Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The shakes...

Sliv2

Hey all,

So one of the lovely things I inherited from genetics is "the shakes". I cannot hold my hand/fingers perfectly steady, there is always a slight vibration to them.

While it really does not affect most of my shooting, I notice it when doing things like "Hey, try to shoot the staple on the target" where the slightest movement is costly. Have any of you dealt with this? What did you do to improve it, if anything? I was thinking perhaps strengthening my shoulders through my hands would be a good place to start. But, I really have no idea.

Thanks,

Alex

I wouldn't say I have "the shakes", but I do get shakey sometimes. I have noticed that I am the shakiest when I have caffeine or nicotine in my system or if I am hungry. I just try to avoid those things prior to (or during) a match.

Do any of those things sound familiar to you?

Edited by Erik S.

I wouldn't say I have "the shakes", but I do get shakey sometimes. I have noticed that I am the shakiest when I have caffeine or nicotine in my system or if I am hungry. I just try to avoid those things prior to (or during) a match.

Do any of those things sound familiar to you?

This is pretty much exactly what it is like. I rarely drink caffeinated beverage, and I don't smoke. Caffeine amplifies the shaking, making it extremely obvious. What you experience from a little too much caffeine is what my body is doing 24/7, more or less.

It's called "essential tremor" there is a drug called propranolol that has an indication to treat it. The drug is old, and cheap as well. Might check with your doctor about it. Could help.

I understand that in the Olympics propranalol is a banned med for shooters as it blocks the adrenaline response (stage fright) and helps "the shakes" as above. Does USPSA have a list of banned medications?

Eric

Edited by eric4069

It's called "essential tremor" there is a drug called propranolol that has an indication to treat it. The drug is old, and cheap as well. Might check with your doctor about it. Could help.

Thanks, I'll have to ask about it. I've never even bothered discussing it with my doctor, never really had a reason to until now. DOH!

Alex

I understand that in the Olympics propranalol is a banned med for shooters as it blocks the adrenaline response (stage fright) and helps "the shakes" as above. Does USPSA have a list of banned medications?

Eric

It's also useful to slow heart rate, I think that was the original reason for the Olympic ban, it was the cross country skiers that also shoot targets (don't know that sports name). Once they stop skiing, while on that drug, their heart rate slowed very quickly, and they could make those shots easier.

Drug trivia, I am a pharmacist. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

A few days ago when my daughter was performing a cello solo at a contest I was reminded of a remedy I had heard about once before. Her music coach told her to eat a banana about a half hour before her performance. It is supposed to reduce the shakes. Whether it is the potassium, the beta blockers, sugars, or what, I don't know. I took a banana to my match the next day and about 20 minutes after I ate it I shot my two best stages and felt very calm and steady for each one at the start. You might try it. I will be taking a banana to every match from now on!

I also fear I've inherited "the shakes" from my dad. Not Parkinson's or anything but he had some tremors that were definitely noticeable for a number of years before he passed. The doc told him the best thing to do for them was to have a good stiff drink. I notice them when I pick small things up like gun parts and stuff like that. I can hold my hands still, but I usually have to concentrate just a little bit sometimes, so it might just be the mass quantities of caffeine and some nicotine.

Grant I'm gonna try that banana thing. :cheers:

Edited by Shadowrider

A few days ago when my daughter was performing a cello solo at a contest I was reminded of a remedy I had heard about once before. Her music coach told her to eat a banana about a half hour before her performance. It is supposed to reduce the shakes. Whether it is the potassium, the beta blockers, sugars, or what, I don't know. I took a banana to my match the next day and about 20 minutes after I ate it I shot my two best stages and felt very calm and steady for each one at the start. You might try it. I will be taking a banana to every match from now on!

Do you think that would've helped with my Texas Star fiasco?!

• 3 months later...

I would try to treat it as an advantage if you're competing with pistol. Your statement about shooting the staple was my clue. In pistol competition you're not shooting the staples, so you can be very good. When "the staple thing" comes up, you'll have to try to shoot the staple while the pistol is moving. Maybe you'll miss badly, but it'll be fun to try ( small orbit, call the shot,but don't time the shot) anything to make the shake irrelevant. The shake would signify energy. A special advantage. Heck I'm so new and unpracticed, that a shake would be awful. But I can see if I was good, it would count for nothing. That drug might work, but I wonder if you would lose some advantage that you could get or imagine from the shake is all.

I shake and always have, but if I'm in training and do my bit, I can shoot pretty nice groups. A slight tremor isn't going to be a problem. (Believe me; I am the worrying kind, and I still don't let it bother me.)

Coffee and smoke will mess things up, so stay clear. Dry practice and focus on the fundamentals of sight pic and trigger control and you'll be fine.

Oh, and physical training will always be A Good Thing .

Siphon

Edited by Siphon Odesse

Hey all,

So one of the lovely things I inherited from genetics is "the shakes". I cannot hold my hand/fingers perfectly steady, there is always a slight vibration to them.

While it really does not affect most of my shooting, I notice it when doing things like "Hey, try to shoot the staple on the target" where the slightest movement is costly. Have any of you dealt with this? What did you do to improve it, if anything? I was thinking perhaps strengthening my shoulders through my hands would be a good place to start. But, I really have no idea.

I never had an issue with the shakes, but periodically did have some unwanted movement :blush: . However, weight training contributed to keeping my arms and hands steady for both pistol and rifle shooting B)

As already mentioned by other forum members, smoking and coffee can increase the shakes :(

• 2 months later...

Propanalol/Inderal is in a category of drugs called Beta Blockers, they are used to lower your blood pressure, heart rate, migrains, fine motor tremors and a few other things. They block specif beta receptors that decrease the effects of norepinephrine and epinephrine, dilate blood vessels and reduce the work load on your cardiac muscle. Talk to your doctor about them, they work very well. Some asthmatics have a problem with inderal and can't take it, but don't have a problem with metoprolol, atenelol, carvidelol or labetolol becasue they don't not block all of the receptors that inderal blocks

Edited by evild

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The sport you refer to is "Biathalon", involves cross country skiing combined with very accurate short, medium and semi-long distance shooting.

Eric

It's also useful to slow heart rate, I think that was the original reason for the Olympic ban, it was the cross country skiers that also shoot targets (don't know that sports name). Once they stop skiing, while on that drug, their heart rate slowed very quickly, and they could make those shots easier.

Drug trivia, I am a pharmacist. :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...