Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burned Finger

Sarge

Well, I broke the cardinal rule of never ever doing anything to your gun the day before a match. I decided to change out my FO rod for my first big match of the year. Ended up burning the tip of my middle finger on my strong hand. Burned it pretty good and it is hurting all the way back to the palm.

Any ideas to reduce some of the pain for this weekend? I shoot Friday. I know I'll probably end up with a bandage on it and that sucks.

What are some of the old tricks you guys use for burns?

Thanks!

Burn gel with Lidocane,.. keep it in your range bag,.. if it starts t hurt Lidocane will numb it for a bit..and get you through the match,.. just keep it off anything you don't want numbed..:surprise: sounds like you tapped into a nerve with it hurting all the way back..

Aloe with aid in healing,..and it will just take time..

keep an eye out for any discoloration,darkness or red lines .. if you see any get thee to a doctor

I had a burn last year almost cost me a finger,..but was lucky,.. still got all of them and they work..

John

When I expect my back to act up I will take a couple of Aleve. It does seem to last most of the shooting day.

If it really hurts, maybe bump up to 800mg or so of Motrin instead? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibuprofen

You probably have a 2nd degree burn. I would imagine it will blister. If you can, don't break the blister (you might need to to shoot). If it does blister, and it breaks, then you need to take steps to keep it clean and prevent it from getting infected...which is more important than any one match.

Here is one site brought up with a quick google search. http://quickcare.org/skin/burns.html

I have some Power Flex grip tape. Similar stuff is used to wrap horses. It only sticks to itself and comes apart easy enough if you can find the end. It is kind of a stretchy, rubbery mesh. Great stuff for athletic wrap (and for grip tape too...I used to use it on my Glock).

I have some Power Flex grip tape. Similar stuff is used to wrap horses. It only sticks to itself and comes apart easy enough if you can find the end. It is kind of a stretchy, rubbery mesh. Great stuff for athletic wrap (and for grip tape too...I used to use it on my Glock).

Seems fitting that it would be called "Power Flex". B)

I'll pass along a secret for refocusing pain. It always works.

Before the match tomorrow, take a small pair of vice grips. Clamp them on to your "happy" parts and leave them there.

I can guarantee that finger will not bother you at all. :surprise:

You can thank me at the match Saturday.

Dave

Well, I broke the cardinal rule of never ever doing anything to your gun the day before a match. I decided to change out my FO rod for my first big match of the year. Ended up burning the tip of my middle finger on my strong hand. Burned it pretty good and it is hurting all the way back to the palm.

Any ideas to reduce some of the pain for this weekend? I shoot Friday. I know I'll probably end up with a bandage on it and that sucks.

What are some of the old tricks you guys use for burns?

Thanks!

I have to ask---Where you using a blow torch to cut the FO rod? A razor blade works better, but then you might have cut the finger off! :roflol: