Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ammo, what and where...

fastarget

Where I work we get PMC 223 all the time, I use it on my lunch practicing 50-yrds offhand. We use it all the time with our rental guns too. But from my first hand exp.wolf was sticking to the magnet which I would think is steel core making it basically Armor Piercing correct?

From Wolfs website is says the 55fmj is a "bi-metal,copper"(wash?) 62gr and 77gr bullets are just Bi-metal. The Gold line is copper but thats it....says their website.

Edited by fueddy

Steel jacketed ammo is steel jacket with a lead core, and it is not armor piercing. In fact, lots of steel targets get shot with it to no immediate effect. I shot lots of matches with steel targets and saw lots of Wolf and Bear cases on the ground, and no holes or pockmarks on the targets. Now, that was a particular set of steel, and it is plausible that the targets are worn out faster, but there was no visible damage. Change that to US M855 or any NATO with SS109 bullets, and the targets get damage.

By the way, lots of US 7.62x51 is copper washed steel jacket. And pretty much all the USGI M2 ball (30-06) has steel jacket. So if you buy "cheap" 30 cal surplus bullets, be sure they do not attract a magnet. Far from armor piercing, but get you DQ'ed.

Lee

I know the difference between steel jacketing and steel core. My point is that I have seen the effects of it on targets and its not pretty, either steel jacket or steel core. A magnet will detect both but not tell you which it is.

Also, ranges that ban steel projectiles are doing so for two reasons; one, it damages targets and target frames. two, it can cause fires.

Granted, the chances of fire starting from use of steel projectiles is pretty remote, but that is their reasoning. Also in this part of the country its drier than a popcorn fart many months out of the year (as it is right now), so any spark has a much greater potential than in humid climates.

Rest assured, you will get a magnet touched to every rifle mag of ammo you bring to the starting positions at RM3G. If its discovered you have steel projectiles at that time, you will be sent back to your bag to reload your mags with non-magnetic, no harm no foul. But if its found later that you are trying to be foxy and use it anyway...that is a foul and the responsibilities are yours. :angry:

Funny that matches are expected to provide the state of the art and spare no expense in the way of targets, but those targets can be damaged beyond repair by some of the cheapest ammo...or even have the match get thrown off the range by allowing competitors to break range rules...

Moral of the story; magnet your ammo. If it sticks to the projectile, leave it in the practice box and get some good match ammo for matches...

jj

I've pretty much shoot XM193 exclusively and never have trouble shooting distance or in the wind with them, you just got to know your holds. But they chrono at 3400fps, so there a bit spicy.

Wasn't there someone who got DQ at SMM3G this year for having Steel Jacketed ammo though?

Granted, the chances of fire starting from use of steel projectiles is pretty remote

Live a little closer to Ft. Carson and you'll get to see its not just pretty remote :roflol:

Edited by DocMedic

I will check on the black hills thanks, was that remanufactured or new?

Sorry about that, it is remanufactured.

No problem, thank you for the link to Outdoor outfitters, they are out of the 69gr, I might try the 75, same price and free shipping.

Before you pay the outragous price for the remanufactured BH 75gr, try a few boxes of new PPU 75gr BTHP match ammo. It shoots the same for me in 1/7 twist bbls that the BH does for almost half the cost. Wideners has it for $425.00/1000 and in stock (vs. $720.00/1000 for BH).

If you shoot a lot, get into reloading. It can save you a lot, especially if you re-use or search around and find free brass (its there, you just gotta be resourceful). For 55 gr reloads I save about $75.00 to $100.00 per 1000, for 75gr its about $200.00 to $250.00 savings.

Also in this part of the country its drier than a popcorn fart many months out of the year

Point of order: Popcorn farts are indeed steam, thats what makes the popcorn explode so popcorn farts should be pretty moist. Eww. I'm never eating popcorn again.

I will check on the black hills thanks, was that remanufactured or new?

Sorry about that, it is remanufactured.

No problem, thank you for the link to Outdoor outfitters, they are out of the 69gr, I might try the 75, same price and free shipping.

Before you pay the outragous price for the remanufactured BH 75gr, try a few boxes of new PPU 75gr BTHP match ammo. It shoots the same for me in 1/7 twist bbls that the BH does for almost half the cost. Wideners has it for $425.00/1000 and in stock (vs. $720.00/1000 for BH).

If you shoot a lot, get into reloading. It can save you a lot, especially if you re-use or search around and find free brass (its there, you just gotta be resourceful). For 55 gr reloads I save about $75.00 to $100.00 per 1000, for 75gr its about $200.00 to $250.00 savings.

Thank you for the input. Indeed I have found the PPU for under $9/20. But was not sure how well it performed in 1/7 and 1/8 twist, nor how good it was.

Shoot the wolf all the time around here for the local stuff which is paper only like 75yards max(sometimes half scale targets used). Never had a problem with it, feeds and goes bang in the gun all time. Usually shot out of a short barrel and the scores arnt hurt by it.