Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light strikes with major loads only

latech15

I have been shooting a new to me SV 9mm open gun for a few months now with minor loads only. I just got in a shipment from Montana gold and decided to try major loads. I put in new springs and made up some autocomp loads and tried them out. At first i was getting 1in 10 light strikes with no bang and it got to the point where it was more like 5 in 10. Barely a dimple in the primers. I swapped mainsprings sit my limited gun, firing pins, fb springs, recoil springs, nearly everything I could think of.

I tried the pencil trick, where you drop a pencil down in the barrel and see if it will shoot out just from the firing pin hitting it. It would shoot out but only a little bit. I swapped msh's with the limited gun again, and still wouldn't shoot it out nearly as far as the limited gun. I have ordered a new 17 lb ms and a xl firing pin, which I think will fix the problem but it is really bugging me. Anybody got any thoughts as to why?

Oh, btw, minor loads still fire off perfectly.

CCI primers in both cases. Most will NOT go off if shot again. Every once in a while I get one where I can thumb cock the gun and it will go off but most won't fire at all. I tried as many as 5 times with some rounds.

OAL is different. The major stuff is loaded to 1.170 and the minor stuff is a tad shorter. I can't figure out how that would make a difference, but you guys are smarter than me so I thought I'd throw it out there.

The three on the left were the minor PF stuff that did go off. The one on the right was major PF that DID go BANG.

IMG_0727.jpg?t=1301848306

This is a close up of the major PF one.

IMG_0728.jpg?t=1301848426

Here are two major PF ones that wouldn't go off with four tries.

IMG_0729.jpg?t=1301848484

No, actually the other way around. I used Hornady One shot with the minor stuff and nothing on the major rounds.

I cut four coils off of the firing pin spring today and fires 50 or so rounds with all going bang. It is apparently fixed for the short term and I think that the XL firing pin will fix it permanently, but it still is a mystery as to what is causing this.

excessive headspace or your gun is headspacing with the extractor, the major rounds cycle the rounds harder and jam the rounds a bit farther in the barrel than the minor loads. Pull the barrel and check the headspace.

Joe, NOW I think you are on to something. I did notice that all of these rounds have too much crimp on them. That could cause them to dive deeper into the actual barrel rather than headspacing on the case mouth.

So the fix is obviously to fix the crimp issue, but could it be a loose extractor as well?

headspacing with the extractor is bad, think about sticking a 9mm in a 9X23 chamber, the extractor will sometimes hold it tight enough for the firing pin to set off the primer. But an extractor is designed to extract, not to headspace. If a loose extractor is causing light strikes your brass isnt chambering on the case mouth like it should. Pull the barrel and drop the rounds in, you should get a nice solid "chunk" sound with the primer flush with the hood, turn the barrel up and the round should fall out..

No chunk sound. It stops about 1/16 from there. It goes in the rest of the way with very light finger pressure and is headspacing correctly at that point. No drop in and chunk though. Drops right in my case gauge with a chunk though.

The three on the left were the minor PF stuff that did go off. The one on the right was major PF that DID go BANG.

IMG_0727.jpg?t=1301848306

This is a close up of the major PF one.

IMG_0728.jpg?t=1301848426

Here are two major PF ones that wouldn't go off with four tries.

IMG_0729.jpg?t=1301848484

Primer flow into firing pin hole in breach face.

Caused by hot loads or what?

I agree on the u die. Its on the list. That however, wouldn't have anything to do with the light strikes would it? The force required to push the round down into the barrel until you get the solid headspacing feel and sound is literally a few ounces. Really nothing at all.

Your second picture shows really bad primer flow which will clog up your firing pin hole very quickly. Run a pipe cleaner through the hole and clean it out completely. The third picture from what I can see looks like high primers and imprints from debris left over from the shaved primer material which will also cause misfires.

How do you stop primer flow?

The third picture shows primers that were hit with 4 or 5 light strikes in the gun. The primers were fine when I put them in the first time. Primers were fully seated. As fully seated as a 550 will allow them to be.

How do you stop primer flow?

The third picture shows primers that were hit with 4 or 5 light strikes in the gun. The primers were fine when I put them in the first time. Primers were fully seated. As fully seated as a 550 will allow them to be.

By reducing the pressure. You have to change something if you are getting primer flow. Powder, bullet, primer, OAL, something. Your pressure is too high and you are risking a kaboom. Primer flow is caused by over pressure.

Before you go about stopping primer flow you need to chrono the loads and find out if it's just plain over pressure.

If your velocity is in line then you can go to a larger dia firing pin, different primers, ETC........

It kind of all starts with what you are loading now (your load, primer/powder/bullet/velocity) then recomendations on how to proceed I'm sure will follow. I just saw the above post #21 and agree completely.

Back off the powder a little then do the stuff above and work up slow.

Bottom line is you are melting metal.

Edited by Powder Finger