Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The new North Mountain IDPA Speed Loader holders

cyberiad

Today I used the new North Mountain IDPA Speed loader holders http://www.4wheelguns.com/IDPACompliant.html for the first time in a match. They provide just the right amount of tension to securely hold K-Frame Comp IIIs in place yet their design allows the speed loader to be accessed quickly.

I have not cut down any of my Comp IIIs I have (yet) but the holders are deep enough that modified Comp IIIs should fit as well. In addition, while I didn't use them today, the Jet Loaders I have appear to fit in the holders as well in my limited testing with them. The Tek-Lok attachment holds the loader securely to the belt and with 2 loaders side-by-side there is plenty of room in between to grab a speed loader without fear of dislodging one.

A great product for SSR shooters from North Mountain.

Cyberiad, I have a NM speedloader holder for the L frame and I used it for the modified comp III's and the Jets. From the little I have gotten to use it it seems to work well. And Bob is a great guy to deal with. :cheers: later rdd

Cyberiad, I have a NM speedloader holder for the L frame and I used it for the modified comp III's and the Jets. From the little I have gotten to use it it seems to work well. And Bob is a great guy to deal with. :cheers: later rdd

Are the comments on using MODIFIED comp III's in regard to the statement on his website about using NOT using modified comp III's? I assume the design for the idpa holder and the six speedloader holder are the same.

Are the comments on using MODIFIED comp III's in regard to the statement on his website about using NOT using modified comp III's? I assume the design for the idpa holder and the six speedloader holder are the same.

The Idpa is a single holder. It works for the modified speedloaders, even as far as I cut them down. I have a single now and ordered a few more so I will have enough for a stage. He has another design that holds six unmodified loaders. Check his website www.4wheelguns.com. You may have to search around a little. later rdd

Bob Perdue is an excellent guy to deal with putting the competitor first and promoting the brotherhood of revolver shooters.

I believe the reason the UNMODIFIED speedloaders were discussed is that IDPA rules say the holder must cover the cartirdges and the top of the body of the speedloaders. So if an UNMODIFIED works a modified should work too, but not necessarily the other way round. More an issue of IDPA legality with both than anything else.

ETA: With the new rules on distance off the holster for strongside carry of ammo carriers....the Tekloks have a good amount of width to them so that the shooter can butt everything together and still have enough room to work especially if the loaders are spaced an inch apart...Tekloks to teklok to holster.

Edited by Forrest Halley

I believe the reason the UNMODIFIED speedloaders were discussed is that IDPA rules say the holder must cover the cartirdges and the top of the body of the speedloaders. So if an UNMODIFIED works a modified should work too, but not necessarily the other way round. More an issue of IDPA legality with both than anything else.

ETA: With the new rules on distance off the holster for strongside carry of ammo carriers....the Tekloks have a good amount of width to them so that the shooter can butt everything together and still have enough room to work especially if the loaders are spaced an inch apart...Tekloks to teklok to holster.

The modified speed loaders are ones that have been faced and had their diameter cut down.

There is a wide range of diameters of speed loaders from the SL Variants for J frame revolvers to HKS and SL Variant speed loaders for N frame guns. Some info on modifying speed loaders is

here. Info on diameter of speed loader holders is here.

Edited by slflr

Forrest: I am going the SLV route and have some coming. They are out of the handles right now so will try them without them. I am going to be very but that's alright I have to start somwhere :cheers: I have the brass, primers, powder and I have the shellplate coming from Dillon. I am going to just use my 5" 625 since I don't have a 4" and shoot with my local club. If it goes well then I will get a 625 4" coming. Thanks, Eric

Be sure to politely ask for your brass back too..I hear AR is expensive....you shouldn't run into too much trouble at a local match. Sometimes the "purists" are a little boisterous though. Rock on and good luck with your SSR bid. Once you get the hang of speedloaders...that thing is going to be deadly...230's at 105PF...get outta here 460fps!

Hello: I will probibly end up using the 200 grain round nose bullets at about 130PF. I think I can run faster than 460ft/s :roflol: I will mark the brass with a black strip and I should leave them in little piles either once or twice :cheers: It should be fun and a learning experience. I did end up ordering the SLV handles as well and the North Mountain holders. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I will probibly end up using the 200 grain round nose bullets at about 130PF. I think I can run faster than 460ft/s :roflol: I will mark the brass with a black strip and I should leave them in little piles either once or twice :cheers: It should be fun and a learning experience. I did end up ordering the SLV handles as well and the North Mountain holders. Thanks, Eric

Bring the new pop gun to Corpus so that I can give it a try. :cheers:

Gregg: Corpus is still up in the air for me. I like that match, since they do such a great job with the stages and the lunch :cheers: If I end up going you are welcome to shoot it. I am not yet classified in SSR or ESR so I will have to shoot the 1911 or 2011 in CDP or ESP. I am sure you will kick some butt there and make people wonder how you shoot a revolver so fast :surprise: Thanks, Eric

Hello: I tried the North Mountain speed loader holders today at our local IDPA match. They are very secure and easy to remove the speedloader from. I am using them on an N frame revolver. I like the Tec-Lok mount since I can remove the holders without removing my belt :surprise: Great product and fast service :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Tried the search feature prior to this post but got a driver error.

Shooting the SW 686P in a match next month and need to get some speedloaders and holders. Which ones should I buy. Price is not an issue. I only wanted to buy them once or until the next cool thing comes along.