Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine Extension in IDPA

From the rule book: "The slide releases and magazine releases that are standard on the Glock 34 and 35 models are available as a factory option on all Glocks available in the USA. Because of this, that type of slide release and magazine release are legal on all Glocks for SSP"

so, you are legal to do that!

They can only be .2" from the frame. Keeps me from using my XDm for ESP and USPSA Limited without changing back to the factory release for ESP.

It is measured from the side of the gun, not where it comes out, so you would have to have a huge release to stick .2" past the side of the grip on your XDm.

Luckily I had a bunch of factory parts in a plastic bag in my range bag. Pretty easy to pop one out and the other in. Guess sometimes it pays to be a pack rat. That gun has been retired to USPSA Limited only and replace with a Spartan 9mm for ESP. The Ed Brown extended mag release on that one is way under the legal limit regardless of where it's measured from.

Mine measures .272" from the frame to the top of the release. I was told to change it back to the factory at a regional IDPA match.

The rules says:

Extended magazine release (button may not be oversize in

diameter or protrude more than .2” out from the frame).

The rules does not say "out OF the frame" it says out FROM.

On the XDM the grip is part of the frame and the widest part of it, not where the release comes out of the frame. If they measured it FROM the frame, that would be the widest part of polymer frame. The XD/XDM +.1 release has been used in ESP at the Nats for the last 5 years. Look from the rear of the gun at the release and if it sticks out .2" FROM the frame then it is not complaint.

On a 1911 the frame width is where it comes out of the frame, so the SO might have been using that as his understanding of the rules, not the actual rule, which says FROM.

Luckily I had a bunch of factory parts in a plastic bag in my range bag. Pretty easy to pop one out and the other in. Guess sometimes it pays to be a pack rat. That gun has been retired to USPSA Limited only and replace with a Spartan 9mm for ESP. The Ed Brown extended mag release on that one is way under the legal limit regardless of where it's measured from.

Don't you love it when a plan comes together.

@ Loves2shoot; good explanation. I tend not to argue with SO's and RO's figuring I will probably lose. Measuring the release from the grip (frame) it's only .052" so guess technically I would have been good.

That is why it is good to have a rule book and know it ;) I've called HQ more than a few times to make sure that I understand the ones I need to. They are always very helpful.

The training for SO's seems to vary a bit. I've had a SO tell me that my mag pouches weren't legal because he didn't understand the rules and hadn't seen my mag pouch before (standard Safariland) and he wanted to DQ me from the match, so sometimes it is worth having the conversation if you know the rules.

That is why it is good to have a rule book and know it ;) I've called HQ more than a few times to make sure that I understand the ones I need to. They are always very helpful.

The training for SO's seems to vary a bit. I've had a SO tell me that my mag pouches weren't legal because he didn't understand the rules and hadn't seen my mag pouch before (standard Safariland) and he wanted to DQ me from the match, so sometimes it is worth having the conversation if you know the rules.

Very true. If you know you're in the right, it's good to state your case. Usually somebody else will chime in and go check the rulebook for both parties. Seems to happen every few matches at my club.

A few notes on the Glock 17 specifically under this rule.

-You may use the G34/35 mag release which is longer.

-You may use the G34/35 slide lock lever which has a triangular protuberance on it to aid in engaging it.

-f.y.i. the "extended mag release" that is so "special" to the G34/35 is actually the stock release from the large frame G21/20/30. In case you have any trouble ordering one at a shop.

-If you haven't had the Glock apart before and your adding these parts there are a few steps involved which I will post in detail at your request.

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by JerryShoots

• 2 weeks later...

If your hands are not small, I would stay with the standard slide lock lever, not the extended. Most of the guys I know that shoot G34's take that thing off after about the first or second match.

WG

+1 I tend to engage the slide stop causing the slide to lock back at the worst times... I take off the extended and replace it with the flat one whenever I get a new gun