Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheshire_Cat's Range Diary

Cheshire_Cat

Shot 300 to 400 rounds with my .22 conversion kit. I have a much easier time keeping my eyes open when shooting .22. This make my accuracy go way up. I practiced resetting my trigger finger during recoil. I still have to consciously think about resetting it. I need to practice until it becomes subconscious. It decreases my time between shots immensely. I am pretty sure I developed the bad habit of a slow trigger reset from the way I was dry firing my Glock. I would press until the "shot" broke, keep my trigger finger to the rear of the trigger, then rack the slide, then release my trigger finger to the pressure wall/reset point. Because of practicing this so much in dry fire, I developed the bad habit in live fire of keeping the trigger finger to the rear after the shot fired, then doing a slow reset. Not good. So, now I am working on fixing it.

Edited by Cheshire_Cat

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately I DQd today. On my third stage there was a texas star set up right along the left side of the range, right next to the 180 degree imaginary line. I am a right handed shooter and have small/medium size hands, so when I reload I cant the gun 30 degrees or so to the left to hit the mag catch. I shot a couple targets before the star, shots all the plates except for one on the star, so I reloaded, and when I did I canted the gun, thus breaking the 180. It sucks, but lesson learned.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I shot my first USPSA match in a couple years at Dundee yesterday. I ended up getting 40th out of 85 in the match and 16th out of 33 in Production. I currently have a D classification, but based on my overall performance yesterday I am probably closer to C.

I'm shooting a Glock 19 with stock sights, out of a Blade Tech Drop Offset Black Ice holster (with Tek-Lok attachment). Still too poor for a G34.

Edited by Cheshire_Cat

• 4 months later...

I've shot a couple matches since my last post.

07/27/14 Dundee USPSA G19
I got 25th out of 30 in Production.

08/09/14 Albany USPSA G19
I got 13th out of 17 in production.

10/11/14 Albany USPSA G34 (switched w/ a friend)

This was a classifier match with a couple longer stages.

I got 8th out of 16 in production. I classified as D class.

Range Sessions

07/12/14 Tri-County G22
~400 rounds
Shot the quals 3 times.
Close quarters from retention. Also, close quarters zipper drill with a finish to the head zone A.
Draw drills. Draw and shoot 1.
Bill drills
Accelerator drill (shot it once)

10/04/14 Tri-County G22
Shot the quals 3 times.
Precision shooting. 2 shots on a 3 inch dot from 3 to 25 yards. Did it twice.
Then 25 to 45 yards, 2 hits on steel target.
Then close up IDPA type stage, utilizing cover. 2 body hits or 1 head shot. On the first stage I did not utilize cover or slice the pie, and I had to make up a body shot. 2nd stage I utilized both, and did 4 head shots.

11/15/14 Vancouver Range
250/250 (15 X) Oregon
386/420 WA

This is the first time I've shot all the points possible on the Oregon course of fire, so I was happy with that.

Edited by Cheshire_Cat

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I shot my Glock 34 for the first time today. It definitely makes shooting at distance easier. I ran more bill drills. My best run with all As was 2.24 seconds. Once I push past 3 Seconds I find it more difficult to get all As.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot 400 or so rounds with a Glock 22. I did a reduced time qualification course and got 144/150 the first time and 145/150 the second time. Lastly, my G34 is now zeroed in at 15 yards (taran tactical).

Edited by Cheshire_Cat

• 4 weeks later...

Practiced some drills - Blake, FAST, the Dots. Then some 100 yr AR. I was shooting with some buddies,so it wasn't as focused as normal. I found the frank Garcia's dot drill challenging AR 5 yards, so I will continue to shoot it at that distance.

The fiber optic rod in my front sight must have fallen out last time I went shooting. So today I shot with no fiber rod. My average draw at 7 yards was 1.2 seconds.

Bill drill - goal Hit Factor 15 ...ran it 5 times

Avg HF 11.37

Blake drill goal Hit Factor 15 ...ran it 5 times

Avg HF 8.63

The Dots drill @ 5 yards

25 in, 11 out avg string time 5.26 sec

El Prez Goal HF 12

9.89 sec with 10 As and 2 Cs. HF 5.66

9.77 sec with 10 As and 2 Cs. HF 5.73

6.57 sec with 6A, 4C, 2D. HF 7

Notice my HF was better when I went for speed, even though my accuracy was worse.

Edited by Cheshire_Cat

• 3 weeks later...

I put a Jager steel guide rod and a 13 lb. ISMI recoil spring in my G34. Waiting on my replacement fiber optic rod, so today I shot with no fiber rod in the front sight again.

Started things off with the WA CJTC course of fire with my G34. I dropped 12 points (488/500).

I ran the Classifier CM 99-23 Front Sight 4 times during practice today https://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/99-23.pdf

Production Division
49 points
6.88 seconds
7.12 hit factor
56%

52 points
7.31 seconds
7.11 hit factor
56%

53 points
8.42 seconds
6.29 hit factor
50%

58 points
8.42 seconds
6.88 hit factor
54%

My scores were relatively consistent high C class.

I then ran a modified version of the el prez (same distance and target set up and got 58 points in 9.91 seconds).

I ran 3 bill drills...

30 points in 2.35 seconds (12.76 hit factor)

28 points in 2.41 seconds (11.62 hit factor)

24 points in 1.95 seconds (12.31 hit factor)

Average hit factor 12.23

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...