0 got me to 171 pf. 6.6 was 167. Bumped up to 6.7 and got to 169. Happy there.

I thought it was fast, but that is what the chrono says.

Edited by latech15

I have a separate detached building which houses an office, sleeping quarters, full bath, and kitchen with refrigerator usually full of beer, oh yeah, and all my gun and reloading gear. I have either a place to do all my gun testing or a place to stay when she runs me out of the house.

Oh, and you have to remember that some of us don't have metal lathes at our disposal. Pencils are all some of us have!

That sounds real good.......in theory........wait until she vacuum's up a live primer and pops it........she WILL find you. :blink:

Hello: I can use small rifle primers and small pistol magnum primers also. I prefer the magnum primers since they are a little softer than the small rifle. Both primers will increase your power factor a little over small pistol primers. I use a Dawson firing pin and ISMI firing pin spring. You have to check the Dawson firing pin to make sure it is not too long and actually sits out of the breachface :surprise: A quick job in the lathe to fix that. Thanks, Eric