Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CMMG Midwest 3 Gun Championships

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A big thanks to CMMG for the use of the range, and to Ken, Larry, and the RO's for the job well done on a very memorable match. Also a big thanks to the ROTC crew that was there to help.

I found the challenges in this match to be most interesting. From the muddy steel targets that were difficult to see, to shooting from a moving bench, to shooting from unusual positions. The only challenge I didn't like was the long range targets on stage 6, and that was only because I could not hit them. A huge glaring weakness in my training showed on that stage and that will need to be addressed.

The only negatives I could give about this match were the dump barrels and the "anti-gaming penalty".

I am not a big fan of staging a long gun in the same barrel that I am dumping my other long gun into. I don't know what the best answer to this problem would be, possibly a divider that seperates the interior into two halves or something, or maybe two barrels, one for each weapon.

As for the unusual penalty time - Most shooters that game a stage don't do so because they are unable to hit that target, they do it because it is faster to blow past it. All it takes is a reasonable time penalty attached to each target to ensure that the targets will be engaged by all shooters. If taking the miss takes less time than it takes for a shooter to get set up and hit the target, then there will people who will game the stage.

I am hoping you guys put another one on next year, I will be there if you do.

The gaming penalties could be eliminated if all targets require hits. You shoot till you hit or until you time out and get the penality for misses.

That would have a lot of shooters shooting to time out and it would lengthen the match significantly.

The rocking chair stage may have gotten me. I neutralized the first 200 yard target and my left arm said it didn't like holding that rifle up any longer. So Ii rearranged my position and that was a really bad idea because when I went back to look through my scope it looked lime I was riding a bull. I popped off my engagement shots and called it quits at 102. With the 20 second penalty I was at 122.

In hind sight I would have had a lower overall time by engaging all 5 targets A's fast A's possible with the 70 seconds in penalties. Would that have been gaming? Maybe but my skill set didn't include shooting from a lazy boy yet so if I would have known my limitations I could have scored better.

I didn't understand why the squares on stage 7 didn't get painted. There were other stages where we were painting steel that was caked in fresh mud after each shooter. At the least paint them for each squad.

Otherwise it was a great match. The swing and rifle ports were challenging yet fun to shoot because they don't pop up at other matches. After getting soaked on Friday and seeing the forecast of more rain for Saturday and Sunday my spirits were a little down, but mother nature was on our side and Saturday turned into sunscreen instead of rain gear.

The gaming penalties could be eliminated if all targets require hits. You shoot till you hit or until you time out and get the penality for misses.

Its a game, so there will always be a certain amount of gaming involved, but gaming can be kept to a minimum if stages are designed with that in mind. If targets are too hard to hit for the majority of people, make it easier or make them bonus targets.

You don't force shooters to hit a target with PENALTIES, you do it by making the target hitable for everyone. I thought a 10" target at 380/480 was a bit over the top, thats a roughly 2.5 moa target at 380 and almost a 2 moa target at 480, thats a very tough shot for almost everyone.

Other than that the match was loads of fun, thank you to everyone that worked it, even the MD/RM that I saw mostly standing around joking or riding a four wheeler trying to get out of doing work :roflol: You guys did a great job on dealing with the conditions and adapting to what was thrown at you, most of my issues have already been mentioned here so I won't say them again, but I think I should have been given more style/technique points for my slip and fall in the mud on saturday, no one even held up score cards for it???????????

My prize has already been shipped, thanks guys for prompt handling of all things associated with the match, and I look forward to seeing you again next year.

Trapr

When everyone goes through their gear please be on the lookout for a handgun magazine. I lost a Tanfoglio .38 super hi-cap magazine, chrome with a black extended basepad.

I think I lost it around stage #8, when I checked the area I didn't find it so I assumed it was hidden in my shooting bag somewhere. Checking my gear last night showed me that it was gone.

If located please PM me.

I still believe that making hits on all the targets manditory is the way to go. If that lengths the match then make the times shorter. The tough targets separate the great shooters from the good shooters. The gamers may want to stop shooting before hitting all the targets, but the people who want to develope there skills will shoot till the clock stops them. The game should be about the shooting more than about the winning.

The game should be about the shooting more than about the winning.

That would make it practice, not a game.

Games are all about winning- with dignity and respect for all the other participants, of course.

Games are all about winning- with dignity and respect for all the other participants, of course.

Winning! You sound like a respectful Charlie Sheen. J/K lol!

I still believe that making hits on all the targets manditory is the way to go. If that lengths the match then make the times shorter. The tough targets separate the great shooters from the good shooters. The gamers may want to stop shooting before hitting all the targets, but the people who want to develope there skills will shoot till the clock stops them. The game should be about the shooting more than about the winning.

Pretty much any target will separate the great shooters from the good shooters, the great shooters will just hit it faster. Having targets that are mandatory and too hard will just magnify other elements, like position of the sun/shade/wind etc. It will also discourage newer shooters that get stuck halfway through a stage and can't get passed a hard target.

"Gaming" can be minimized by sound stage design, not by imposing arbitrary penalties and "must-do's".

It's a match and a game, its about finding out who can solve and shoot the stages the fastest. If it was all about the shooting and not about the winning, we could as well just have a par time on all stages and then do a raffle for the prize table.

This was a great match! Thanks to Ken, Larry and all the RO's. Everything went smooth and the RO's were fair and hard-working. Nice shooting with you Trapr, Jeff, and Kurt. Eric you helped me a lot with that 45 degree canted shooting, Thanks!

Most everything has been covered already, but I'll say again that the 485 should have been bigger, at least 4 moa. I hope next year that we get to shoot AT the swing and not ON it!

Kurt, thanks again for the ammo too. That Federal stuff is staying at the practice range.

What ever happened to the barricade with the 45 degree slots that someone bought for $50?

Did he get to use the rest of his ammo on it, or ,is it just not going to be used again?

I actualy kinda liked it, because it was different.

I agree with Bryan and in this game you have to use your skills as well as your brain. Gaming stages is about using your brain. Being an honorable competitor is not defined as not taking advantage of opportunities to win, and winning is an all-Americian tradition.

I gotta say I'm thankful for super helpful RO's and squad mates and the new rule of grounding SAFE weapons!!! Stages are flowing fast. Now if we could OU shoot the match in June or July when it's not raining and muddy.

it was a good time shooting with you guys in squad 6..! Being my first major match, I learned alot watching and listening to your crew.

I gotta say I'm thankful for super helpful RO's and squad mates and the new rule of grounding SAFE weapons!!! Stages are flowing fast. Now if we could OU shoot the match in June or July when it's not raining and muddy.

it was a good time shooting with you guys in squad 6..! Being my first major match, I learned alot watching and listening to your crew.

Right back at you brother!

Edited by jtischauser

What ever happened to the barricade with the 45 degree slots that someone bought for $50?

Did he get to use the rest of his ammo on it, or ,is it just not going to be used again?

I actualy kinda liked it, because it was different.

My buddy bought it. We were going to take it back to our range, but it was too long. Ken is saving it for me. Next time Im up there, Ill cut it up for easy transport. It may still end up getting burned though!!!!

This is what stage 7 looked like in the rain. It was like snipe hunting.

I don't know why I didn't realize that you were assaulter, but...

You had a pretty good match if I remember correctly! Nice run too!

I think I have cornered the market on the worst Stage 7 run posted yet. :lol: