Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

whats the best optic for AR-15 in 3 gun match??

Grinch

Parallax will only be a problem when you don't have your head (eye) at the optical axis. When you are taking precision shots you'll probably have good cheek weld anyway. Or do you guys shoot 200-300 yard shots while moving? :)

After I got my TA11 and started playing around with it I now don't see any need for variable optics when shooting IPSC-type targets (paper or metal). Like Kurt said it is fast at any distance. At close you can use it 1X by looking 'past' the scope (or covering the front lens if that's too hard) and 3.5X is powerful enough for all 3Gun distances.

BTW VX-II 1-4x actual lower end magnification is 1.6X if someone was still wondering that.

BTW VX-II 1-4x actual lower end magnification is 1.6X if someone was still wondering that.

Is that true for my Old School Vari-X II that it replaced, or is it the exact same scope with a slightly different name?

Is that true for my Old School Vari-X II that it replaced, or is it the exact same scope with a slightly different name?

I think that older Vari-X II 1-4x scopes have 1.75x minimum magnification. I'm not 100% sure but that figure just pops in my mind. I remember though that it's actual magnification was more than Vari-X III 1.5-5x model so I went with III couple of years ago.

For Open I like my dual optic set up. A Burris Balistic-plex 3.5-10 that has built in ranging out to 600 yards with an Optima on the side. Just tilt the gun over a few degrees and the dot is right there. For me the dot is really fast on the hoser stages and out to about 35 yards, depending on target size, and the scope for those head shots and bowling pins at 50 and everything else out to whatever.

26282886-454e-02000182-.jpg

See the dot?

26282889-583b-02000182-.jpg

Just got home from the Texas State 3-Gun RO match...I run a 3.5-10 Leupold "tactical" in an Armalite mount on a flattop AR, with a OKO on the handguard at 2 o'clock. Although I won't shoot the 200 yard stage until next weekend (match weekend of April 10-11, plenty of time to get your entry forms in, plug plug), I did run a stage composed of a 50 yard wide array of six swingers at fifty yards, a "hallway hosefest", and a rotten excuse for a stage (100 yard three-target mover with two 75-yard swingers (and twelve close hoser targets, plus four "flop on your belly like a wounded harp seal" low port targets))...all dot.

Might as well take that Leupold off and put the dot on top.

First shot hits out to 75 yards on half-size poppers.

All six hits on a very evil mover (8.6 seconds over 40 yards of travel in and out of four walls almost exactly 100 yards downrange).

No need for magnification.

Although I may just keep that scope on for the 220 yard shots next weekend :)

Alex

http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/imag...s/3gun_open.JPG

AW