Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ballistic software for Apple 4G IPhone

rstimpfling

Is anyone using an Apple 4G IPhone for ballistic software? Which app are you using and why? Which one has the best features? Which is the easiest to use? Thanks in advance.

Robert

Edited by rstimpfling

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone using an Apple 4G IPhone for ballistic software? Which app are you using and why? Which one has the best features? Which is the easiest to use? Thanks in advance.

Robert

I'm using the 3GS, but the apps are the same. I purchased iSnipe about four months ago. Loved it. Great app, easy to use with really useful information. Then they started updating it. There was a two month period where it didn't work at all. You couldn't change information like velocity on a load. Think about it. How useful is a ballistics calculator if you can't change the velocity??? They finally "fixed" it a few weeks ago. Didn't crash every time, but was way less user friendly. They separated the range you are shooting, the gun you are using and the load you are using as separate items that need to be changed independently if any of the variables change. The range part makes sense to me and the program automatically looks for your location and loads the current temp, wind, barometric pressure, etc. Really cool. The problem is with separating gun from ammo. The two are intrinsically linked. Ammo out of a different gun with a different twist, barrel length, etc. will have a different velocity. The bottom line is that you have to go to two different screens that are many clicks apart to make changes. Today I tried to use it and it was missing all of my custom loads. I had to manually re=enter them...but I didn't remember the velocities, so I had to re-chrono. Total waste of time.

While iSnipe was down a few months ago I downloaded Ballistic FTE. It was a bit more pricey than iSnipe, but has been totally glitch-free. It is a simpler program to use, but supplies just as much info (except iSnipe has a feature where you hit the MOA number for a calculated distance and it will show you the holdover on a mil-dot scope. Very cool...except for I sold my mil-dot scope a few months ago).

Overall, I would recommend Ballistic FTE. It works just like iSnipe did...before they messed it up trying to improve it.

Let me know if you have any other questions. --Brian

Edited by Gruyere

Does the Ballistic FTE add the wind, temp, and barometric pressure like the iSnipe?

Robert

Yes...even live LOS angles!

Yep.. It;s a great program. A bit more expensive than the others ($20, I think) but in the general scheme of how much we spend to accurately put lead downrange, it's downright cheap.

Ballistic on the Ipad, and Ballistic FTE on the phone. They work well for me. I like the easy to use interface and quick updates. Also the bullet selection is great so I don't need to go searching for BC's.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

From what I have read, the two top ranked apps are Ballistic (JBM) and Shooter. I see several people here have good comments about Ballistic FTE and if it's as complete as the JBM web apps, it should be more the adequate.

Shooter uses the Litz library, but I'm not sure if this app is something he collaborated on or not. This app is also available for Android which gives it a broader market. Anyone using it?

Do any of these even compare to ATrag the Horus system? I realize its not available on smartphones.

Depends on what you are looking for. Despite the cost, both Ballistic and Shooter are extremely capable programs. I'm not sure what features you might be looking for that these two programs cannot do.

Get Ballistic FTE, and a Kestral 4000 so you can get the DA where your shooting from, set up FTE to use Density Altitude, forget about using temp baro humidity ........, DA is a combination of everything a shooter needs to make hits at distance, you can be in Death Valley -4000 DA or on Mt Everast 15000 DA(those are guesses not fact) and the data FTE will be extremely close, my IPhone has iSnipe, iStrelok, BulletFlight, MD Ballistics, Shooter, and Ballistic FTE, I use FTE almost exclusively. As with any ballistic program, Garbage in Garbage out, DO NOT guess what your FPS is, and shoot thru the chrono whenever possible, DO NOT guess what the DA is, I cal my Kestral every time I use it, I never ever adjust its baro setting, I use the GPS in my car to give the altitude where I'm shooting from and adjust the Kestral to that, after that I monitor the DA, 500 feet DA change will change your come ups. Now the data FTE spits out may not be exact, I find at 1000 yards it's with in .1 -.2 Mils, that's where data books come in to play, use one, record your shots.

Get Ballistic FTE, and a Kestral 4000 so you can get the DA where your shooting from...

I'm still learning my way around all of this but I was rather under the impression that all you needed was altitude and b.pressure. Inputting those two things plus a standard 50% humidity would give you a result that was so close to the result using actual density altitude as to not be significant at anything under extreme long range (at which point there are so many variables that this one gets lost in the crowd).

Mr Smith DA is used by pilots for performance calculations, it's temp baro altitude humidity to give the density of air, a very very smart man by the name of Brand Cole(Prometheus Tool Corp) discovered that volumes of ballistic tables can be broken down in to one sheet of data if one can get what his DA is from the point of discharge of the bullet, one number instead of all the other numbers is easier to use, easier to see charges, and most importantly dead nuts accurate another very smart man by the name of Lindy Sisk has a LR shooting references that explains in detail.

http://www.arcanamavens.com/LBSFiles/Shooting/Downloads/References/

Here is a tip for you people who have MilDot scopes with MOA knobs, set your windage to Mils in FTE, come ups in MOA, now for what ever distance your shooting you can dial the elevation in MOA, and use the reticle for wind holds

DA is used by pilots for performance calculations

I have not dug that deeply into density altitude, but I am familiar with it and how it is used. I think what I was trying to say is that while it is true that you can use DA if you have it and if your software will use it (which both Ballistic and Shooter will).

But I was rather under the impression that both of these programs could give you an end result that was nearly identical by using altitude and pressure and an average humidity (of 50%), which can be gotten from a Kestrel 2500 which is about $100 cheaper than those that have DA readings. Caveat: at distances that exceed 1000yd "nearly identical" takes on a new meaning, but then at that point the calculations tend to start getting kind of wonky.

On the other hand, I may be completely off track.

I just find DA easier to use, I understand that costs are a concern for a lot of people, I have a blue collar job with a full time mommy for our child, but in the world of LR there are better choices that make life easier and they simply cost more, I consider the Kestral 4000 the place to begin, it's cheaper to buy a 4000 now then buy a 2500 then a 4000

I just find DA easier to use, I understand that costs are a concern for a lot of people, I have a blue collar job with a full time mommy for our child, but in the world of LR there are better choices that make life easier and they simply cost more, I consider the Kestral 4000 the place to begin, it's cheaper to buy a 4000 now then buy a 2500 then a 4000

This..... Kestrel 4000 is a must and a must have for any longe range shooting. How else can we get a feel for the conditions at any give time or place.

This..... Kestrel 4000 is a must and a must have for any longe range shooting. How else can we get a feel for the conditions at any give time or place.

Let me play devils advocate here. The only two things that the 4000 has that the 2500 does not are humidity and density altitude. Now, again, I may be wrong, but I believe that you don't need either of these things to get an accurate ballistic curve using either Ballistic FTE or Shooter. Am I wrong?

Let me play devils advocate here. The only two things that the 4000 has that the 2500 does not are humidity and density altitude. Now, again, I may be wrong, but I believe that you don't need either of these things to get an accurate ballistic curve using either Ballistic FTE or Shooter. Am I wrong?

+1 on the kestrel I have the 4200 its a must have. I have an Android phone and use Strelok its a free app and so far has worked like a charm.Dont leave home without it

Edited by drglock

Agreed unless you have began using a more advanced system like ATrag.