Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 gap ...... in S&W 625 ...!?!

sensei

Guys this is a silly question, especialy since i have been doing this for a long time..... why do lead bullets gain more velocity over plated given the same powder charge?? is it a barrel to bullet friction thing? Just curious. my load makes major with lead and minor by a good bit with plated. i just tried clays in my 45, was shooting solo 1000, and i think i like clays a little more, seems a little softer..? might try it in super next

Scott

Edited by scottyinAZ

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys this is a silly question, especialy since i have been doing this for a long time..... why do lead bullets gain more velocity over plated given the same powder charge?? is it a barrel to bullet friction thing? Just curious. my load makes major with lead and minor by a good bit with plated. i just tried clays in my 45, was shooting solo 1000, and i think i like clays a little more, seems a little softer..? might try it in super next

Scott

Scotty; for as long as I can remember that has been the accepted case. Same load Same gun lead bullets = 100fps over jacketed. Our thoughts back then were that the lead seals better at the lower velocities. Never did much testing over the 1000 fps threshold as that was where the lead bullets started needing the (I am so old I forgot the name of the brass cap they put on back of the lead bullet to keep it from melting so bad.) :wacko: dang thingy. not much of a thread drift but now I return you to the regular discussion. later rdd

Edite to Add gas checks, gas checks, gas checks, gas checks, gas checks, gas checks, there I feel better, not younger but better.

Edited by Bubber