Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ballistic software for Apple 4G IPhone

rstimpfling

I walked into the world of LR 8 years ago, I knew nothing, but I listened to people who were doing good, watched them and made notes, I made some pretty dumb mistakes, I bought cheap ass scopes, later replaced with much better scopes, I consider a NF to be where to start now and go up from there, I had a off brand weather meter, it sucked, I replaced it with my 4000, using DA is easy, and it's the number that counts, the density of air is what effects bullet flight, a 2500 is a fine meter, but it's not a 4000, and it doesn't give the information a shooter needs to make hits at distance, which is ................................ DA. I have given good advice in this thread, choose to use it or ignore it, I'm going shooting now, I have a long drive.

Edited by 427Cobra

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have given good advice in this thread, choose to use it or ignore it, I'm going shooting now, I have a long drive.

No offense intended and I don't question the fact that DA will give you what you need. But I've just got to dig into this some more because I have not seen anything that puts DA into the must have category.

FWIW, I just got a copy of Ballistic FTE to experiment with. Two things I can see right off:

--I wish there was a manual for it. It's not as intuitive to use as I would like.

--The bullet list is not up to date with the list on the JBM site.

• 4 months later...

I walked into the world of LR 8 years ago, I knew nothing, but I listened to people who were doing good, watched them and made notes, I made some pretty dumb mistakes, I bought cheap ass scopes, later replaced with much better scopes, I consider a NF to be where to start now and go up from there, I had a off brand weather meter, it sucked, I replaced it with my 4000, using DA is easy, and it's the number that counts, the density of air is what effects bullet flight, a 2500 is a fine meter, but it's not a 4000, and it doesn't give the information a shooter needs to make hits at distance, which is ................................ DA. I have given good advice in this thread, choose to use it or ignore it, I'm going shooting now, I have a long drive.

Bryan, when are you gonna come shoot some matches with us?

• 4 months later...

I just deleted a long post on the topic of DA as it relates to long range shooting and instead will just post this. If you shot any of the matches that I will be going to then feel free to use your phone to calculate your dope using the standard temperature, altitude, barometric pressure, and humidity inputs. I am sure that it will get you close enough ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've actually toyed around with a few programs: Ballistic, iSnipe, KAC BulletFlight Lvl.2 and iStrelok. This DA discussion is fascinating and I'll have to investigate more to see if I can find a good ballistic option that uses this data.

Ballistic offers a truing option similar to Atrag. Given this it's probably the best option. I find it slightly clunky compared to BulletFlight, which is clearly more intended for field use. iSnipe rides middle of the pack; it's nice that it pulls meteorological data and slope angle automatically, but these are data that I pull from other applications anyway.

iStrelok has a handy reticle view which I find easier to use than the other readouts. It works best with a Horus reticle or similar mil-grid. The reticle view is strangely zoom-agnostic (target size remains the same as zoom increases) which makes this readout slightly odd to use, but it does give you a very good idea of what your holdover should be with a BDC or mil/MOA hash reticle. It is worth noting also that iStrelok has an easy to use zero-atmosphere setting which allows you to vary atmospherics between where you zeroed and where you're shooting; I have not tested this function extensively but it seems a nice feature to have for people that shoot in multiple environments and altitudes.

Some other applications which are not mentioned but useful in the ballistic/field shooting capacity:

Clinometer

Theodolite (augmented-reality land-navigation hacking)

Spyglass (like Theodolite, adds a slightly more intuitive map shortcut, includes more ranging features)

Weather Underground (pulls weather data from local stations - not as good as a weather meter but for most range shooting acceptably precise, particularly if your range has its own weather station, as many do)

Edited by TriggerHippie

I have not seen anything that puts DA into the must have category.

Density altitude is the ONE number that takes into account: pressure, temperature, and water vapor in the atmosphere. It is the number pilots use when taking off from higher elevation sites. It is the number drag racers use when setting up their fuel mix and tire pressure. And, it's what long range shooters use when the distance is 1000 yards and beyond. While water vapor doesn't affect bullet flight significantly at 500 yards, it can be the difference in minute of torso accuracy at 1200 yards. Ignore it at your own peril.

I may be speaking out my a** here, because I have lots more experience playing with the software than actually shooting at long distances, but I've generally been impressed with both the v2 BulletFlight, and with Strelok.

Get Ballistic FTE, and a Kestral 4000 so you can get the DA where your shooting from, set up FTE to use Density Altitude, forget about using temp baro humidity ........, DA is a combination of everything a shooter needs to make hits at distance, you can be in Death Valley -4000 DA or on Mt Everast 15000 DA(those are guesses not fact) and the data FTE will be extremely close, my IPhone has iSnipe, iStrelok, BulletFlight, MD Ballistics, Shooter, and Ballistic FTE, I use FTE almost exclusively. As with any ballistic program, Garbage in Garbage out, DO NOT guess what your FPS is, and shoot thru the chrono whenever possible, DO NOT guess what the DA is, I cal my Kestral every time I use it, I never ever adjust its baro setting, I use the GPS in my car to give the altitude where I'm shooting from and adjust the Kestral to that, after that I monitor the DA, 500 feet DA change will change your come ups. Now the data FTE spits out may not be exact, I find at 1000 yards it's with in .1 -.2 Mils, that's where data books come in to play, use one, record your shots.

+1

• 1 month later...

Tackman11 does your Kestrel have blue tooth capability? If so are you able to link the Kestrel directly to the I Phone? I would like to know before I spend the extra money for the blue tooth capability.

Robert

Semper Fi

• 2 weeks later...
I have not seen anything that puts DA into the must have category.

Density altitude is the ONE number that takes into account: pressure, temperature, and water vapor in the atmosphere. It is the number pilots use when taking off from higher elevation sites. It is the number drag racers use when setting up their fuel mix and tire pressure. And, it's what long range shooters use when the distance is 1000 yards and beyond. While water vapor doesn't affect bullet flight significantly at 500 yards, it can be the difference in minute of torso accuracy at 1200 yards. Ignore it at your own peril.

+1

I've been using Shooter for a little while now, and I love that all I have to do is plug in DA, and it's spot-on. Furthermore, I don't even bother with a chronograph--confirm 100yd zero, then use MV tool to match up the dope at the farthest distance I can go to. Best 10 bucks I've spent on an app.

I may be speaking out my a** here, because I have lots more experience playing with the software than actually shooting at long distances, but I've generally been impressed with both the v2 BulletFlight, and with Strelok.

Also, Strelok now includes a muzzle velocity "trueing" feature that was previously only available (AFAIK) in the ATrag software that was not available for any of the modern platforms.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ballistic AE and a Kestrel 4000 or 4500 in order to get DA. The reason I stress DA is because you're not going to have a weather station out in the middle of nowhere. If you use the Kestrel's (corrected) Barometric Pressure in your Ballistic Calc, you will need to correct the Kestrel before going out. Plus you may not have the same conditions where you're going (now you've added data from the location you came from). In order to correct it where you plan on shooting, you will need to know your current elevation (in order to get the corrected Baro Press and data). By using station pressure on the Kestrel, you'll get the correct DA no matter where you're at. Your DOPE will change a bit when you have at least a 5000' DA change.

Also, Ballistic AE has the Litz library, uses the JBM calculator, and you can true your DOPE if you need to.

Edited by shotdown

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Tackman11 does your Kestrel have blue tooth capability? If so are you able to link the Kestrel directly to the I Phone? I would like to know before I spend the extra money for the blue tooth capability.

Robert

Semper Fi

No I don't use blue tooth. It's unnecessary, I just check the DA once in awhile to see if any change