Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ballistic software for Apple 4G IPhone

rstimpfling

This thread got me to look into Density Altitude. I'm sold on the need to have it. Now I'm wondering if the Kestrel 4500 is worth the extra over the 4000 with it's extra wind read options. Anyone use the 4500 and have some comments on it over the 4000.

I have and use the 4500 and like it. Unfortunately I have not used a 4000 and have no opinion on which would be better for you. I tend to be in the "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" camp so went with the 4500. My only complaint is the battery compartment is not sealed from the rest of the electronics and when the batteries off gas and turn into a acidy chia pet it tends to make your Kestral have a vary bad day. For the price of these things I'd have expected a better battery compartment design.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree about the battery compartment.. Best thing to do is use lithium battery instead of the alkaline.

As long as you have DA, you don't need the wind reading. However, it is nice to have the option. You can find a like new 4500nv unit for less than $300 on other forums.

I used atrag for a couple years and was happy with it until i spent 20 bucks on ballistic AE for iPhone. Ballistic does everything atrag does and more for a fraction of the cost and is on hardware from this decade. If anybody wants atrag on a PDA i'd sell mine cheap.

• 1 month later...