Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What have you done to your Mossberg 500 for multi-gun?

Post pics, or just a brief list of things you have done to your Mossberg 500 for use in Multi-gun.

I replaced it.

Ok I'm going to be serious now. I've shot my 500 for a few years in 3gun stuff, but I'm not a hardcore shooter. What I've done to it is replaced the bead sight with a large fiber bead, extended the stock because it was too short for my taste, attached a side saddle because I can never have to much ammo the way I shoot. All those things are pretty easy.

The only "real" modification I've done to it was taking a dremel to the loading gate area and rounding off the edges. I find that the Mossberg edges are very sharp and I've cut my fingers on them a few times before I said "screw this, I can solve this in 5 min with power tools".

But also, I replaced it. A "used" 11-87 from a local gun store that someone got for hunting and never used (factory grease still in it), a new barrel, easy loader, tube, fiber sights, and I have less then $700 in it and I like it a lot better. It allows me, who normally dislikes shotguns, to not go "!Groan!, another shotgun stage in this 3gun match I wish it was 2gun" and instead now shrug it as "Meh, its nor rifle, but it burns powder so its ok".

"things you have done to your Mossberg 500 for use in Multi-gun."

As above, but I turned mine into a 930 SPX ;)

In the mean time, bring out your 500 shoot it few times, you'll figure out on your own what you may want to do to it make it 3-gun friendly.

Edited by sfinney

I plan on shooting it for a while. Although this time I think I am taking my red dot off, and shooting with the bead front only. I am also going to open up the magazine opening for faster loading. I already stippled the firearm a bit. The only thing I really wish is that this was an 8-9 shot, instead of only 6.

I shot a 590 for 6 months in 3 gun before I upgraded to a semi auto. I think it is a good place to start, especially transitioning from birdshot to slugs in a stage.

While a great general purpose or home defense shotgun, the 500 puts you at a disadvantage in capacity. I would keep it for that use and get a semi auto if you plan on frequently shooting 3 gun. If not, their is really not much you can do besides what you have already mentioned.

I plan on shooting it for a while. Although this time I think I am taking my red dot off, and shooting with the bead front only. I am also going to open up the magazine opening for faster loading. I already stippled the firearm a bit. The only thing I really wish is that this was an 8-9 shot, instead of only 6.

The capacity is the reason I moved the Mossy to a back up position. Never had a problem with it that was not shooter related.

Stages seem to set up for 8+1 (at least around here).

Realized I never said what I did to it for 3 gun...

Side saddle for reloading (was on the gun when I bought it years ago, but it helps)

That's it.

Except for the match where I put a red dot on top of it. Very eady to shoot, but bumping up to open b/c of it just was not worth it. :roflol:

swapped out trigger assemblies with a Maverick 88 putting the safety where I could reach it..it just drops right in and at the front of the trigger guard its pretty quick..

after that I put a Mesa Tactical Adapter on it with A4 stocks & grips, side saddles etc.

the tang safety still works if I ever switch back to a normal stock just had to swap over a transfer bar and an over travel adj. screw

now it is my Turkey hunting shotgun.added a red dot,.I took the 4 round Mesa off since the pic was deciding if I wanted an extra 4 or 6 and where when the pic was taken.. the 18" vented hand guard barrel for goblins was replaced with the 28" bird barrel and a ported choke for the gobblers

Copyofm500action.jpg

if only it was the 8 shot model,.. but then again Brownells sells an upgrade kit.. but cost might slow that down... since I am looking at a 930 ;)

John

Edited by Amerflyer48

I plan to shoot it as it is now for a while. I doubt I will get serious about 3 gun in the near future. I did open up the magazine well a bit to expedite loading and have ordered a few things to help me have more rounds on the gun.

I do plan to replace the Blackhawk compensating stock, as I think it is enducing more issues than it is fixing. I am not sure if a SpeedFeed IV will solve them or not, but I am looking at one used to try out. If that doesn't solve my issues, I will be going back to the original telescoping ATI stock.