Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First USPSA pistol match tomorrow

JMIS

I will be shooting my first USPSA pistol match tomorrow morning. Any tips or helpful thoughts would be great.

I know rule number one is saftey.

I've shot 3 gun and other pistol matches before. This will be my first USPSA match. I don't think I will sleep much tonight. :unsure:

My first Large match, I didn't sleep One Minute (no exaggeration)

all night - didn't affect me - I still shot as badly as usual?(

The first Three rules are safety, safety and safety - don't get

DQ'd.

After that, accuracy is next in importance followed by safety.

Don't even think about speed.

Set up our approach to the course of fire (talk to some old hands

about it, and watch them shoot it) - then decide where to reload,

etc. and shoot it carefully - don't run too fast, don't drop your

gun, don't turn around (break the 180), and rule number 5 or 6?

is Have A Lot Of Fun.

Good luck tomorrow.

Where are you shooting? Factoryville?

My first Large match, I didn't sleep One Minute (no exaggeration)

all night - didn't affect me - I still shot as badly as usual?(

The first Three rules are safety, safety and safety - don't get

DQ'd.

After that, accuracy is next in importance followed by safety.

Don't even think about speed.

Set up our approach to the course of fire (talk to some old hands

about it, and watch them shoot it) - then decide where to reload,

etc. and shoot it carefully - don't run too fast, don't drop your

gun, don't turn around (break the 180), and rule number 5 or 6?

is Have A Lot Of Fun.

Good luck tomorrow.

Where are you shooting? Factoryville?

Topton PA... I plan on getting there early to help with set up and do some walk threws. Thanks for the advice :cheers:

Topton is a good shoot - glad to hear they're back in business:)

Lots of nice guys and good shooters there - don't try to beat

them, they're too good - just have fun.

Wear a lot of warm clothes - hat, gloves, heavy coat - there's

a lot of sitting around in this sport, and Topton gets windy.

Well, I'm off to Orlando for a shoot at 9:00 - lets hope

we both do well:)) Going up to 88 F. today - I'll try to

stay out of the sun as much as possible.

Jack

How did the first match go?

No scores yet. It turned out to be a pretty big monthly match with 70 shooters. I had five Mikes all day. Three of them were from a 40-50 yard long stage and one low target I shot over the top of twice. I had a great time a look forward to improvement. Everyone was freindly and I even ran into some shooters from last weeks Steel Match at York PA.

I'M HOOKED!

:cheers:

I shot my first match on Saturday(South Chester County Practical Shooters), there was also 70 shooter(six new).

It was awesome, we(me and the wife) are going to Eastern Shore Practical Shooters next Saturday.

Did you notice that once the timer went off the stage was like a dream? Very unique experience.

I might have been in your squad. If so, you shot an awesome match for being new. Usually you can sort of tell who is new or not, but you looked like a veteran.

I was the ruggedly good looking guy shooting the shiny 6" limited gun.

I might have been in your squad. If so, you shot an awesome match for being new. Usually you can sort of tell who is new or not, but you looked like a veteran.

Thank you for the kind words. I think I know who you were. My dad was also shooting in our squad also.

Were you the guy that had problems with the first left target on I think stage six? It was the stage that you made three runs on.

I shot my first match on Saturday(South Chester County Practical Shooters), there was also 70 shooter(six new).

It was awesome, we(me and the wife) are going to Eastern Shore Practical Shooters next Saturday.

Did you notice that once the timer went off the stage was like a dream? Very unique experience.

Dream is correct. My first stage was two texas stars. That was my for the first time shooting a star... that was more like a nightmare :roflol:

We had six new shooters at this match also.

Thank you for the kind words. I think I know who you were. My dad was also shooting in our squad also.

Were you the guy that had problems with the first left target on I think stage six? It was the stage that you made three runs on.

Ha, yes I was :(.

I cleaned the two stars in 12 shots total but I couldn't hit that single plate. I have video of it, it's ugly.

What was wrong with your M&P?

I shoot an M&P Pro too (not yesterday though)

Edited by waktasz

Ha, yes I was :(.

I cleaned the two stars in 12 shots total but I couldn't hit that single plate. I have video of it, it's ugly.

What was wrong with your M&P?

I shoot an M&P Pro too (not yesterday though)

At the new shooter stage I had a round not extract. So I didn't want to take a chance during the match.

I had two last week at York in the Steel match. Dad and I talked it could of been light loads. I had a total of 3 in 250 rds.

Any misses or no shoots are penalties.

I was JUST on Toptons site but nothing there, had to hit refresh and found it.

I tanked the classifier stage but won the Texas Star stage. 7th out of 15 is disappointing but I'm happy to have won a stage.

Edited by waktasz

Any misses or no shoots are penalties.

I was JUST on Toptons site but nothing there, had to hit refresh and found it.

I tanked the classifier stage but won the Texas Star stage. 7th out of 15 is disappointing but I'm happy to have won a stage.

I was happy to be the only guy on stage one with no penalties :surprise:

If you win a stage (highest hit factor, which is points/time), you get 100% of the total points for that stage.

So for example on the star stage there were 10 targets, worth 5 points each. If you win that stage you get 50 stage points and everyone else gets a percentage of that based on their hit factor compared to yours.

If you win a stage (highest hit factor, which is points/time), you get 100% of the total points for that stage.

So for example on the star stage there were 10 targets, worth 5 points each. If you win that stage you get 50 stage points and everyone else gets a percentage of that based on their hit factor compared to yours.

ohhhh ok, now I get it.

Nice work! I still can't figure out how that scoring page is set up, but it looks like I took 2nd in SS with 465 points.... seems pretty decent to me

Good job Steve! Maybe squad up next time?

ohhhh ok, now I get it.

Glad to hear it.

I must have wrote a two page email to a friend trying to explain what I just explained above in two sentences.

See you guys next month.

ohhhh ok, now I get it.

Glad to hear it.

I must have wrote a two page email to a friend trying to explain what I just explained above in two sentences.

See you guys next month.

For sure, maybe even York this Sunday :D

jmis it was nice to shoot with you , and matt i told you that the frist plate keep on moving. :D

Thanks A.J.! I see you had a good match. What type of gun were you shooting?