Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Well the guys have been wanting me to shoot trap,skeet and clays.

West Texas Granny

You'll be hooked, as TD says, "wood on wood, eye on the bird" everybody will know when you aren't, because you'll miss the birds and have a bruised cheek. The 1100 Remington is a good gun for all the shotgun sports.

• 4 weeks later...

There are two methods for shooting crossing birds, sustained lead or get on it, push out in front and pull the trigger (and keep swinging). Yes the first lesson is stated above, Keep your head down. Too many people want to lift their head to see the bird crush only to watch it fly away. Find a good shooter willing to watch you shoot straight away’s and then angled birds. You will learn tons watching that person but helpful hints on mounting, swing and follow through will get you on track faster than reading about it.

When I get on the pad and before I call the bird this is what goes through my head: “keep your head down, get on it, get out in front of it, pull the trigger”. Good Luck!

Keep your head on the stock and keep the gun swinging on crossing shots. if yo miss the bird your gun should still be swinging and follow the brid to the ground.

Also if your 1100 has chokes, proper choke selection can be a big help. I shot a skeet league this last winter and a buddy of mine had problems breaking into the double digits. then we found he had a Mod choke on a 28" barrel trying to shoot skeet. He invested $20 in a Skeet choke for it and all of a sudden he was beaking 12-16 every round. major improvement right away.

I'd start on the skeet field first, with "some of the guys", doing some station practice and just get the feel of swinging through the targets...and having fun.

No doubt you'll get more "help" than you want or can absorb the first time around. So, I'll only suggest you keep moving after you pull the trigger and keep you eyes on the "bird", not the gun.

In the beginning, it's more important that you "feel" and look "good" :D , than actually hitting the targets...that will come easy enough when you are relaxed and "smooth".

• 4 weeks later...

If you lift the elbow of your trigger finger arm so it is parallel to the ground (not drooping downward) it will help keep your cheek on the stock instead of lifting it up. When you lift your head you usually bring the front of the barrel up also and shoot over the bird.

As far as follow through, learn to track the biggest piece of the bird with the gun after the shot. You will be following through using this method. Even if you miss you follow the largest piece of the bird which will be the bird but you are still training yourself to follow through.

Pat

Move, Mount, Shoot....... I've always found that to be a beneficial phrase to keep in mind that one of my mentors in the sport taught me. I always shoot dismounted because it gives you a better picture of the bird and your focus is not on your sight and limited. Another good tip is to start your gun on the line of the bird that way when you pull up to track it you do not jerk off the line. Good luck man, like others have said once you start it is addicting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...