Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What hand do the top 16 USPSA-SG use to reload?

Just wondering... wanted to know what percentage of the top 16 used weak or strong hand reloads. Can you guys help me out and help me fill in the blanks?

2002 Limited/Standard Shotgun

Competitor/Loading Hand/Gun

Cooley, Bennie.........Strong...Browning

Neal, Kelly................Strong...Remington

Rhodes, Eddie...........Weak...?

Butler, Taran.............Weak...Benelli

Neth, David...............Strong...?

Woods, Robert............Weak...Benelli

Dematos, Kerry..........Weak...Benelli

Flentz, John................?...?

Hendricks, Steve........Weak...Remington

Current, Rod.............?...?

Parmelee, Bill...........Weak...Benelli w/PG

Murray, John.............?...?

Harris, Mike.............?...?

Boyd, Craig..............?...?

Mowery, Gary...........?...?

Milkovich, Tim...........Strong...Benelli

40% Strong / 60% Weak

2003 Limited/Standard Shotgun

TARAN BUTLER..........Weak...Benelli

TOM CARPENTER.......?...?

BENNIE COOLEY.........Strong...Browning

TODD SALMON...........Strong...?

ROBERT WOODS........Weak...Benelli

BRUCE PIATT.............?...?

FRANK GARCIA...........?...?

KERRY DEMATOS.........Weak...Benelli

EDDIE RHODES...........Weak...?

STEVE HENDRICKS.....Weak...?

MIKE HARRIS..............?...?

WILLIAM PAOLINO........Strong...?

ERIK LUND..................?...?

MIKE SISK.................Strong...Benelli

DAVID BENZICK.........Weak...Benelli

BART BALDWIN..........?...?

40% Strong / 60% Weak

2004 Standard (Limited & Tactical) Shotgun

TARAN BUTLER/GM............Weak...Benelli

KURT MILLER/U.................Weak...Benelli

BENNIE W. COOLEY JR/M...Strong...Browning

TRAVIS TOMASIE/GM........Strong...Remington 1100 CM

KERRY DEMATOS/A...........Weak...Benelli

CHRIS PEREZ/A.................Weak (most likely)...?

DAVID NETH/M..................Strong...?

CHRIS SECHIATANO/B.......?...?

EDDIE RHODES/GM...........Weak...?

KELLY NEAL/M...................Strong...Remington?

DAVID BENZICK/M............Weak...Benelli

CHUCK MAHONEY/B...........Weak...?

BENNY HILL/M....................Strong...Benelli

VANCE SCHMID/M..............?...?

ERIK LUND /GM...................?...?

RAYMOND L. WITHAM JR/M..?...?

38% Strong / 62% Weak

David is a member here and he's a Cooley strong/twist disciple, like I saw Chris doing today. (Ammo on the gun and weak forearm, twist the gun in weak hand, load with strong hand with the opening at your face.)

Today we shot El Slugidente (at 25-30 yards, only six in the gun to start). I nailed my strong-side Choate six-stack reload, Chris looked good doing the Cooley Contortionism, but when I tried to compare times, my scoresheet didn't have one. :(

David Neth uses the strong hand method "the slide", Todd Salmon uses choate loaders but flips the gun over and loads 3 at a time strong handed....kind of a strong/weak hand load. Of the top 10 at Mesa, at least 4 of the shooters load weak hand. Taran, Me, Eric Miller, and Pat Kelly. I don't know about some of the others but I would bet at least one more does the "weak thing". Eric does the weak hand method, although it should be called strong hand ....as he is left handed, with an 1100, so all is not lost for you Kelly :D KURTM

Today we shot El Slugidente (at 25-30 yards, only six in the gun to start). I nailed my strong-side Choate six-stack reload, Chris looked good doing the Cooley Contortionism, but when I tried to compare times, my scoresheet didn't have one. :(

I think I was 16.02 compared to TMC's open gun (tac loaders) time of 16.42. All my hits were low so I scored alot of C's and D's.

I think I was 16.02 compared to TMC's open gun (tac loaders) time of 16.42. All my hits were low so I scored alot of C's and D's.

Chris is right, 16.02 compared to my 16.42 but if I remember right I only had 2 c's.

I was ROing Chris's run and he was really fast stuffing thoes 6 rounds!

Yeah but I was really fast on my first run stuffing rounds from my Choate stacks (with high-zoot divider mods). That's why I wanted to compare times, as we both shot at about the same speed. On my reshoot, I fumbled the chamber load and ran a 17.

Old habits die hard. I can see myself maybe doing the Cooley twist/roll, but I tried weak-hand loading and it was horrid.

It seems to make sense to me that the most tactical way of reloading would be the weakhand method because your weapon is oriented with muzzle toward the target (admittedly in both methods this is true) and your stronghand is on the wrist or pistolgrip with immediate access to the trigger. Also it seems to be easier for me to keep my eyes downrange (I actually think that is important) and load by feel weak handed. Just my two cents.

Guy Hawkins

The reason that Steve likes the left hand Remington is that it is much easier to do port loads when accidently shot dry or doing select slug drills as the port is right in front of your face, and you don't have to reach around under the reciever to drop a shell into the port. KURTM

I think I was 16.02 compared to TMC's open gun (tac loaders) time of 16.42.  All my hits were low so I scored alot of C's and D's

Chris is right, 16.02 compared to my 16.42 but if I remember right I only had 2 c's.

I was ROing Chris's run and he was really fast stuffing those 6 rounds! 

I ran a 19.10 because I dropped one of my two hand stuff-ins and had to throw two speed sticks in after handloading one round anyway, Sheeeshh, at least 2.5 seconds down the tube (all pun intended). Only two C's just like Todd, but Man, I blew my plan on this one when I pulled both at once from the SlideLok 2 pack and dropped one while loading the first one. I practice two from the Choates all of the time, but I never practice two from the 2 pak. You learn something everyday.

--

Regards

Guy, have you ever heard of situation in real life where the style of shotgun load made a difference?

In theory, I agree with you about the weakhand being more "tactical" but given the high disaster factor and fumbling, particularly with people who don't practice, master the technique, and stay proficient, I can't really see how it's more tactical in reality. Plus who walks around with Choate carriers on? It's easy to leave rounds on the shotgun. I suspect in the real world 1) if you've shot your shotgun dry, you're in a world of hurt and 2) simply getting rounds into the gun quickly by whatever means is what's important.

Tactically speaking the LE's I know load weak handed one at a time from a belt keeping the gun in the aim as its makes tactical sense against bad guys. Re IPSC shooting - well I am Miller trained, converted and adequate to travel ! :D

(not off course that I qualify as top 16 in the US !! :( )