Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ammo, what and where...

fastarget

I have just started reloading. I have been using Black Hills 69 grain sierra MK for the long range stages and anything I can find under $300/1000 for the hoser stuff. The best places I have found for ammo are www.sgammo.com or www.ammunitiontogo.com.

Edited by jtischauser

AR15.com has a long running forum in their ammunition section of all the latest deals. Cabela's with free shipping and some sort of rebate from a gift card was putting 1000 rounds of Federal American Eagle 55 gr. at under $240 was the most recent INCREDIBLE deal.

You may want to check that forum's link before making any purchases as there are some serious ammo users/hoarders on AR15.com.

Edited by fastmtnbiker33w

AR15.com has a long running forum in their ammunition section of all the latest deals. Cabela's with free shipping and some sort of rebate from a gift card was putting 1000 rounds of Federal American Eagle 55 gr. at under $240 was the most recent INCREDIBLE deal.

You may want to check that forum's link before making any purchases as there are some serious ammo users/hoarders on AR15.com.

Could not hurt to have our own thread here for ammo deals. I dont think that cabela deal is still going on, because it would be time to stock up.

Thanks I will check them out, are you loading only 69 now or cheap for up-close and nice stuff for far?

Right now I am only loading 55gr Montana Gold. I plan to use the reloads for easy stuff. I will continue using the Black Hills ammo until I can work up a load to work with my Z6i BRT reticle. I am going to try some 55gr Hornady or Nosler Balistic tips for the accurate loads.

been shooting XM193 recently. Working on my own loads for longer range stages, but Im not sure if I want to use those on hoser stages to keep things simple or try to have mags loaded or different circumstances (hoser vs long range).

been shooting XM193 recently. Working on my own loads for longer range stages, but Im not sure if I want to use those on hoser stages to keep things simple or try to have mags loaded or different circumstances (hoser vs long range).

I have thought about that as well. It makes sense to just use one trusted load, zero with your reticle and know the drops.....but it is cheaper to load the light bullets.

The price of ammo has come down recently. Natchez Shooting Supply http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?category=3 has Federal Eagle, PMC and Remington UMC for $5.99 a box. If you're willing to spring for 2K rounds, they have the Federal at $289.00/1K. I'm a bit leery of the Russian stuff, but if you're looking for cheap, that's the easiest way.

Lots of people shoot steel cased Russian ammo, but I am not interested. a good quality brass cased ammo, reasonably priced so I can shoot alot :) .

I use a combo of bulk M193 and Blackhills 77gr. I've never had a problem keeping up with two different loads, but I don't fret if I have to dump 10 rounds of the nice ammo into paper to get to the long-range targets.

I bought my last batch of the Blackhills from OutdoorOutfitters.com for $35 per 50 rounds shipped with no tax to Texas. Arrived in 2 days with no issues.

Another thing to be leary about regarding the Russian ammo, Wolf military classic has steel core bullets. Most MD's don't appreciate you shooting their steel targets with it for some odd reason...

I will check on the black hills thanks, was that remanufactured or new?

Sorry about that, it is remanufactured.

No problem, thank you for the link to Outdoor outfitters, they are out of the 69gr, I might try the 75, same price and free shipping.

Another thing to be leary about regarding the Russian ammo, Wolf military classic has steel core bullets. Most MD's don't appreciate you shooting their steel targets with it for some odd reason...

No, no it isn't. Unless explicitly listed as steel core ammo (Which I don't think Wolf actually has right now) it is lead cored with SOFT steel jacket. It is soft enough you can cut with your pocket knife, and it does not damage steel targets. The worst you can say about it is that in desert conditions it MIGHT spark more then standard jackets and it may be an issue if you are afraid of setting the brush on fire.

In fact, I think most steel core .223 ammo ends up being US surplus or nato made 62gr/M855, and that stuff you need to be worried about. Wolf is not going to bother to make something that harder to make when they are trying to play the lowest price game.

There are good reason to not shoot wolf, its less accurate (but not as much as people will have you think), dirtier, slower, has poor terminal ballistics, etc. Personally I have no issues using it for practice or even matches. It doesn't break steal.

Edited by Vlad

Vlad, you are correct about the Wolf. I personally do not use it, but it will not harm AR400 or 500 steel. M855(green tip) is what we're trying to avoid, as well as shooters who think it doesn't really matter. I use XM193, but recently have found that my rifles prefer PMC. If the range will exceed 300 yds, I will generally shoot the match Heavy Tac because I can.

Edited by Garandad

I've used some PMC, but I found that it chrono's slower then current production Wolf in two different 16" barrels. In my case Wolf makes PF, PMC doesn't. I've also had PMC primers not light up with spring setups that had no issue lighting up Wolf. It is however more accurate.

Shooter at a match recently had PMC Bronze 223 not ignite. He got it from a guy who also had trouble with it ("Woohoo! Free ammo!" Oops ). What looked like a problem with one gun is probably a problem with recent ammo. I have shot 1000's of PMC Bronze, but I am just finishing an old hoard, and I probably will not buy more until I see someone else take the plunge. Some isolated posts on ar15.com agree.

Right now for 223, I am using Silver Bear for up close (<100 yds) and Prvi Partisan 75gr for far, although I did break out a stash of Black Hills 68gr blue box (reman) and that groups better than the PPU. POI to 100 yds are not that different. Looking at dusting off the 223 dies to make "good" ammo, but it is not worth my time to reload the hoser ammo for what I can get Silver Bear, or even XM193. I hate hosing with expensive ammo at paper 5 yds away.

As was said, some matches do not care that the Silver Bear is steel jacket, not steel core, and ban it and anything that attracts a magnet.

Lee

Steel jacketed (and steel cored) 223 or 308 WILL damage steel targets, I have seen it with my own eyes. It will either leave deep pock marks, or blow right through the 3/8 AR500 steel that is used by the major target manufacturers, even as far away at 300+ yards.

Steel jacket bullets are usually not the best accuracy.

Steel jacket bullets mostly are manufactured by non USA manufacturers.

Using steel jacketed bullets will get you DQ'd in most major matches; case in point, I know at least 2 of the DQs at a very recent major match were because the shooters were using steel projectiles. It is banned at most RANGES.

(some/most of the majors will check your rifle ammo with a magnet on all rifle stages...this one didn't)

So, what I see is very limited use for steel rifle projectiles. maybe on paper up close at a local match at a range that doesn't care if you use steel, or on your OWN steel targets, otherwise its pretty useless...Yea, its cheap. you get what you pay for...

You can get pretty cheap FMJ bullets made in USA by several bullet manufacturers...without steel.

jj

JJ, seriously, are you sure they where jackets and not cores? Because I can haul out the some steel plate I've shot 1000 or more rounds at and take a picture. I can also say that I've shot it at matches with no damage to steel and no one DQ'ing me. I can cut a Wolf steel jacket bullet with my leatherman, I find it hard to think that damages AR500, specially when all evidence points to the contrary. On the other hand plain copper jacket 308 will damage some targets at 100yards and any .223 round will damage crap steel. And pretty much any .223 will start marking steel at 50yards or so.

M855 surplus that you can buy every where for cheap right now WILL however screw up steel in no time flat, and I would be a truly sad thing if a unaware match director DQ's someone shooting Wolf and makes them pay for a target someone else with American made brass cased ammo damage because of a misconception.

Please show me those pretty cheap FMJ bullets made in the USA, specially as loaded ammo. I'd love to see it.