Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vid from a local club match...

slippp

So for some god forsaken reason, I decided to switch my OEM 14lb recoil spring to a 10lb recoil spring, which caused my gun to jam probably close to a million times during the match. My gun wouldn't even cycle the round into battery during the barney round at some points. It was atrocious.

Oh well. :( At least I hit all my reloads for the most part because I drilled them hard for 3 days before the match.

Rule of thumb, never mess with your gun the night before. :o Also, my gun was not sighted in because I switched from the combat sight back to the oem sight....so I messed up two stages because of that. lol.

Oh and btw, this is my first edited video so I'm sure it sucks...and in the first person view I don't know why but it lagged after I hit the second steel....I don't know how to fix it. I also had to sync the audio to the video by extracting the audio from the video file and creating a whole new track while muting the original video sound because the video was kind of laggy until I fixed it. It was terrible. There has to be a better way to do this!

Any recommendations?

Here's the video.

When you moved up to the first "back" wall, you stopped half way up to engage the left target (around 1:30-1:36). Why would you do that? You should have just started your reload and charged the wall and blaze that target when you got there, you should have had plenty of ammo.

First of all - What camera and video editing software are you using? Flip cameras, Contour HD, and Pinnacle Studio 14 is the equipment that I use.

Secondly - When you move, move like your pants are on fire. You are running very slowly and carefully. Shoot on the move. The second side of the course especially. You should have never slowed down running 3/4 sprint up to the front, shooting as you go. with the targets as close as they are, you need to be hosing.

When you do a walk through, pay attention to where your feet need to be for each shot. Exactly where they need to be. (3" left of that stake, or on that big rock) When you are running the course, move as fast as your legs will safely take you to those points. Extend the gun as you are setting up at those locations, and as soon as you fire your last shot, explode to the next spot that you had picked out.

Get your plan right in your head, then run the entire course three or four times seeing exactly what you will see when running it for real, only do it in your head. Then when you get up there, you have already done it correctly a number of times and you aren't having to figure anything out when you get there.

I don't really care all that much about the video, but that COF was full of problems. Unless I am missing something,

There was nothing to stop a shooter from getting WAY TOO CLOSE to the steel, no fault line with the requisite 8 yard distance. The retreat portion, at least when you were shooting the RO had ZERO control beyond a loud yell. He was easily 30 feet away. had he run up with you, he would have had to really beat feet to stay ahead of you as you retreated. Back-up stages can be great fun, but they are also hell on safety and on the RO staff especially if the shooter is fleet of foot!

Just my thoughts.

When you moved up to the first "back" wall, you stopped half way up to engage the left target (around 1:30-1:36). Why would you do that? You should have just started your reload and charged the wall and blaze that target when you got there, you should have had plenty of ammo.

Yeah. I wasn't thinking about it that way though. That's a good point. Thanks.

First of all - What camera and video editing software are you using? Flip cameras, Contour HD, and Pinnacle Studio 14 is the equipment that I use.

Secondly - When you move, move like your pants are on fire. You are running very slowly and carefully. Shoot on the move. The second side of the course especially. You should have never slowed down running 3/4 sprint up to the front, shooting as you go. with the targets as close as they are, you need to be hosing.

Get your plan right in your head, then run the entire course three or four times seeing exactly what you will see when running it for real, only do it in your head. Then when you get up there, you have already done it correctly a number of times and you aren't having to figure anything out when you get there.

I use flip cameras too. That countour HD looks insane. What's your setup with it? Is it light enough to just mount on your shooting glasses?

This was like my fourth match, so I'm still trying to absorb everything. I didn't wanna run full speed because I'm not yet comfortable running fast on a course. This is just something I have to work into gradually.

And once I get up in the box and wait for the buzzer, I try to remember everything, but since I'm still new, sometimes I forget a thing or two :P

There was nothing to stop a shooter from getting WAY TOO CLOSE to the steel, no fault line with the requisite 8 yard distance. The retreat portion, at least when you were shooting the RO had ZERO control beyond a loud yell. He was easily 30 feet away. had he run up with you, he would have had to really beat feet to stay ahead of you as you retreated. Back-up stages can be great fun, but they are also hell on safety and on the RO staff especially if the shooter is fleet of foot!

Looked like there was a fault line painted on the ground for the steel. (just one view)

Coach is correct. There was an orange line spray-painted on the ground. It's kind of hard to notice in video, but it was very apparent in person. Check 1:39. You can pretty much see it there.

So I watched it again, and counted rounds more carefully so I have more advice.

First, shoot slow, do everything else fast. That stage has lots of movement, so run like hell when you aren't shooting things.

Second, here is how I would have broken down that stage, assuming 8rd mags.

At the start engage the two center targets. RELOAD as you move to the left. Engage the first left target, then the two paper through the port, and might as well shoot the steel through the port. It look exposed and you have to slow/stop for the target in the port anyway. From what I can tell from the video, taking the steel from the port is no harder or easier then from outside the port, so why make another stop. Thats 8 rounds (with one in the pipe still left over if you need a make up shot). RELOAD as you move to the back left wall. Shoot the 3 back left targets, RELOAD and then run like hell around the corner. Shoot the 3 right targets on a slow walk, using small but quick baby steps, shoot the right steel, RELOAD as you move into final right side position.

I'm no pro but I shoot single stack and here's a few things I noticed.

1st... why are you looking at your hand at the start??? They aren't going anywhere other than where you move them and you aren't shooting the table... Look at the target, and bring the up into your line of sight. I found myself to get my first shots off faster by looking at the target.

2nd... You COF break down on the left side... You should have shot the middle two targets, then the one to the right of the steel, then the one to the left of the wall... all before you made the turn down range. Then, reload, shoot through port, shoot steel, move up and shoot the two targets around the wall.

The the other side. Steel should have been shot after the first (3) targets.. that way you wouldn't have to stop at that line because you would have been behind it while moving up towards it. After steel is complete, reload on the move, turn and shoot last target on the right of the stage, and then turn and finish the rest of the shots.

The above is of course if you didn't have jams.

Also... you seem like you are speed walking/skipping instead of planning your strides out. As you do the walk through... take not of where you feet are... always try to end movements a single step, not a studder step, that always cost you more time since you aren't balanced well.

But #1 thing, get your gun fixed... and 2nd... if you are carrying that many mags, do not hesitate to reload every time you move when you aren't shooting, if you had done that, you wouldn't have any standing reloads. Sometimes I found that shooting 4, reload, 8, reload, 4 reload, will actually get you moving faster than 8, reload, 8... Its hard to explain over a post.

MIke.

Edited by mikeg1005

At the start engage the two center targets. RELOAD as you move to the left. Engage the first left target, then the two paper through the port, and might as well shoot the steel through the port. It look exposed and you have to slow/stop for the target in the port anyway. From what I can tell from the video, taking the steel from the port is no harder or easier then from outside the port, so why make another stop. Thats 8 rounds (with one in the pipe still left over if you need a make up shot). RELOAD as you move to the back left wall. Shoot the 3 back left targets, RELOAD and then run like hell around the corner. Shoot the 3 right targets on a slow walk, using small but quick baby steps, shoot the right steel, RELOAD as you move into final right side position.

This man read my mind.

MIke.

So I watched it again, and counted rounds more carefully so I have more advice.

First, shoot slow, do everything else fast. That stage has lots of movement, so run like hell when you aren't shooting things.

Second, here is how I would have broken down that stage, assuming 8rd mags.

Thanks! I'm still learning how to shoot slow :P so as a result, I'm shooting slower! LOL.

I have 9RD magazines, but I it is to my understanding that I'm only allowed to load 8.

I'm no pro but I shoot single stack and here's a few things I noticed.

1st... why are you looking at your hand at the start??? They aren't going anywhere other than where you move them and you aren't shooting the table... Look at the target, and bring the up into your line of sight. I found myself to get my first shots off faster by looking at the target.

2nd... You COF break down on the left side... You should have shot the middle two targets, then the one to the right of the steel, then the one to the left of the wall... all before you made the turn down range. Then, reload, shoot through port, shoot steel, move up and shoot the two targets around the wall.

The the other side. Steel should have been shot after the first (3) targets.. that way you wouldn't have to stop at that line because you would have been behind it while moving up towards it. After steel is complete, reload on the move, turn and shoot last target on the right of the stage, and then turn and finish the rest of the shots.

The above is of course if you didn't have jams.

Also... you seem like you are speed walking/skipping instead of planning your strides out. As you do the walk through... take not of where you feet are... always try to end movements a single step, not a studder step, that always cost you more time since you aren't balanced well.

But #1 thing, get your gun fixed... and 2nd... if you are carrying that many mags, do not hesitate to reload every time you move when you aren't shooting, if you had done that, you wouldn't have any standing reloads. Sometimes I found that shooting 4, reload, 8, reload, 4 reload, will actually get you moving faster than 8, reload, 8... Its hard to explain over a post.

MIke.

- Good advice. I've never thought of that. I will do this next time.

- What is COF?

- Good advice in regards to the movement.

- I think I got my gun fixed :P I ordered a new spring from ISMI, but have the OEM spring on hand, and will definitely bring it to the match next time just in case. I will also be going to the range to test the gun out to make sure everything works. I also relieved my belt of 2 mag holders, and will now only carry 7 mags. I think the last 2 mags was unnecessary weight and was one reason why I didn't want to run.

I don't really care all that much about the video, but that COF was full of problems. Unless I am missing something,

Just my thoughts.

Jim,

I was the Match Director and stage designer for that match. We had orange fault lines painted on the ground at the 8 yard mark. I specifically talked about that stage to all the shooters at the shooters meeting before the match. EVERYONE was well aware of the consequences of engaging the steel in front of those lines. We had zero problems with it during the match. I agree that retreat stages come with their own set of problems, but I like to challenge the shooters with things that they might not have tried before. All shooters were made aware of the possible problems with a stage like that, and we took extra time to make sure everybody knew what was expected of them as far as muzzle direction, 180 etc.. I specifically told the Ro's to give the shooters some space when they were up on the front portion of the stage. We use traveling RO's for our match so at some point you might not have the most experienced guy running the timer. It made more sense to leave the RO back aways to avoid any problems that you would have with faster guys etc.. Once again we had zero problems with it during the match.

Tom

Just my thoughts.

Jim,

I was the Match Director and stage designer for that match. We had orange fault lines painted on the ground at the 8 yard mark. I specifically talked about that stage to all the shooters at the shooters meeting before the match. EVERYONE was well aware of the consequences of engaging the steel in front of those lines. We had zero problems with it during the match. I agree that retreat stages come with their own set of problems, but I like to challenge the shooters with things that they might not have tried before. All shooters were made aware of the possible problems with a stage like that, and we took extra time to make sure everybody knew what was expected of them as far as muzzle direction, 180 etc.. I specifically told the Ro's to give the shooters some space when they were up on the front portion of the stage. We use traveling RO's for our match so at some point you might not have the most experienced guy running the timer. It made more sense to leave the RO back aways to avoid any problems that you would have with faster guys etc.. Once again we had zero problems with it during the match.

Tom

A fault line must be at least 26 feet from the steel not 24 feet (or 8 yards) 2.1.3

A physical barrier can be as close as 24 feet. also 2.1.3

A painted line is not a fault line. A fault line provides both a physical and visual reference. 2.2.1.1

Having said that, it's a neat looking stage and I'm glad it ran without any problems.

Questions:

What if a competitor ran past the 24 foot fault line and then shot at the poppers inside 23 feet?

He's DQ'd right?

What if a competitor runs past the fault lines and he's all the way up there and has shot everything else and now he's about to shoot the poppers?

Does the RO (who is in just as much danger of injury from splatter etc as the shooter) yell stop before the competitor shoots (in the interest of safety)?

If the RO stops him, a reshoot is required right?

Or does the RO let him shoot them, safety be damned?

What if a gamer is having a crappy run and goes all the way up there and aims at those poppers to lure the RO into stopping him, so he can have a reshoot?

It can get complicated huh? Better to build stages where the popper cant be engaged at unsafe distances. (I know that's not always possible given the size of bay etc)

None of this meant to be a criticism, it's really just me exercising for my RO recertification.