Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Spring Question

tatu_ph

Good Day!

Need your inputs here. What would you say will be the lightest recoil spring possible for this set up without putting shock buff and still prevent excessive frame battering.

Slide- Colt Series 80 Bo-mar rear sight un-lightened slide

Main Spring- 17 lbs. ISMI

Ammo- 210/200 grn head Fps will vary but target Power Factor is 180

Barrel- Stock Colt Bushing type barrel with Wilson FLGR

I've tried 14lbs and now I'm wondering if I can still go down to a lighter one.

Thanks!

I'd say 12lbs in a smooth operating .45. That said, based on what I've seen I think shock-buffs are just a good way to cause problems and malfunctions, and generally just give you added headaches... I have never really seen a true, honest-to-goodness example of frame-battering in a gun that was properly timed and well-built, the one's I've seen with wear that could be blamed on frame-battering were not the greatest pieces and would've probably ended up that way anyhow no matter what. Still, the few guns I've seen showing wear that one might chalk up to the result of frame-battering were guns owned by shooters who had really shot the crap out of them over thousands upon thousands of rounds and who weren't too distressed that it might be time to retire their specimen. YMMV.

I tend to favor the ISMI springs though which seem to run slightly heavier than the Wolff's and from what I've seen seem to last longer.

I almost always do what Pat says! He actually measures the spring weight of his springs, he does not rely on the packaging label.

14 is a nice weight. If you go lower and experience your gun dipping too much, go back up to a 14. With a lighter weight spring I have notice a slower slide return.

Thanks for the input guys! Yeah I think I'll stick with the 14 lbs. I chanced upon a shooter using 12.5lbs and I asked if I can barrow his spring. When I tried it did not have that much of a difference when it comes to the sight return, but I do feel the impact of the slide to the frame is stronger.

Here's what has worked for me. You'll need a bunch of new shock buffs and a constant load - light - heavy, but the same. Use a new buff and the stock spring - shoot a mag or two. Check the buff - if it's getting hit leaving marks, change to a lighter (a pound) spring and a new buff, shoot a mag or two and check the buff - if it's still getting marks on it go to a pound lighter spring, and a new buffer. Repeat until the gun cycles and there's little to no marks on the buff - then you can remove the buff and are sure the spring is not too light for that particular load. Just reverse for light loads.

I've used a load of 7.8 Auto Comp behind a 155 jhp in my STI open .40 with a 10# spring. Dropped to 6.9 with a 7# spring for steel. Determined these spring weights useing this method.

Any feedback?

• 2 weeks later...

I am relatively new here and am trying to post in the right place and follow the etiquette. So I apologize in advance if I got it wrong; please point me in the right direction.

Following on with a similar question:

Gun - STI Spartan 45 ACP

Ammo - 230 gr. ball; 4.1 gr. Ramshot Competition; 1.255" OAL

Competition - USPSA (L-10)

I bought reduced recoil spring pack from Wolff. Given the above would a 15 - 14 pound spring work for me?

Thanks!

-FA

I am relatively new here and am trying to post in the right place and follow the etiquette. So I apologize in advance if I got it wrong; please point me in the right direction.

Following on with a similar question:

Gun - STI Spartan 45 ACP

Ammo - 230 gr. ball; 4.1 gr. Ramshot Competition; 1.255" OAL

Competition - USPSA (L-10)

I bought reduced recoil spring pack from Wolff. Given the above would a 15 - 14 pound spring work for me?

Thanks!

-FA

I run a 12# spring in my single stack, using 200gr RN Precision over 4.3gr of Clays 170pf. Picking the right spring is somewhere between 12 and 17 you just have to try them and find the one that gives the gun the personality you want. The heavier spring will cause the muzzle to rize more during early recoil and the lighter spring will cause more slap in the palm and flip at the end of the slide stroke. Finding what works for you is all Trial and Error. I should add that as your skill level improves your preference in recoil spirngs will change. I've never shot a 230gr in my 45, I'm going to have to try some to see the difference.

Edited by CocoBolo

Hello: I use a 14lb ISMI recoil spring in my Spartan 45 with 200 grain bullets. The 14lb spring makes the pistol come back on target very quickly for me. I also use the 14lb spring in my 40 single stack and 5" limited pistol. I like the 200 grain bullets since they are quick and snappy for me. I like a quick reacting pistol :cheers: Thanks, Eric

• 4 weeks later...