Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SWC in a revo?

S391

Is there any reason NOT to use SWC's in a 625? I have a box that have been sitting around for a while and I figured I might as well shoot them up.... but I'm curious if the shape will cause the moonclip to hang up during reloads.

Yep reloading a swc compared to a ball round is almost painful

WOW! I have loaded 10000+ 255 swc in my dillon for my 625 and they are no different than loading RN..As a matter of fact they have a beveled base and I don't flare as to keep as much retention I can get.

If you can't find time to practice and use up the SWC, a thought is to load the SWC at the line.

Then use round nose for all reloads.

You'll work through the SWC.

I do the same with my ammo that is less optimally shaped than other ammo I have.

Unless you enjoy doing the hokie pokie or some other form of ridiculous gyrations to get the moonclip to go in...I'd suggest you use the SWC's for starters and practice. I did the 200 gr SWC's when I started shooting Revo in IDPA and it was great for learning to shoot the revolver because I could clearly see my hits. Reloading was super slow anyways so I didn't care much at first. Within the first thousand rounds you'll want to reload to the roundnoses.

+1 to wht the others have said. I regularly use SWC for LAMR, and then go with round nose for all the reloads. The only exception, is if the stage, usually one with long range tgts, requires a lot of accuracy. I will then arrange my moons so that I have the SWCs for the long range tgts and the RN for up close and personal.

If you're going to mix and match ammo, don't do it at a major match. You'll have to go through chrono with both types, and that could be a problem.

I've run into a situation where lead/moly bullets left a grease ring, but jacketed ball bullets didn't, raising the question as to whether the bullet went through hard cover first.

For the most part, I'll use up the odd-ball ammo in practice rather than matches.

Thanks everyone. You pretty much confirmed what I was thinking so I'll either keep the SWC's in the emergency reserve or load them up and use them in the weekly PPC league I shoot it.

• 5 months later...