Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for newer iMac

benos

I know this isn't the place to post this, but I'm looking for a newer style, flat screen iMac for BigJoni to work off this summer. (I live right under some fairly large power lines, which, in the summer, renders a CRT monitor almost impossible to use.) (And please don't tell me to move. ;) ) I'll want it to still boot from OS9, which leaves the newest machines out. So if anyone's got one laying around for sale give me a call.

be

Have you tried shielding a CRT monitor? On a 200 acre hunting plot my buddy located his trailer as close to high tension lines as he could get it, for reasons he couldn't adequately explain, and this is what we resorted to there. And though we know with reasonable certainty his mental state was pre-existing just to be safe you might consider shielding yourself. All kidding aside here are a few places I've found deals.

Pretty good selection of computers

Affordable

Pricier but with Apple warranty

Apple Store

Probably not gonna help for the computer, but invaluable to Mac users

Resale

Alan Elam

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up buy a new machine for myself and rolling Joni onto my G4 800. And - hold onto your hats - I'm now running Panther on the new 1.25 G DP machine. And man is it the shit. Although it is one crazy amount of work converting both machines and all the apps I use every day, in the end it will be so worth it. I'm looking forward to never running 9 again! And coming from me, that's crazy talk.

And the sole reason this happened is because of the guidance and support of our very own Geoff Linder, who has patiently and thoroughly guided me along the way.

Thanks Geoff!

be

OS X rocks and rocks and rocks and rocks some more. It's not an easy path, but it is a great destination. Welcome aboard Brian. Thanks for showing me some things along the way too.

Never turn-em off, wake-em up at a touch, hardly ever a lock or a quit (mostly Word & IE), and even then just restart the app and continue on. X is truly a good PC OS now that Panther is out (the earlier versions were OK but Panther is truy a big step forward), I would be running XP or maybe Linux by now if it weren't for X.

The hardware is still pricier than and not as customizable as Wintel boxes, but the OS more than makes up for it. And X on a DP machine is slicker than goose shjt compared to any other OS. Heck, the new G5 towers don't even seem to start up any more, the bootup is so fast on the DP models with the SATA drives. Excuse me while I go drool over some hardware specs.

--

Regards,