Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mini 14 GB LEO only or baloney?

amaziah

I have heard that the mini 14 GB models made by Ruger were only sold to LEO officers and departments. Is this true? Does Ruger limit some civilian legal firearms to Gov't and LEO sales only? Then how did I buy a mini 14 GB Stainless factory folder then? Curious. Is my rifle a rarity or 1 of millions? Where do you guys go to online to find accurate gun values? How much would you say it's worth it is unfired? Thx

Edited by amaziah

The Mini-14 GB was LE and Gov't sales only. Heck used to be Ruger wouldn't even sell the hi-cap mags. However just like LE Only ammo like Federal Hydrashok +P+, it's a decision by the manufacturer to restrict the sale. What those Gov't and LE folks do with it after they get it is up to them. That was a little skewed during the 94-04 dark ages but Ruger had been doing that long before the AWB. I'm happy to say Ruger is now selling their full line to everyone again (Colt said they were also getting back into the civilian market) Unless it's full auto there really isn't anything that is LE/Gov't only anymore.

I have heard that the mini 14 GB models made by Ruger were only sold to LEO officers and departments.

i think you are referring to the AC556, which was a class 3 (select fire) version of the mini-14. my understanding is that ruger sold this model only to law enforcement agencies, even though they could have (prior to 1986) sold them to private citizens if they so chose.

The GB models are easy to find now on the used market. Ruger may not have sold them to non LE, but when all the LE departments decided to replace the GBs, they traded them on new rifles to dealers, and the dealers had no issues with selling to the general public. I think Bud's here in KY has them for under $500 now.

I heard that the GB model and the AC223 were LEO from Ruger. Including 30 round mags, folding stock and flash hider while Bill Ruger was alive.

You heard right. Those are all evil features and only the gubmint needs them to keep you down. Ruger made a tactical decision in a political climate that was extremely hostile towards black guns the looked icky. They've come around and are now selling dang near anything, including some really cool threaded end .22 pistols for putting a can on, to the general public.