Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel plates that don't hit the ground

I've seen steel plates that are hinged to a bracket that attaches to a wood or metal support. When you shoot them, they just fall back, not to the ground. Anyone know who makes these?

Thanks

I've seen steel plates that are hinged to a bracket that attaches to a wood or metal support. When you shoot them, they just fall back, not to the ground.

Are you saying that they just fall back a short way? Are you sure that they are not just falling back onto some support?

Hello, sorry, I thought the web guy added the hinged targets to the site. we have the targets in stock, you can call for details. They are extremely durable and built like little sherman tanks. we will have one stage set up at PSA shootout of the hinged targets and a few sliders.

610 287 5868 or cell 610 247 0633

regards, karl @ GT

Kimmie:

Here is a picture of the hinged steel plate from GT Targets:

Below is part of an e-mail I received from Karl @ GT concerning pricing:

...they mount on a standard 2x4 pc. of wood, the lower part is a 4x4 angle to deflect low

shots off to the sides. the targets are usually 3/8" AR500, we do make

them in 1/4" AR500 when a customer requests that size.

the targets cost in 3/8"AR500 retail prices:

6" round 80.00

8" round 90.00

10" round 100.00

12" round 120.00

Karl helped me last summer with a custom project, I would not hesitate to order these targets from him. He and

GT Targets are top notch!

I hope this helps,

John K.

post-12542-057232200 1301659087_thumb.jp

Kimmie:

Here is a picture of the hinged steel plate from GT Targets:

Below is part of an e-mail I received from Karl @ GT concerning pricing:

...they mount on a standard 2x4 pc. of wood, the lower part is a 4x4 angle to deflect low

shots off to the sides. the targets are usually 3/8" AR500, we do make

them in 1/4" AR500 when a customer requests that size.

the targets cost in 3/8"AR500 retail prices:

6" round 80.00

8" round 90.00

10" round 100.00

12" round 120.00

Karl helped me last summer with a custom project, I would not hesitate to order these targets from him. He and

GT Targets are top notch!

I hope this helps,

John K.

Yup! Those are them!!! Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
I thought the web guy added the hinged targets to the site.

After the PSA match, you should look to update your site. I know that you have a variety of different shapes and sizes and would really like photos or at least dimensions and prices to work from.

I have found, that 100% of the steel targets you shoot at and miss don't hit the ground....Buy those! :roflol:

Funny. Maybe that's why I'm confused - I have to hit them???? :roflol:

Anyway - just got 4 10" hinged plates from Karl via UPS. Once I made up my mind what I wanted, I got them in a matter of days. They are 'EXACTLY' what I was thinking of. From what I can see, the contruction of them is solid and they look really easy to mount - like Karl said - a 2 x 4 is all you need. Can't wait to get them to the range to try them. I'll post pictures when I get a chance. And a very nice discount too. :D

Don't forget to have a match official watch the targets as they are shot. Edge hits that don't drop the steel are REF.

Really? I didn't know that. I guess I thought it would be the same as an edge hit on a popper. Can you ask for a calibration on these kind of plates?

Thanks for the heads up.

o.k. Found it - rule 4.3.1.6. Guess I need to re-read my book. And it's been beaten to death on another thread! Again, thanks for the heads up!

Donna

I also saw something interesting with these at the PSA shootout. They used these on two stages and they had a metal V protecting the upper few inches of the posts the targets were on. But on occasion, someone would hit the V and the target would fall.

Hinged plates are fine for a steel match with club rules and for practice. For a match, I would strongly suggest using plates that fall. Put a large log or similar protector in front of the support so that a hit on the support is unlikely. Remember, the plate MUST fall when hit and a hit on the support that causes the plate to fall is REF and is a required re-shoot.

Jim

The plates are mostly for practice and local club 'action shooting' matches. But this info is good to know for our USPSA matches next winter. Our range is small so we should be able to see how they get hit and now I'll know how to place them to try to avoid some of the issues I read about on other threads. As a matter of fact, I think I'll print out one of those threads to have on hand for reference. Thanks for all the info. I learn more here about the rules than having read my book 100 times already. And getting ready to read it 100 times more! So much to learn.