Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any experience with .224 diameter 62 grain Privi Partizan bullets?

triggerhound

Does anyone have any experience reloading with .224 diameter 62 grain FMJ BT Privi Partizan Bullets? I'm considering using them to reload for 3 gun to get a little better performance out of my 1:7 twist barrel. Can anyone give a testimonial on how accurate they are or how well they group?

I'm not interested in their factory loaded ammo. I'm interested to know if anyone has reloaded their own cartridges with these bullets and were able to get good results.

Thanks!

You didn't ask this but I'm gonna toss it out there, anyway. Most 62gr bullets are Steel core & thus will be attracted to a magnet. This makes them unsuitable for 3 gun in most cases because they will punch through even ar-500. Might check on that before you buy any, if you want them for 3 gun matches.

MLM

You didn't ask this but I'm gonna toss it out there, anyway. Most 62gr bullets are Steel core & thus will be attracted to a magnet. This makes them unsuitable for 3 gun in most cases because they will punch through even ar-500. Might check on that before you buy any, if you want them for 3 gun matches.

Not according to PRVI or any website I could find selling them in 10min. I also found 6 other brands of of 62gr bullets which are not steel core, and only 2 that are, and those were pulldowns.

I've been looking at a few options. I bought my rifle with a 1:7 twist before I knew was I was doing. Now that I do... I'm trying to dial in a good load for competition. I hear the Hornady bullets are very nice and very accurate. I'm looking for an accurate bullet that I can buy in bulk from a reliable source at a decent price. You know: basically asking for the world. ;)

The thing is ... 1:7, 1:8, 1:9 matters less then people indicate. In my experience, some barrels "like" some bullets better then others. My 1:7 shoots 55gr better then 75gr, but likes 65-69gr best. Mind you this is based on the heavy scientific method of shooting one box of each in random factory loads. Sure, some bolt guns with 1:12 will have issues with anything above 55gr, but I wouldn't swear 1:7. First try a variety of factory loads in a variety of weights, then worry about which bullet you want to reload.

If you want to improve accuracy, get bullets manufactured for accuracy. 62 grain bullets are not match bullets. 52 grain Match Kings shoot quite well in a 7" twist. Hornady 55 FMJ's shoot well in a 7" twist as will Nosler 55 Ballistic Tips. Hornady 75 BTHP's shoot well out of my 9" twist AR.

Yeah, those PP 62s are just for plinking or close range stuff.

I used them at the first local 3-gun a few weekends ago in my POF out to maybe 250 yds.

Past that I wouldn't waste the time.

They are less expensive than the Horn 55fmjbt and are hopefully less prone to baffle strikes out of that POF 1x7 w/can which is the only selling point for me.

Couldn't get them to group nearly as well as decent bullets from sierra, berger, nosler, etc.

No matter what the load.

Nick

I used those bullets exclusively for multi-gun last year.

They yielded "acceptable" accuracy (3MOA) with a rack grade rifle.

I wouldn't expect them to be precise enough for a precision rifle.