Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 Competiton bullet

rtr

My first .308 from Larue is coming soon. Looking for an economical accurate bullet to load in it using Varget. Any recommendations for ~1 MOA accuracy?

Wow - its tough to get 1 MOA economically, especially with a .308. On a REALLY good day, I can pull 1.5 MOA out of my Super Match with 168gr Sierra Matchkings. My 3 gun load is 150gr FMJ's that usually give me ~3 MOA. But that's with 4064 & irons.

Edited by pastorjohnd

What are you wanting to do with it?

If its 3guning - Sierra 135 MKs or 155 MKs for longer range precision stuff on 10 inch targets, Hornady 155 FMJs for hoser stuff inside 100 yds... Staying with the lighter bullets will keep your ballistics inside 400 yds fairly flat and similar to 223 = less thinking on the clock...

jj

If this were a bolt action, I'd say try the Sierra Palma 155's or Hornady 178gr Match. But for a semi-auto, the BC will be less important, in which case you'll probably be better off with the lighter bullets at higher velocities. Have a look at Hornady and Sierra bullets in the 125-135gr range. If you want a heavier bullet, you might also want try the Nosler 150gr.

I would go with what Graham has said. Use the Sierra Palma 155's. they have about the same BC as the 175 gr's but you get higher velocity and can reach out further. I just ordered a few lbs of this myself. Jesse

If you have a 1:12" barrel, then use Nosler or Sierra 168gr bullets, but if it's a 1:10" barrel then use the 175gr Noslers or Sierras.

Load them to 2.800" OAL.

Edited by RePete

FWIW, unless you are going for distances over 600yds, you can save some money but keep good accuracy by using the Nosler 155's rather than the Sierra. At a max fps of around 2900, the drop will be within an inch at 500yds and two at 600. Again, this is with a bolt action. With a semi-auto, and distances under 500yds, lighter and faster might be a better choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Im guessing you will be shooting a 1x12in twist and I would probably go with either the 155gr SMK's or the 168 and 175gr SMK's. Either way a 12 twist will stabilize any bullets in that range and probably heavier ones but you will just have to play with them and see. if it is a good rifle most match bullets will work for you. If you are going factory loads the federal gold medal loaded with the Sierra 168gr MatchKings is the way to go.

Looking for an economical accurate bullet to load in it using Varget.

BTW, you don't mention distance. Also, bear in mind that a lot of the discussions on .308 bullets is for bolt action rifles with 24"-26" barrels. What works for them may not get you what you want out of a semi-auto - there are a whole pile of different requirements for velocity, COAL, pressure, etc.

The Sierra 168gr Federal Match loads are very popular because they are used by a lot of police and swat. But for them 200yds is often the limit of their doctrine and 600yds is pretty much the practical limit. And if you put that load in an 18" barrel you will find that it becomes dicey sooner.

Also, Varget is popular with .308 shooters, but once again that's for longer barreled bolt actions. Sierra 155gr Palma over Varget is very popular but, again, that's for long barrels and long distance.

I think you need to do some research that is very specific to your rifle. If I were you, I'd call LaRue and talk to them. If they can't give you a good set of recommendations, no one can.

• 1 month later...

I have an 18" OBR, I have gotten 1 moa or better with everything I have tried. Hornady 150 FMJs are shooting .5 MOA at 100-300M but I haven't shot them out past that. For long range stuff I use Berger 155.5 Fullbores, they aren't exactly cheap but I haven't shot anything that can touch them. I shot a 6 inch group out to 800m with it. I am using Reloader 15 on the Hornadys and IMR 82-8 for the Bergers. The OBR is a tac driver, you'll just need to make sure you trim your cases and back off a little bit at least a grain on your loads or your plunger will dent the head of the brass.

• 5 months later...